Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-02-2013, 04:43 PM   #1
ljrkrispes
Enthusiast
ljrkrispes began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 1
trying mightily to move books from Kindle App on Macbook (Mountain Lion) to Calibre

New to Calibre and this whole DRM thing. Just trying to move books from Kindle App on my MacBook (running Mountain Lion). I have spent most of the day searching various places for help but am not successful thus far. I am running most up to date Calibre. I can't seem to get the book files from the Kindle App to move. I have gone to Kindle/Preferences/Content Folder/Change and tried to drag the BOOCBYQ5C_EBOK line to the Calibre App and Calibre Icon. No joy. I must be missing something simple, but it's been about 6 hours so far....begging for help..Linda
ljrkrispes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:53 PM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljrkrispes View Post
New to Calibre and this whole DRM thing. Just trying to move books from Kindle App on my MacBook (running Mountain Lion). I have spent most of the day searching various places for help but am not successful thus far. I am running most up to date Calibre. I can't seem to get the book files from the Kindle App to move. I have gone to Kindle/Preferences/Content Folder/Change and tried to drag the BOOCBYQ5C_EBOK line to the Calibre App and Calibre Icon. No joy. I must be missing something simple, but it's been about 6 hours so far....begging for help..Linda
Detailed help with DRM removal isn't permitted at MobileRead. However, since some books at Amazon are DRM free, I think it's fine to tell you how to copy those books from the Kindle for Mac application into calibre.

And the answer is that you don't do it from the Kindle for Mac application itself, but from the Finder. You just need to open the folder where Kindle for Mac stores the ebook files, and drag the .azw files onto the calibre window.

Mountain Lion probably tries to hide the default Location from you. I suggest changing the location in the Kindle Preferences to somewhere easily accessible, like {user folder}/Documents/Kindle Content.

Mountain Lion might also be hiding the file extensions from you, making it hard to be sure which files are the books, and which are the support files. I suggest going to Finder/Preferences/Advanced and checking the "Show all filename extensions" checkbox.

With those two changes, you should have no more problems getting your (DRM-free) ebooks into calibre.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2013, 08:28 PM   #3
MelBr
Zealot
MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Mountain Lion probably tries to hide the default Location from you. I suggest changing the location in the Kindle Preferences to somewhere easily accessible, like {user folder}/Documents/Kindle Content.
No need… you can just hit Shift+⌘+G in Finder and paste this in:

Code:
~/Library/Application Support/Kindle/My Kindle Content
And it will take you to Kindle's default content folder.

Or you can type this in:

Code:
sudo chflags nohidden ~/Library/
into a Terminal window and Library will be permanently visible from Finder.
MelBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:01 PM   #4
ljrkrispes
Enthusiast
ljrkrispes began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 1
Thanks for the great help!

I used MelBr's kind assistance to find my Kindle Content folder and successfully moved the books into Calibre. But what is a Terminal window so that I can use the second suggestion to make my Library permanently visible?

And thank you as well to pdurrant for the helpful suggestions. I am retiring in a few years and moving to an RV--need to gain some control over the extensive (and ruthlessly curated) library.
ljrkrispes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:49 AM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljrkrispes View Post
But what is a Terminal window so that I can use the second suggestion to make my Library permanently visible?
A Terminal Window is one that opens when you run the Terminal app and that allows you to run commands via the text based Command Line interface to OS/X. It is often used when you want to do something that the GUI of OS/X does not easily support.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert