Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 11-10-2011, 12:33 PM   #16
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
The thing is it still has more than the Fire spec-wise but the Fire does have the content right out of the box. Dunno, I prefer the Nook myself from what I've read so far. Add in 15 minutes of rooting and you get better content than EITHER device stock, as well as the better hardware the Nook comes with.

Last edited by Grimm; 11-10-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:23 PM   #17
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
For a "Tablet" device it really needs all, or at least most of, the other hardware specified in the Android 2.3 Compatibility Definition.
The Nook Tablet is missing cameras and a GPS; but then, so did the iPad 1 WiFi. Did that mean the iPad wasn't a real tablet? And iPad 2 WiFi is still missing a GPS. Not a real tablet?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2011, 03:21 PM   #18
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Lulz, good points.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:57 AM   #19
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
The Nook Tablet is missing cameras and a GPS;
If you read the Android 2.3 Compatibility Definition you will see that it is missing much more than that.
Quote:
but then, so did the iPad 1 WiFi. Did that mean the iPad wasn't a real tablet? And iPad 2 WiFi is still missing a GPS. Not a real tablet?
I did not buy those either.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:49 AM   #20
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
The reason Kindle Fire gets so much attention is the content. Amazon will be able to offer a pretty extensive library of music and video. That is much more important to the majority of consumers than hardware specs.

Amazon is positioning themselves to compete directly with Apple. B&N has little hope of doing that at this point.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2011, 12:31 AM   #21
Grimm
DRM killer

If they really want to compete with Apple, Amazon needs a larger device.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:50 AM   #22
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
And international sales and support! The Fire would be pretty worthless to me and I am only in Canada (and they aren't even offering the touch or fire kindles here yet). Even the Nook Tablet is catering to the US (and all nooks for that matter). I am not sure if it would work with Canadian Netflix, but it sucks anyway, and we can't get Hulu (unless you use a vpn). But at least the Nook has expandable memory so I could store my own media. The Amazon Cloud is useless here.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:59 AM   #23
Tess89
Enthusiast
Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I have the original nook color, a kindle 3 and an Ipad 2. I ordered a KF a month ago but cancelled a few days later. Don't know what the heck I was thinking. If I can wait for a new phone for two years, I can wait for a tablet with better specs. A faster processor ain't going to cut it. I think I'll hold out and see what the competion does when the ipad 3 comes out.

Last edited by Tess89; 11-12-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Tess89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:58 AM   #24
ChupaLibro
Julio Angel Ortiz
ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Funny, I was wondering the same thing.

I wonder if it has to do with the idea that the Nook tablet, aside from internal hardware bumps, really isn't that much different from the Nook Color. When the NC came out, there was a lot of buzz because of the upgrade from the original Nook to the NC. The Nook Color -> Nook Tablet bump just doesn't seem that significant, considering that the Nook Color is receiving a similar software upgrade.

The Kindle III -> Kindle Fire is comparable with the original Nook -> Nook Color upgrade we had a year ago, so that's generating the buzz.

I love my Nook Color, and don't see the need to upgrade to the Nook Tablet yet.
ChupaLibro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:51 AM   #25
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChupaLibro View Post
I wonder if it has to do with the idea that the Nook tablet, aside from internal hardware bumps, really isn't that much different from the Nook Color. When the NC came out, there was a lot of buzz because of the upgrade from the original Nook to the NC. The Nook Color -> Nook Tablet bump just doesn't seem that significant, considering that the Nook Color is receiving a similar software upgrade.

The Kindle III -> Kindle Fire is comparable with the original Nook -> Nook Color upgrade we had a year ago, so that's generating the buzz.
original Nook -> Nook Color and Kindle III -> Kindle Fire aren't upgrades - they're different products altogether. You're sorely underestimating the "under the hood" upgrades of the Nook Tablet over the Nook Color. The Nook Tablet not only has a faster processor, it also features a longer battery life and lighter weight. I already like the form factor of the Nook Color. I find it quite comfortable to hold although I'd appreciate an even lighter weight compared to the Nook Tablet.

