Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 03-13-2010, 08:44 PM   #1
ltucci1924
ltucci1924 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: JETBOOK MINI RB
new jetbook lite sent back

I received a new jetbook lite today and just didn't like it at all. It was so very slow and needed light to be just right to be able to read it right. I have been useing a palm tungsten t3 for a very long time as a ebook reader and compaired to the jbl I fine the t3 to be much smaller and therefor more portable with a lost of just 4 words on screen and the t3 is also a tft screen but with a backlight. The screen is smaller but has almost the same amount of words as the jbl. The jbl has a good amount of spaceing in it on screen. They both have a great screen resalution but the t3 wins with the backlight over the jbl. Also the jbl is 6 x 4 1/4 and the t3 is 4 1/2 x 2 3/4 closed and opened it is 5 1/4 x 2 3/4.
jbl screen is 5" di the t3 is 3 3/4" di. but with almost the same amount of words because of closer spacing. I really wanted to like the new jbl. If it had closer spacing with more words on screen and had a backlight I might have kepted it. Both were at 12 pt front. So I sent the jbl back and now really like my t3 much more after the compairason. If a new reader comes out with the same tft screen with backlighting and faster operation I would look into it.
This is my first post here so helo to all and thank you for all the info I read here. I have been reading about the jb-jbl for days now and had lots of fun and enjoyment doing it so thanks again to all.

Last edited by ltucci1924; 03-13-2010 at 08:46 PM.
ltucci1924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:10 PM   #2
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
I agree with the part about the line spacing (when epub is loaded). If it were smaller, at least 5 or more extra lines could be accommodated on a screen. A little more left side margin would be nice too.

On the speed issue, I personally find it ok. Not great, but usable. The loading time is a tad long, but it doesn't have any page-turn flashes like the majority of its e-ink rivals.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2010, 01:24 AM   #3
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Welcome Itucci!

Since you are looking for a backlit screen, it sounds to me like you might be interested in the new Delstar OpenBook, which is currently on sale for $99.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/catal...n=push-product

Here's some discussion about it:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76233

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...hlight=Delstar

Last edited by GA Russell; 03-14-2010 at 01:28 AM.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:52 AM   #4
ltucci1924
ltucci1924 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: JETBOOK MINI RB
Hey GA thanks for that info. It looks like there might be a few reviews on it tomorrow or so. I am really interesed in the backlighting and resalution on it. I am looking forward to the reviews. I hope its faster than the JBL was. LOL
ltucci1924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:54 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple View Post
I agree with the part about the line spacing (when epub is loaded). If it were smaller, at least 5 or more extra lines could be accommodated on a screen. A little more left side margin would be nice too.

On the speed issue, I personally find it ok. Not great, but usable. The loading time is a tad long, but it doesn't have any page-turn flashes like the majority of its e-ink rivals.
I've got the Sony PRS300 ($200) and the Aluratek Libre ($140). The Libre is on par with the PRS300 as far as speed (or lack thereof) goes. Both have a rather slow processor, and one should expect them to be slower than the expensive readers. But they are both quite usable as you mentioned.

The Libre seems to display non-ePub books with way too much line space the way you described the JBL. I think it uses FBReader for non-ePubs. These books are readable but they look terrible due to the huge space between each line. It makes it look like an old type, double-spaced term paper from my college days! However, it displays ePubs very well, as the slightly blurry photos below shows. I was able to set the margins via Calibre to avoid the darn ADE page number fiasco.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	libre-01.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	427.5 KB
ID:	48027   Click image for larger version

Name:	libre-epub.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	277.5 KB
ID:	48032   Click image for larger version

Name:	libre-mobi.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	272.2 KB
ID:	48033  

Last edited by jswinden; 03-14-2010 at 01:13 PM.
Advert
Old 03-14-2010, 08:54 PM   #6
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
On my jB, epub's line spacing is identical to the one you have for mobi ebooks.

On a side note, I notice that your Libre actually displays the page number on the right side of the margin when it is in the landscape mode (the first image). Pretty interesting. Can it be turned on/off? jB's firmware hasn't got this feature yet.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:14 AM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple View Post
On my jB, epub's line spacing is identical to the one you have for mobi ebooks.

On a side note, I notice that your Libre actually displays the page number on the right side of the margin when it is in the landscape mode (the first image). Pretty interesting. Can it be turned on/off? jB's firmware hasn't got this feature yet.
I think the JB and Libre use different reading software and that might be why ePubs on the two look different. Actually, the page number on the right side is more of an annoyance than a feature, and it appears in portrait mode too. I think it is a built-in feature/annoyance of Adobe Digital Editions (ADE). I cannot figure out how to turn it off, so I increased the right margin via Calibre so that it would not overlay the book text. If left alone, it is displayed over the book text, which is kluge to say the least. The libre shows the book number in the header anyway, so it is not necessary for it to be displayed on the right of the screen. My Sony PRS300 also uses ADE to display ePubs and has the page numbers in the right margin too.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:29 AM   #8
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I increased the right margin via Calibre so that it would not overlay the book text. If left alone, it is displayed over the book text, which is kluge to say the least. The libre shows the book number in the header anyway, so it is not necessary for it to be displayed on the right of the screen. My Sony PRS300 also uses ADE to display ePubs and has the page numbers in the right margin too.
Were you able to use Calibre to make changes to an Adobe DRM ePUb? I didn't seem to be able to.
Desertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:55 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertway View Post
Were you able to use Calibre to make changes to an Adobe DRM ePUb? I didn't seem to be able to.
No. You have to strip away the DRM first. That is pretty easy once you get Python installed and attain the proper 2 scripts. I really cannot say much more about that due to forum regulations, but Google ineptepub.pyw and ineptkey.pyw and you will find a lot of how to info. I'll follow that up with my obligatory "only deDRM books for your own use" speech.

Last edited by jswinden; 03-15-2010 at 04:58 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:01 PM   #10
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Thanks. Yeah, I've been following that thread and messing with those scripts. I figured that it wasn't possible to edit drm'd books - just making sure.
Desertway is offline   Reply With Quote