Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats > IMP

Notices

Old 04-10-2008, 02:32 PM   #1
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
Use two fonts in imp files?

I have a book in which there are lots of paragraphs representing a dream in the storyline.

I want to use a different font for these so they are noticeable.

However, as eBook Publisher does not recognise font-family names -- only serif or sans-serif -- I have used serif in the main body and sans-serif in the "dream" paragraphs.

My problem is getting the "dream" paragraph text to increase or decrease when selecting the zoom option.

The main body text does this but I cannot work out what I am doing wrong with the "dream" text.

In my html code I have a class set up for the "dream" text as follows:

.dream { font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 13pt;}

If I omit the font-size then the text appears too large.

I can get it to zoom if I use font-size: xx-small, small, medium etc but the text is far too large even using xx-small.

Is this a bug or is it me?
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 02:59 PM   #2
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post
I have a book in which there are lots of paragraphs representing a dream in the storyline.

I want to use a different font for these so they are noticeable.

However, as eBook Publisher does not recognise font-family names -- only serif or sans-serif -- I have used serif in the main body and sans-serif in the "dream" paragraphs.

My problem is getting the "dream" paragraph text to increase or decrease when selecting the zoom option.

The main body text does this but I cannot work out what I am doing wrong with the "dream" text.

In my html code I have a class set up for the "dream" text as follows:

.dream { font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 13pt;}

If I omit the font-size then the text appears too large.

I can get it to zoom if I use font-size: xx-small, small, medium etc but the text is far too large even using xx-small.

Is this a bug or is it me?
I'm afraid you have hit a limitation using the current "built-in" font sets. Sans-serif is a "large" font used mainly for headings. You may wish to try 'font-family: monospace; font-size: xx-small' or simply just use the same font but superscript it i.e. surround it with '<sup> ... </sup>' (EDIT: this doesn't work so well) or italize it i.e. '<i> ... </i>'. How about using a different color font, perhaps a medium gray.

Check the attachment here starting on page 9 to see the current "built-in" font sets. You can change the view on the 1150 to see the effect of using the different sizes with zooming. Also, near the end of this test document, you will find a section on using color (ok grayscale for the 1150). Play with the different combinations. If you want the background to change, then you will need to put the 'dream' part inside an (invisible) table using the <td> and color.

By the way, DaleDe has a nice summary of how the different font sizes relate to the built-in sizes. Just check the website link under his signature in any post.

Last edited by nrapallo; 04-10-2008 at 03:31 PM. Reason: added another solution (color fonts)
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2008, 03:30 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
I'm afraid you have hit a limitation using the current "built-in" font sets. Sans-serif is a "large" font used mainly for headings. You may wish to try 'font-family: monospace; font-size: xx-small' or simply just use the same font but superscript it i.e. surround it with '<sup> ... </sup>' (EDIT: this doesn't work so well) or italize it i.e. '<i> ... </i>'. How about using a different color font, perhaps a medium gray.

Check the attachment here starting on page 9 to see the current "built-in" font sets. You can change the view on the 1150 to see the effect of using the different sizes with zooming. Also, near the end of this test document, you will find a section on using color (ok grayscale for the 1150). Play with the different combinations. If you want the background to change, then you will need to put the 'dream' part inside an (invisible) table using the <td> and color.

By the way, DaleDe has a nice summary of how the diferrent font sizes relate to the built-in sizes. Just check the website link under his signature in any post.
Here is the IMP file I used to determine the relationship of all the font sizes. you might try relative sizes in your font statement.

Edit: I have been asked for the source for this document so here it is. It is crude done quick and dirty with all the style in the main document.

Dale
Attached Files
File Type: imp sample.imp (39.0 KB, 796 views)
File Type: zip Sample.zip (6.6 KB, 841 views)

Last edited by DaleDe; 04-11-2008 at 05:42 PM. Reason: add an attachment.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:46 PM   #4
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
Thanks for your help guys.

After spending some time doing different tests I have decided to make it easier on myself and have all the "dream" text bold.

At least all the text will then respond to the zoom button.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote