Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-05-2009, 12:30 PM   #1
dobalina
dobalina began at the beginning.

Device: none
I read .pdf's. With graphs. And I'm sort of cheap.

Hi. I think I know the answer to my question but I hope you'll help me make sure that I'm not overlooking anything.

In my job, I read a lot of .pdfs. Mostly annual/quarterly reports and financial statements, as well as chart-laden financial research published by various banks and brokers. Often, these documents are big, multi-colored, and graphics-intensive (for documents, that is).

I think that means I'm going to want 16-shade grayscale. And I think that means that bigger is better as far as screen size goes.

As I understand it, among existing readers, only the iRex products fit the bill. But thanks to the recent price hike (demand must be pretty strong to raise prices in this environment), the iRex products look expensive-- especially with price talk of $350 for the Astak Pro Mentor and $450 for the Plastic Logic Whatchamacalit. But these two devices appear to be showing schedule slippage.

So unless I want to wait an unknown amount of time, I'm going to have to bite the iRex bullet. Which means $700 for a mid-sized screen with wireless, or $850 for a large screen without wireless (and I can't now get a vanilla DR1000 without a stupid stylus-- which means I'm shelling out for a feature I absolutely don't want).

Do I understand all of this correctly? Have I made any unfounded (or overstated) assertions or assumptions?

Thank you.
dobalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:31 PM   #2
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Nope. You have seen it correct.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2009, 04:31 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
You don't _have_ to get an Eink device. There are a number of cheap tablets on Ebay. I have the following, and it's pretty good with PDFs:

discussion
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...427#post294427

legacy support site:
http://www.la.viewsonic.com/support/...l100/#features

ebay auction:
http://search.ebay.com/airpanel-100_...dsreturnedZ300

I'm getting at least 5 hours battery life.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:13 PM   #4
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
I agree with Nate...and why would you ever want to spend the price it would take to get an iRex when you can get a fully functional tablet or netbook for less than an iRex? I saw one of these recently and it looks like a great choice:

HP Mini 1000 XP
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:32 AM   #5
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
The HP Mini 1000 XP is not a Tabletpc, but just one more of today's crop of the so called "netbook" computers.
They are outstanding good, capable machines, and portable too, but they are no Tabletpcs.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2009, 12:19 PM   #6
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Yeah, I know it's not a tablet (I have an ASUS r2h tablet), but unless you have a specific need for a tablet, the HP looks like an affordable solution. I saw one at the store the other day and have been thinking about it ever since.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:25 PM   #7
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Asus is planning on a 8.9 EEE Tablet PC (got me on the release date, but in this market, you snooze you loose, and Asus was the first company to make a Netbook so i expect to see it within a few months)
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote