Notices

Old 08-03-2011, 08:21 AM   #1
oecherprinte
Zealot
oecherprinte began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 3G, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Question Running python recipes standonlone on hosted webserver

Hi,

I would like to run recipes to generate mobi ebook from news websites standalone on our hosted webserver. Our webhoster supports python scripting. When I look at the recipes they appear to be purely python based. Is it possible to run a recipe as a python script on our hosted webserver without the calibre software in the background?
Once the mobi file is generated I could easily download it to my kindle using the 3g connection.

We only have access to php, python and ruby scripting.

Thanks,

Jens
oecherprinte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:45 AM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by oecherprinte View Post
When I look at the recipes they appear to be purely python based. Is it possible to run a recipe as a python script on our hosted webserver without the calibre software in the background?
Recipes rely on the other components of Calibre. You will need at least a minimal Calibre install to get them to run.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2011, 08:59 AM   #3
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
You can have the recipes run on the command line using ebook-convert. You will need an xserver installed even to use the command line tools. There are a few threads with instructions on how to do this with xvfb instead of a full xorg install.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:20 AM   #4
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

More info:
The recipes extensively use the Calibre recipe API. The "recipe" file itself is just the tip of the iceberg. It functions to give a pointer to the source for the ebook to be created and it tweaks some parameters, but it doesn't have any of the code that does the real work. As user_none noted, you don't need the GUI parts of calibre, but you will need to be able to install the code that supports the API.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:38 AM   #5
oecherprinte
Zealot
oecherprinte began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 3G, Kindle Paperwhite 2
thanks for your quick replies. So my cunning plan does not work. Too bad.

I know that I can use my computer at home as a calibre server but I would be more interested in using our webhoster. Then I would not have to leave my computer at home running when I am away.

Are you aware of any other non calibre php or python scripts that are capable of generating .mobi files from webpages? I guess I could tweak those scripts to collect the news pages I am interested in.

Cheers,

Jens
oecherprinte is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2011, 11:11 AM   #6
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by oecherprinte View Post
Are you aware of any other non calibre php or python scripts that are capable of generating .mobi files from webpages? I guess I could tweak those scripts to collect the news pages I am interested in.
Many months ago, I vaguely recall someone posting here that they had set up a public online service to grab recipe-based ebooks based on user submitted recipes. I recall thinking at the time that doing that probably had copyright issues. I don't know if it's still up and running, but some searching here might find the post with the links.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:30 PM   #7
Mixx
Zealot
Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
http://readbeam.com

Read the blog, it is changing right now to commercial model.

Regards, Mixx
Mixx is offline   Reply With Quote