Look at the iPhone 3G and the 3GS. Both of them received the iOS 4 update but while the 3GS is running fairly smoothly, the 3G was almost unusable. There are also some apps that don't work on the 3G.

Wasn't it mentioned somewhere that the Nook Tablet will be able to support Netflix/Hulu HD while the original Nook Color wouldn't? In both cases, I'm inclined to believe the faster hardware (or perhaps a different dedicated hardware decoder) is the reason given my experience with both Netflix and Hulu on the PC (darned CPU-heavy pre-Silverlight 5 and Flash 10.1).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:32 AM   #26
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I have a Sony 950 and so can't see a need for the Nook tablet for me. However, the Nook tablet does have a feature which may compel me to buy it -- the ability to record a reading of a book for grandchildren. I think that is a particularly nifty feature, and is the only feature that entices me to buy something in addition to my Sony 950.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:20 AM   #27
Cpl Punishment
Guru
Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad 103rd Gen
Quote:
The Nook Tablet is missing cameras and a GPS; but then, so did the iPad 1 WiFi. Did that mean the iPad wasn't a real tablet? And iPad 2 WiFi is still missing a GPS. Not a real tablet?
The real indisputable tablet....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tablet.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	3.9 KB
ID:	78934  
Cpl Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:22 AM   #28
ChupaLibro
Julio Angel Ortiz
ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
original Nook -> Nook Color and Kindle III -> Kindle Fire aren't upgrades - they're different products altogether. You're sorely underestimating the "under the hood" upgrades of the Nook Tablet over the Nook Color. The Nook Tablet not only has a faster processor, it also features a longer battery life and lighter weight. I already like the form factor of the Nook Color. I find it quite comfortable to hold although I'd appreciate an even lighter weight compared to the Nook Tablet.

Look at the iPhone 3G and the 3GS. Both of them received the iOS 4 update but while the 3GS is running fairly smoothly, the 3G was almost unusable. There are also some apps that don't work on the 3G.

Wasn't it mentioned somewhere that the Nook Tablet will be able to support Netflix/Hulu HD while the original Nook Color wouldn't? In both cases, I'm inclined to believe the faster hardware (or perhaps a different dedicated hardware decoder) is the reason given my experience with both Netflix and Hulu on the PC (darned CPU-heavy pre-Silverlight 5 and Flash 10.1).
You're misunderstanding how I used the word "upgrade". I understand that they're different products; they're an "upgrade" from a buyer's perspective, to go from the older, B&W product to a color tablet with more functionality.

I'm not sorely underestimating the under the hood changes- quite frankly, it's not enough to entice *me* to upgrade from my Nook Color. The Nook tablet will be able to play Neflix / Hulu in HD, while the Nook Color will "only" be able to play SD- but I don't care about the lack of HD. As always, YMMV.
ChupaLibro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:14 AM   #29
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
At some point I bet they will. And Apple will be forced to offer a smaller device. 9+" rules for home use, but for me 7" is the best compromise of size and portability.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:22 PM   #30
negris123
Zealot
negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: nook
Already have a Nook Color. I don't use it as a tablet that much, mostly as an ereader. If most people are like me, then there is no point in upgrading to the Nook Tablet. If I wanted to stream movies through Netflix, then I might be tempted to upgrade. Even then, if I don't care about HD movies, the Nook Color will get an update, so that it will have Netflix. The only difference that I see between the NC and Tablet is faster processor, more RAM and storage. In terms of content, the NC and Tablet will have the same. Maybe that is why people that own a Nook Color are not talking about it that much. If I didn't have a NC, I would probably pay the $50 premium and get the Tablet instead of a NC, but already owning a NC, I cannot justify buying the Tablet.

Last edited by negris123; 11-15-2011 at 05:26 PM.
negris123 is offline   Reply With Quote