Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-03-2008, 08:49 PM   #61
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Ricky, before you cover that primer with your chalkboard paint, try a small test swatch. It might not be strong enough to work well through a layer of anything else.

I'm really sorry to hear about your bites. I expect you've tried ice by now. It's probably well past the point where baking soda would do any good. But there's a product out there called "after-bite" that seems to really help with various kinds of stings and bites. I think it's actually made of (oddly enough) meat tenderizer. I've had good results, even if I don't get to apply it right away. Worth a shot, perhaps.
According to the people who make the magnetized paint primer (Rustoleum), who are the same folks who make the chalkboard paint, you are supposed to be able to use the two together in order to create a magnetic chalkboard.

So .... I am now (once again) three coats into the primer, this time on both doors, and I am going to do a fourth coat tonight, then let it dry overnight and test it in the morning. I have rolled this stuff on so thinly and so smoothly ... it sure better work.

The sting spot on my left arm has increased in size now to the point that it is an oval of about 4 by 3 inches. I am starting to suspect that it has become infected ... with staph ... and if that is the case, this will be my fourth staph infection this year. Am I in a rut or what??

I've got some antibiotics in the house, and I will start on them tonight. We'll see how it goes from there. I know the surgical procedure to lance and drain the area if it is staph (backwards, forwards and sideways ... having performed it on myself several times now) ... and, actually, it will be a whole lot easier working on myself on my left side front (since I am right handed).

And to all of you who might read this and cringe ... trust me ... it is much less painful to cut yourself with a sharp scalpel than it is to take injections of lidocaine. That stuff will make the strongest man give up state secrets in a heartbeat.

Going to finish up the painting for the day ... watch a movie and read some before bed. I'm hoping that word got out to the rest of the scorpion population in the area that they were soundly routed in the "Battle of Chocolate Sheets" and that they won't come back for a rematch.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 04:53 AM   #62
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Every night is get at Geoff night!!

GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2008, 08:09 AM   #63
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Is there, somewhere in the state of Texas, the site of a large "Let's Torture RickyMaveety" themepark, with an ever evolving set of "rides" devised by a bunch of machiavellian sadist (aka "cats")?
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:52 AM   #64
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post

Now, now .... you know we love you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyScot View Post
Is there, somewhere in the state of Texas, the site of a large "Let's Torture RickyMaveety" themepark, with an ever evolving set of "rides" devised by a bunch of machiavellian sadist (aka "cats")?

Yes, yes there is ... and I'm living right smack in the middle of it. By the time I went to bed last night the upper arm was totally red and puffy. However, this morning (after another dose of antibiotics) it is looking a teensy bit more normal. Sticking very close to home today.

Although, the good news is that it is my left arm. So, I was able to accurately chuck a rock at the rattler on the trail this morning. He rattled his ... displeasure ... at being whacked upside the head with a rock, but he did leave the trail so the girls and I could pass.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:33 AM   #65
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Now, now .... you know we love you.

Yes, yes there is ... and I'm living right smack in the middle of it. By the time I went to bed last night the upper arm was totally red and puffy. However, this morning (after another dose of antibiotics) it is looking a teensy bit more normal. Sticking very close to home today.

Although, the good news is that it is my left arm. So, I was able to accurately chuck a rock at the rattler on the trail this morning. He rattled his ... displeasure ... at being whacked upside the head with a rock, but he did leave the trail so the girls and I could pass.
You're a better chucker than I am. Took me 6 - 8 just to hit one & then it was still a miss for the head. I decided not to continue since I would have to come back that way. I knew where he was then but when I came back I wouldn't. And yes we do have rattle snakes in Alabama.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2008, 11:35 AM   #66
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post

Consider some dark chocolate coming your way to make you happier. May be because 3 of my grandparents had Scottish surnames.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:47 AM   #67
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Consider some dark chocolate coming your way to make you happier. May be because 3 of my grandparents had Scottish surnames.
Yeah, but he's a Yorkshirian, actually.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 12:39 PM   #68
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
You're a better chucker than I am. Took me 6 - 8 just to hit one & then it was still a miss for the head. I decided not to continue since I would have to come back that way. I knew where he was then but when I came back I wouldn't. And yes we do have rattle snakes in Alabama.
I was always a good aim with a rock ... and fairly good with a rifle too for that matter.

Back to the project ... how's this for funny? The instructions on the Rustoleum Magnetic Paint can are wrong!! I just got off the phone with the company, and they are printing up new labels. It turns out that 2-3 thin coats will not work. You either need to make the coats really thick ... or do more like 6-8 coats.

HA!! This is soooo typical of how things work in my world.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:56 PM   #69
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
I was always a good aim with a rock ... and fairly good with a rifle too for that matter.
note to self : do not make ricky mad, at least not when there are rocks or a rifle in proximity.

Quote:
Back to the project ... how's this for funny? The instructions on the Rustoleum Magnetic Paint can are wrong!! I just got off the phone with the company, and they are printing up new labels. It turns out that 2-3 thin coats will not work. You either need to make the coats really thick ... or do more like 6-8 coats.

HA!! This is soooo typical of how things work in my world.
arg !!! i think i would be at the rock-throwing stage by now. you should make them send someone to your house and finish that damned thing for you. of course, i imagine the thin coats you've already put on should count as 1 thick one, so you've only got 2 more thick ones to go, right ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 01:02 PM   #70
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
note to self : do not make ricky mad, at least not when there are rocks or a rifle in proximity.
Well, I've only ever shot someone to wound them (and that was to stop them from killing me, so that's fair ... I think).

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
arg !!! i think i would be at the rock-throwing stage by now. you should make them send someone to your house and finish that damned thing for you. of course, i imagine the thin coats you've already put on should count as 1 thick one, so you've only got 2 more thick ones to go, right ?
Nah. It takes a lot to make me mad. Even with Mr. (or Ms.) Rattler, I just wanted him or her off the damn trail so the dogs and I could get home.

I'm going to stick with thin coats and just do several more. The only problem with doing the coats thick is that they might get runny. It's not a big deal to do four more coats ... they only take 30 minutes to dry between coats. It's just a matter that I want to make certain it's working fairly well before I stick the chalkboard paint on top.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:19 PM   #71
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Quote:
Good grief! It's official. I will not being purchasing or using any magnetic paint.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 01:32 PM   #72
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookishDreamer View Post
Good grief! It's official. I will not being purchasing or using any magnetic paint.

Dreamer

Yeah, I really don't think it would work for what you wanted. They confirmed to me that all of those paints are just iron filings suspended in a clear base. And, it takes quite a lot of filings to get the magnets to stick.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:22 AM   #73
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
... And yes we do have rattle snakes in Alabama.
We have them here in DC too. We call them Congress.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 02:00 PM   #74
slayda
Retired & reading more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Trouble is, yours strike with no warning.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:50 PM   #75
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Quote:
Trouble is, yours strike with no warning.
Ah ... urban myth. Rattlers don't always warn, and Congress has bitten the voters so many times now, we really should consider ourselves warned, and warned again. But do we ever learn?? Hell no!

Tags
duck!