Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-16-2009, 03:38 PM   #1
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
What are you gifting this Holiday Season?

I know that Desert Grandma has her thread on prepping for the holidays, but this one is a bit different.

a lot of us have people on our lives that don't really NEED anything more, and quite often (at least personally I think), whatever we might give them might seem tawdry or redundant. there are a couple of organizations, and these two I have used in the past, that really seem to make a difference.

here you can give a heifer, or a goat or a llama, or chickens... the list goes on! there are also anecdotes about the impact that these gifts make.

I have personal experience with this organization. my Grandmother taught on reservation schools and I spent a great deal of time with her learning about the reservations. the living conditions in some of these areas are truly amazing.

it's easy to lose sight of the big picture quite often in our hurry up material world. just think about it a bit. maybe Aunt Sarah doesn't need a $25 dollar dust catcher this year, but would be thrilled to know it has gone to help others in her name.

if I am supposed to put a disclaimer in here, this is it. I am not employed by, or in anyway affiliated with these organizations
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:26 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I know that Desert Grandma has her thread on prepping for the holidays, but this one is a bit different.

a lot of us have people on our lives that don't really NEED anything more, and quite often (at least personally I think), whatever we might give them might seem tawdry or redundant. there are a couple of organizations, and these two I have used in the past, that really seem to make a difference.

here you can give a heifer, or a goat or a llama, or chickens... the list goes on! there are also anecdotes about the impact that these gifts make.

I have personal experience with this organization. my Grandmother taught on reservation schools and I spent a great deal of time with her learning about the reservations. the living conditions in some of these areas are truly amazing.

it's easy to lose sight of the big picture quite often in our hurry up material world. just think about it a bit. maybe Aunt Sarah doesn't need a $25 dollar dust catcher this year, but would be thrilled to know it has gone to help others in her name.

if I am supposed to put a disclaimer in here, this is it. I am not employed by, or in anyway affiliated with these organizations
I"m so glad you posted this. I've seen their booklets, and often wondered if it was just another 'scam'.

Now I know what my best friend, who already has everything she wants, or can go get it if she chooses........will get. And I know she will be thrilled.

PS........I just looked and she's gifting a food basket donation. Lots of good food there.

Last edited by desertgrandma; 11-16-2009 at 10:30 PM. Reason: addendum.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2009, 01:18 AM   #3
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
I can't tell you how much those stoves and food baskets mean! I've been called a liar many times when I've tried to tell people the quality of life on some of the reservations... vast areas that still have no electricity or running water just to start!
Old 11-17-2009, 01:37 AM   #4
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
I used to teach on the Navajo rez and I met/married my husband there (rez boy). I didnʻt know about this organization. Pretty cool-- thanks for sharing these!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:57 AM   #5
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Thanks for that link - will have a look. In the past I bought chickens/ goats / wheelbarrows through Care. Most people weren't that impressed with the gifts i gave on their behalf (maybe they were insulted by my choice for them ) but tough luck.

Makes me feel better and takes care of xmas as well as reducing the danger of getting a crappy present back the next year.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2009, 12:27 PM   #6
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Hey, that is cool KK (and thanks DGM for the link). I've been considering doing exactly this for that last couple of weeks!

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:27 PM   #7
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I am familiar with Heifer International and think it does very good work. However, I am, sadly, not wealthy enough to contribute to all of the worthwhile charities and so have instead funneled my contributions to local food banks. We try to give several thousand dollars every year to our local food banks. I used to give to groups like Heifer but realized there is great need right in my own backyard.

Truthfully, we Americans can produce enough food to feed most of the world's hungry. We should be ashamed of our elected politicians who make the donation of food by the country so onerous. A year or so ago, there was an article in one of the national newspapers about how much food has to be destroyed because congress won't allow the government to ship food overseas unless it is carried by a U.S. flagged container ship and there are too few (and at too high a price) to transport all the available surplus food.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:29 PM   #8
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I"m so glad you posted this. I've seen their booklets, and often wondered if it was just another 'scam'.

Now I know what my best friend, who already has everything she wants, or can go get it if she chooses........will get. And I know she will be thrilled.

PS........I just looked and she's gifting a food basket donation. Lots of good food there.

No it IS legit - the heifer.org group. Several million was given to this organization by Bill and Melinda Gates.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:38 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think this would be a great place to post everyones favorite charity............and why.

So far this is mine, thanks to Kindlekitten

http://www.southwestindian.com/service/donations.cfm
Old 11-18-2009, 12:52 PM   #10
kennyc

I always (at least for the past few years) give some small amount annually to:

The Denver Rescue Mission (who serve meals to the local homeless)
The Dumb Friends League (animal shelter)
Various wildlife and nature societies (WWF, Nature Society, Sierra club etc)
Arapahoe Rescue Patrol (search and rescue done by teenagers)
Old 11-18-2009, 01:44 PM   #11
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I don't exchange gifts with my dad's family. There are too many of them and they don't reciprocate.

My mom's family used to draw names and you'd buy for that one person on behalf of everybody else, but really, they all are thankfully in the position where for the most part, they can buy their own stuff So what we do now is every adult brings $20 to the party and it goes into a pool. Two names are drawn and those two people split the money among the charities of their mutual choosing.

I do get a ton of holiday gift cards to a certain ritzy mall from the parents of kids I teach. I always buy something really extravagant since the mall has no practical stores at all. That is my big holiday shopping thing I got my Sony Reader with last year's gift cards
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:30 PM   #12
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
No it IS legit - the heifer.org group. Several million was given to this organization by Bill and Melinda Gates.
I've heard nothing BUT good about them, and the additional information you just provided that B&M Gates have donated to them makes me feel even better about Heifer International. Thanks!

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 11-18-2009 at 09:22 PM. Reason: BIG OPPS!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 03:25 PM   #13
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I've heard nothing good about them, and the additional information you just provided that B&M Gates have donated to them makes me feel even better about Heifer International. Thanks!

You've heard NOTHING GOOD or NOTHING BUT GOOD?

Old 11-18-2009, 08:42 PM   #14
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
You've heard NOTHING GOOD or NOTHING BUT GOOD?

I think he meant nothing BUT good.

I have received a question about the Southwest Indian Foundation and will be contacting them tomorrow as well as at least 2 tribal councils. I'll ask the councils if they have a charoty of choice
Old 11-18-2009, 08:52 PM   #15
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
I think he meant nothing BUT good.

I have received a question about the Southwest Indian Foundation and will be contacting them tomorrow as well as at least 2 tribal councils. I'll ask the councils if they have a charoty of choice
Thank you kk..........I"ll be waiting for your answer.

I've been talking with my husband about using the food baskets in lieu of Christmas presents for friends and family.