Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-04-2009, 09:32 AM   #31
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laine View Post
I used to like to go into Sydney and visit 6 bookshops. Now I stay awake till 3 am or later every Tuesday morning waiting for the new ebooks to come up on Fictionwise. That doesn't make me sound pathetic does it? :-)

Laine
On the other hand, I'll soon be flying down to Sydney to stay for a couple of days partly to visit those six bookshops (Kinokuniya and Galaxy being the favourites). Does that make me sound pathetic?

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:03 PM   #32
ronejay
ronejay began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
Has having a ereader changed your reading habits?
Most definitely! Not much of a reader until I bought a Treo. When our PC crashes I had to switch to iPhone since none of the Palm devices support Vista. I read whenever I get a chance. When I'm home my iphone stays with me from room to room, in case I have a few minutes to read. Hubby thinks I'm nuts but I think he's just jealous .
ronejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2009, 09:19 PM   #33
AuPhinger
Aficionado
AuPhinger began at the beginning.

Device: Rags to Riches - K1, K2, 500
I have been wondering about this very topic in my own situation. Just been reading the Kindle for a month or so now. But I read a very wide range of books, an interest will "kindel" and I head off; I am at the library, buying used from Amazon, etc. etc.

Now, I wonder, will the Kindle change my habits; will I tend to read only that which is available for it? I don't know.

Although my wife hates the clutter, I also "like" books, and have many around. And in that I use the library and buy used books a lot, even with shipping, ebooks will tend to run more than what I have been spending. Especially if I want to put one on the bookshelf as well.

Anyway---I guess my prime unknown is if the eBook concept will totally change my mode of reading, or merely complement it??

Gene
AuPhinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:16 AM   #34
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
On the other hand, I'll soon be flying down to Sydney to stay for a couple of days partly to visit those six bookshops (Kinokuniya and Galaxy being the favourites). Does that make me sound pathetic?

Cheers,
Marc
I still visit them. Oh yes, I still visit them but not as often.
Congratulations on being able to really spell Kinothingy as I call it. How do you pronounce it?

Did you know Angus and Robertson is no more in Pitt St? There is still Dymocks, Borders, Galaxy, Abbeys and Kinothingy.

Laine
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:03 AM   #35
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laine View Post
I still visit them. Oh yes, I still visit them but not as often.
Congratulations on being able to really spell Kinothingy as I call it. How do you pronounce it?
Every time I try pronounce it I end up with about seven too many syllables (onji?). Correspondingly, my success at spelling it correctly can only be put down to Google.

Quote:
Did you know Angus and Robertson is no more in Pitt St? There is still Dymocks, Borders, Galaxy, Abbeys and Kinothingy.
I did not know that. A&R seem to have been suffering a long, drawn out, death. That Pitt St. store, once a favourite, gradually end up having the "bargain basement" feel of so many A&Rs in all the Westfield Shopping Centres. I like Borders, no matter where; I tolerate Dymocks because of their range/size; Abbeys always feels pleasantly like a little jump to the left ("and then a step to the ri-i-i-i-i-ight..."); Kinothingy (which is what I'll now call it ) is amazingly thorough, huge, and their filing system just incredibly precise; Galaxy...well, Galaxy is a Sydney SF-lovers dream.

Okay, stop it, Laine. You're getting me over-excited.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2009, 02:12 AM   #36
Falbe Publishing
Gadget Slave
Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS505SC
I read both books and ebooks. I think I prefer the ebooks a little more for comfortable reading. For example, mass market paperbacks tend to let the text go too far into the interior margin so I have to bend the book open more and basically wear it out just to read it.

As for changing my reading habits, ebooks have gotten me to read many more classics.
Falbe Publishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:31 AM   #37
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
Quote:
Every time I try pronounce it I end up with about seven too many syllables (onji?). Correspondingly, my success at spelling it correctly can only be put down to Google.

I did not know that. A&R seem to have been suffering a long, drawn out, death. That Pitt St. store, once a favourite, gradually end up having the "bargain basement" feel of so many A&Rs in all the Westfield Shopping Centres. I like Borders, no matter where; I tolerate Dymocks because of their range/size; Abbeys always feels pleasantly like a little jump to the left ("and then a step to the ri-i-i-i-i-ight..."); Kinothingy (which is what I'll now call it ) is amazingly thorough, huge, and their filing system just incredibly precise; Galaxy...well, Galaxy is a Sydney SF-lovers dream.

Okay, stop it, Laine. You're getting me over-excited.

Cheers,
Marc
Kinothing is the short version. My full name for it is Kinothingywhatchamacallit.

If you like Galaxy you should go to the meet up in Melbourne. Minotaur in Melbourne is BIGGER than Galaxy!
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 10:40 AM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:

Cheers,
Marc
Good heavens no. I regularly plan trips based on the quality of the bookshops in the places I visit. One of my favourite places to visit is a little town called "Alnwick" (pronounced "Anick") on the Scottish borders, which has what they claim is the largest 2nd hand bookshop in the UK, filling (and overflowing) what used to be the town's railway station. A wonderful place!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 10:46 AM   #39
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Good heavens no. I regularly plan trips based on the quality of the bookshops in the places I visit.
Same here. When I was a young pup and lived up in Rhode Island I was in some group, I can't remember what it was, maybe BCS. Anyway we all made a trip up to Boston to this book store (the MIT one maybe, can't remember) that had an SF/Fantasy section bigger than most book stores of the day. (This was back in the 80s before the massive B&N and Borders stores of today.)

It was a fun trip. Alas I didn't have alot of cash or I would have needed a truck to take my purchases home.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 10:58 AM   #40
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Just got my Kindle, but it will be pretty much eBooks only from here out.

I hated buying books as I seldom re-read any so they just end up getting lugged home and stored in my parents attic or donated etc. So I much prefer just to read an ebook and not have to worry about having a physical book sitting around when I'm done reading it.

And I'm sure I'll read more now as I often avoided buying books for that and was often too lazy to bother with the library (though not for the past couple of years since I live 2 blocks from one).
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote