Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-03-2010, 02:18 PM   #1
Ghoda
Enthusiast
Ghoda is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo, Kobo for iPhone, Aluratek Libre
Bug Discovered in Sleep / Power Off - v1.4 Firmware

I have discovered that the Kobo will never sleep on initial power-up when no book is selected from the I'm Reading list. Subsequent returns to this list and the sleep / power-off works as expected.

Steps to reproduce issue
1) Turn on Kobo
2) Press no other buttons
3) Get distracted by a shiny thing and walk away
4) Come back the next day and notice that you have no battery left

I first noticed this because I sometimes power on the unit and go do something else for 5 -10 minutes. The times I was longer than 15 minutes I noticed that the unit never slept. Tested it by waiting 15, then 20, then 40 minutes.
Ghoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:27 PM   #2
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Ghoda - Their must be something more to make this happen. Do you have no books in your "i'm Reading" list? Do you have pdf docs or epub books or Kobo books?

I tried your steps 1 & 2, but then went and set my kitchen timer for 15 minutes (twice), and my Kobo first went to sleep and then powered off. I have an epub book at the top of my list.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2010, 04:30 PM   #3
tpw
Zealot
tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Sony PRS650
I can confirm this, I've seen mine do it. I guess most people turn on their Kobo and do a bit of reading before being distracted by a shiny thing, so the bug never gets noticed.
tpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:35 PM   #4
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

tpw -- What sort of books have you got in your "I'm reading" list? Maybe we can identify a common factor here...

I mean, it can't require a shiny thing, can it?
Old 08-03-2010, 05:28 PM   #5
Ghoda
Enthusiast

I have no epubs at this time, only kobo store books. I'll throw an epub on and hide my shiny thing to see if it makes a difference.
Advert
Old 08-03-2010, 05:39 PM   #6
tpw
Zealot
tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Sony PRS650
I usually have 3 or 4 epubs loaded by calibre in my I'm reading list. After I first upgraded to 1.4 I noticed the behaviour you describe, but have to admit I haven't seen it or really looked for it since. Maybe I ran out of shiny things?
tpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:56 PM   #7
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
Can you change the name/title of the first book in the "I'm Reading" list? Or with a backup safely saved somewhere, delete the first one that appears? I tried to reproduce your scenario, but I failed to get the Kobo to act like yours.
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:50 PM   #8
leighisme
Connoisseur
leighisme began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPhone 4, iPad2
I turned on my Kobo yesterday - it went to my reading list and I walked away. It went to sleep and shut down normally...
leighisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:23 PM   #9
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Just tried mine by turning it on and leaving it. It slept after 15 minutes, powered off after 30.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:54 AM   #10
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
My Kobo has been sitting on the "I'm Reading" page for almost 2 hours now. I have books that I bought from Kobo books and put on my reader through Calibre and I also have an SD card in there (not sure if that info helps).
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:19 PM   #11
Ghoda
Enthusiast

SD card? I have an SD card in there. I'll try pulling the SD and see if that changes it. This may indeed be the elusive shiny thing...
Old 08-04-2010, 01:45 PM   #12
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoda View Post
SD card? I have an SD card in there. I'll try pulling the SD and see if that changes it. This may indeed be the elusive shiny thing...
Let me know if it works!
Old 08-04-2010, 03:26 PM   #13
Pookeysgirl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
My Kobo has been sitting on the "I'm Reading" page for almost 2 hours now. I have books that I bought from Kobo books and put on my reader through Calibre and I also have an SD card in there (not sure if that info helps).
I took my SD Card out and now it goes into sleep mode from the "I'm Reading" page
Old 08-04-2010, 11:09 PM   #14
Ghoda
Enthusiast

Confirmed - The SD card is the fabled shiny thing.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:11 PM   #15
pholy
Booklegger

Yep! I put an SD card in and powered up, and it didn't go to sleep, so after 45 minutes I popped the SD card out, and 15 minutes later it was sleeping like a baby. I'm guessing in 15 minutes more, it'll turn off.

Look at the bright side: now we can defeat the auto-shutdown feature!

But it doesn't sleep, so it's still not great