Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 01-23-2008, 07:34 PM   #1
BasilC
Zealot
BasilC is on a distinguished road

Device: Palm Tungsten T3
What are we going to do about Adobe?

I can't be the only person who is thoroughly fed up with Adobe and the problems with their DRM system. I have spent large amounts of money on DRM'd pdf books and am unable to read any of them. I can't get their stupid new Digital Editions to work, and I can't transfer any new books to my Palm pda.

I think we need to organise a campaign to stop publishers using PDF for DRM'd ebooks. Their customers are getting ripped off, but it's the fault of Adobe, not the publishers.

Any thoughts?
BasilC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:09 PM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Check this thread too.
http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc4a07a
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2008, 09:29 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
If you were in the US, I would recommend that you sue Adobe in small claims court. Since you're in England, I don't know what your legal options are, but I still think you should sue them.

I'm serious. Okay, several thousand nuisance lawsuits is not the best way to get their attention. But I do think it would bring negative publicity, and that would get through to them.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 12:01 AM   #4
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
I accidentally encountered this problem when I checked some ebooks out of the library. I've got Adobe Acrobat 7.0 installed on my computer and, for some reason, Adobe's new Digital Editions software was automatically installed to my computer (without my knowledge). When the Digital Editions software was installed to my computer the file association for PDF files and EBT files was changed to Digital Editions. When I opened up the library books, they opened up in Digital Editions. I couldn't figure out why I could not read them in Acrobat 7.0 or why I could not send the books to my pocket pc. Later, after spending quite a lot of time looking for answers on the internet, I figured out what happened.

This is what you need to do:

If you installed or upgraded to Adobe Acrobat 8.0 or Adobe Reader 8.0, uninstall the software and go back to Adobe Acrobat 7.0 or Adobe Reader 7.0. You can still download this version of Adobe Reader from Adobe's website.

Then uninstall the Digital Editions software completely from your computer.

Open Adobe Acrobat 7.0 or Adobe Reader 7.0 and disable the feature that automatically updates the software (to prevent your software from being upgraded to 8.0 without your knowledge):
Edit > Preferences > Updates > select the option "Do not automatically check for critical updates"
Change the file association for PDF files back to Adobe Reader 7.0 (or Adobe Acrobat 7.0): open up File Explorer > select Tools > Folder Options > File Types > find and highlight the PDF file type > select the "Change" button and select Adobe Reader 7.0 or Adobe Acrobat 7.0.

This won't fix the books you've already opened in the Digital Editions software, but now when you download DRM protected PDF files, you can use them as you are accustomed to.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:19 PM   #5
charlieperry
Connoisseur
charlieperry doesn't littercharlieperry doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
Digital Editions is awful. What use is an ebook which you can't print or put on a device? I'd love to take them to the small claims court.
charlieperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2008, 08:39 PM   #6
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Well, Adobe now has released a Beta of the next iteration of Digital Editions which is supposed to overcome the limitations of the existing version. I won't be giving it a try because I don't want to mess up any of my PDF books that have DRM (I don't have many of them and won't be buying any more). But you can learn more about this new Beta version here:

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/d...tions/install/

And there is a discussion thread here about the new Beta version:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20540

Last edited by ProfJulie; 02-13-2008 at 08:43 PM.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:47 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I am a little puzzled by this. A number of people on this forum have confidently stated that DE will be available on the Sony Reader by the end of Feb, but that certainly doesn't seem to fit in with what appears to still be a rather early beta product! Could anyone clarify?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 08:17 AM   #8
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
AFAIR there were some vague promises of a firmware update this month, possibly with improved PDF viewer shown at CES. I don't think there was anything definite on DE or epub support.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:56 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
My own recollections match igorsk's -- the DE stuff was just speculation.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 11:43 AM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
My own recollections match igorsk's -- the DE stuff was just speculation.
exactly true with my recollections as well. A lot of people jump to conclusions that are not in the original. There should a modified PDF version soon for the Sony platform that does reflow but that is all I remember from the original announcements.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 01:21 PM   #11
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Two threads about this from last month after the CES:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19023
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18615

Skimming these I see no mention by Sony about Adobe DE support in the planned software update that was hoped for by late February.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 01:26 PM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm surprised that no one remembers that we discussed this here. Sony demoed reflowable PDFs at CES, with an expected release date of "soon". DE support was given a release date of "eventually".
Old 02-16-2008, 01:31 PM   #13
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
For me hope frequently leads to delusion.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 04:40 PM   #14
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
If you were in the US, I would recommend that you sue Adobe in small claims court. Since you're in England, I don't know what your legal options are, but I still think you should sue them.

I'm serious. Okay, several thousand nuisance lawsuits is not the best way to get their attention. But I do think it would bring negative publicity, and that would get through to them.
Today's sue-happy society in the U.S. is completely reprehensible and disgusting. Adobe has done nothing wrong and has certainly done nothing illegal. It's so sad that when consumers make a bad purchase that their first instinct would be to sue the company they purchased the product(s) from. I don't like DE, although I don't mind Adobe. I don't buy DE books, though, and I expect this to be an adequate way to show my distaste. I don't go out and buy something I don't like and then sue the company. Such a solution is so mind-bogglingly stupid, it gives me a headache just to consider it.

But hey, maybe if you're lucky tons of people will sue Adobe to the point that Adobe loses enough money to result in layoffs. When people start losing their jobs as the economy seeps lower into a recession, it'll definitely prove you're sticking up for the little guy!
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 05:42 PM   #15
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMatt View Post
Today's sue-happy society in the U.S. is completely reprehensible and disgusting. Adobe has done nothing wrong and has certainly done nothing illegal. It's so sad that when consumers make a bad purchase that their first instinct would be to sue the company they purchased the product(s) from. I don't like DE, although I don't mind Adobe. I don't buy DE books, though, and I expect this to be an adequate way to show my distaste. I don't go out and buy something I don't like and then sue the company. Such a solution is so mind-bogglingly stupid, it gives me a headache just to consider it.

But hey, maybe if you're lucky tons of people will sue Adobe to the point that Adobe loses enough money to result in layoffs. When people start losing their jobs as the economy seeps lower into a recession, it'll definitely prove you're sticking up for the little guy!
If I pay money for an ebook and it stops working, I have suffered a loss. If the Adobe DRM on the file is the reason it stops working, then Adobe has caused my loss. Very few ebook retailers will give a refund, and none will because of DRM problems. Why shouldn't I sue Adobe?

You say that Adobe has done nothing wrong. Given all the many ways that a PDF can stop working due to the DRM, I must disagree.

P.S. Please note that I said small claims court in my previous post. I want people to sue Adobe only for the money spent on the PDFs. I did not suggest suing for absurd amounts of money.