Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-29-2010, 03:27 AM   #136
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@mockingbird: See my answer on the main forum. (ie. hold [HOME] during a cold boot, that'll get you to the factory reset screen).

Because launching the factory reset script from a running framework probably wouldn't be pretty... .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:41 PM   #137
Beerbaron
Beerbaron began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsonZA View Post
I can confirm that the VNC server works on the standard port 5900. I started it up from an ssh shell as follows: /usr/sbin/ufbvncd -d

The -d switch puts in daemon or background mode. I haven't tried with the ENABLE_VNC file in /mnt/us/

Keyboard input doesn't seem to work. You can just see a mirror of what is happening on the Kindle's screen.

Thanks to ecostin and NiLuJe for all their efforts.
I am looking to install a remote software on to my kindle so that i can access it from another pc. How can i install vnc or any other software?

I have already followed the guides on here to jailbreak and add usbnetworking. I have changed the root password as well.

Thanks
Beerbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2010, 03:55 AM   #138
Beerbaron

anyone?
Old 11-12-2010, 11:02 AM   #139
Beerbaron

Heres in hope of a response

When i copy a file to the root directory when connected as USB, what directory does the file appear in when i connect via usbnetwork. I have telnet access but cant for the life of me find the file i copied.

Thanks.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:15 AM   #140
ecostin
Enthusiast
ecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role model

Device: PRS-500-505-700, Kindle3, KT, KPW, KPW2, KV, KOA
VNC with keyboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mubertmumphrey View Post
I couldn't get keyboard input, but the only VNC client I tried was RealVNC for Windows. ecostin, what client you were you using?
For the people having problems with the keyboard input via VNC:

- the ufbvncd daemon must be started before the Java framework for keyboard input to work, otherwise the VNC connection will not provide any input to the appication
- if the file ENABLE_VNC is present on the exported USB root, then the VNC daemon should start before the framework
- if the /usr/sbin/ufbvncd is started manually (say via ssh), then after starting it, run /etc/init.d/framework restart

The keys are mapped in a weird way, but it should be easy to find all of them by probing.
ecostin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2010, 05:33 AM   #141
Beerbaron

can you connect to the kindle via vnc when it is using 3G?

I can get vnc to work via usbnetworking but i am unable to connect using my home wireless. I have forced the kindle to use a specific ip address which i can ping but vnc fails to connect.

What key shows the Menu screen when accessing the kindle via vnc?

Last edited by Beerbaron; 11-15-2010 at 11:15 AM.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:15 PM   #142
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Beerbaron: You'll need to setup an iptables exception on the wlan0 interface on the port(s) the vnc daemon is using.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:08 AM   #143
Beerbaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Beerbaron: You'll need to setup an iptables exception on the wlan0 interface on the port(s) the vnc daemon is using.
Would something like this work?

iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 5900 -j ACCEPT

Thanks.

Last edited by Beerbaron; 11-16-2010 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:21 AM   #144
NiLuJe
BLAM!

You're missing the interface arg, but basically, yeah, that's it. Provided 5900 is the right port. (you can check the usb network hack for the full syntax).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-16-2010 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:39 AM   #145
Beerbaron

where would i include the interface in that line? vnc uses port 5900 i believe.

iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -i wlan0 --dport 5900 -j ACCEPT ??

how can i view the syntax?

Last edited by Beerbaron; 11-16-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:14 PM   #146
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Pretty much anywhere should do it. Find an iptables man page online
Old 11-16-2010, 02:23 PM   #147
Beerbaron

i have got it working via my wireless

How do i view the syntax of the usb network hack (update_usbnetwork_0.28.N_k3gb_install.bin) you mentioned earlier?

Last edited by Beerbaron; 11-16-2010 at 03:45 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:38 PM   #148
ubuntutech
ubuntutech began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Question Kindle DX Graphite

Anyone know if this works on a Kindle DX Graphite?

Also, is this dependent on a particular software version (as in, one that is only on the Kindle 3)?
ubuntutech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:38 PM   #149
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Beerbaron:
Don't bother about that if you got it working .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-16-2010 at 10:33 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:56 PM   #150
ubuntutech
ubuntutech began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
@NiLuJe
I'm looking to get a DXG but I don't have on yet to try on.
ubuntutech is offline   Reply With Quote