Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-15-2010, 11:46 PM   #1
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Use non-AT&T carrier outside US?

Hi,

AT&T sim card is useless for my country, is there a way to make Nook recognize my home GSM (900Mhz) sim card and use local GPRS/EDGE connection for Daily and online Book browsing? (or even Nookbrowser, feeds).

If I need to root my Nook to achieve this, could I later unroot my Nook whilst still maintain and use my local SIM card?
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:31 AM   #2
TogTogTogTog
TogTogTogTog began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Hmm its possible. But currently no one has made anything remotely close to be able to use a different sim to browse with. I'd be interested to see if someone could jury-rig a kindle international sim-card into a Nook and see if that works.
TogTogTogTog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2010, 03:11 AM   #3
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Just found this web telling how to do it:

http://nookdevs.com/3G#Using_International_SIM_Card

From what I read, AT&T sim from Kindle 2 will not work on Nook.

So I have to root my Nook; and seems reverting to original Nook firmware will make international SIM card setting not functioning anymore.

Last edited by bthoven; 02-16-2010 at 03:14 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:30 AM   #4
:D ominik
Groupie
:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthoven View Post
So I have to root my Nook; and seems reverting to original Nook firmware will make international SIM card setting not functioning anymore.
It isn't necessary to go back to the original firmware to use the ATT SIM card again, just update the carriers db to use the ATT settings and insert the original SIM card again.

And by the way, there's only one reason to go back to the original firmware: if you need to send your device back to B&N to make use of your warranty.

Keep in mind to disable the PIN protection of your SIM, before using in the nook. Otherwise it'll get locked.

Bye,
Dominik
:D ominik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:52 AM   #5
bthoven
Evangelist

Hi Dominik,

What I mean was if I still want to use my local SIM card (I'm in Thailand) after going back to the virgin firmware, would it be possible? In other words, I just want this SIM card to work without keeping the rooted firmware.
Advert
Old 02-16-2010, 05:08 AM   #6
:D ominik
Groupie
:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook
I don't think so. Most likely the database will be overwritten during the firmware upgrade, but you'll need to try to get absolute certainty.

Bye,
Dominik
:D ominik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:58 AM   #7
TogTogTogTog
TogTogTogTog began at the beginning.

If your upgrading (or reverting) the firmware I'm almost certain it won't work. Why don't you just keep the rooted firmware though? Is it really that big of an issue?
TogTogTogTog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:16 AM   #8
bthoven
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TogTogTogTog View Post
If your upgrading (or reverting) the firmware I'm almost certain it won't work. Why don't you just keep the rooted firmware though? Is it really that big of an issue?
I don't know yet whether I'll have any big issue with the rooted Nook, just ask technical feasibility.

Thank you for all the answers.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:32 PM   #9
bthoven
Evangelist

Hi,

I rooted my Nook last night and it went very well without any hitches.

One thing I miss when using My Books (instead of Nook's "My Library") is the ability to skip the book selection to the last book on the screen by just pressing and holding the down arrow on the LCD for 2 seconds. Hope Nookdevs team will incorporate this feature in the next release. I love the Search function where I can also search by author name.

I also followed the instruction to allow me to install Nookdevs applications from Trook, it works flawlessly and very convenient.

I then tried to follow the instruction of adding my local GSM carrier into Nook; I can't go through it. It stuck when I query for the existing carriers in the Nook database, the message said that it cannot find that database. I tried several times and came out the same. Has anyone followed that instruction and was able to do it successfully? This is the last thing I need to complete my hack on Nook (for now).

Thanks a lot for the Nookdevs team.

Last edited by bthoven; 02-16-2010 at 09:35 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:45 PM   #10
klay
klay began at the beginning.

bthoven,

When you say that it stuck trying to query the database, this may be indicative of the issue.

Are you in adb shell when you run these commands?

the process should be -
adb connect
adb shell
sqlite3 <database>
select * from carriers;
klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:01 PM   #11
bthoven
Evangelist

Yes, I'm in adb shell. The sqlite3 command responded without any error. The error came from the select * from carriers. Sorry I can't remember the error message; but it complaint about the database (missing or cannot be opened).
Old 02-16-2010, 11:26 PM   #12
klay

what operating system is your computer that you are using to connect?
Old 02-16-2010, 11:51 PM   #13
bthoven
Evangelist

Winxp3. I have had no problem with adb connection because I've used adb with my Nook for other tasks.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:52 PM   #14
klay

are you using command.com or cmd.exe?
Old 02-17-2010, 01:18 AM   #15
bthoven
Evangelist

cmd.exe