Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 06:45 PM   #46
Kenneth_irl
Addict
Kenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kindle 3 + Paperwhite 7th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
???

I don't install flash browser plugins and I keep javascript off. I don't have to do anything at all to not get video ads, much less anything hard.
I'm not talking about flash ads, but video ads, like on youtube, ect. And yes they (video ads) are more complicated in dealing with for the ad-blocker developers and therefore the users (this is just in my experience, and I use both firefox and Chrome).

Adblock and adblock plus have no problem with flash ads (I have never seen one, in fact). You don't have to turn off javascript or flash if you use one of these extensions.

Last edited by Kenneth_irl; 05-24-2011 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:38 PM   #47
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
???

I don't install flash browser plugins and I keep javascript off. I don't have to do anything at all to not get video ads, much less anything hard.
Turning off JavaScript is HARD because you leave a lot of websites unusable. Flash, too, but to a lesser extent.
Advert
Old 06-08-2011, 11:24 AM   #48
Cappuccino
Cappuccino began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Is there any way to restore the screensaver to orginal ads on 3.2.1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvn0 View Post
I got KSO few days ago from a friend, i don't expect the Kindle3 special offer version, frankly, the ADs don't very much bother me.

however, when i reviewed the forums and found still there're quite some people are looking the way to disable the ADs, and I also did some tests and found it is actually very easy

YOU DON"T HAVE TO JAILBREAK

1. connect your KSO to computer
2. enter system folder on kindle (you may have to show all hidden folders and files)
3. there's a folder .assets (if you have already received ADs)
4. delete this folder or rename it (you may have to use command interface)
5. create a blank file name .assets (in windows command window, you can type copy con .assets, then press f6)
6. you don't even have to restart, but i will suggest you do so
7. ADs will not be downloaded anymore even if you connect to wifi

however, the screensave will always prompt you to download ADs. and banners too. i actually prefer it shows ADs

and i think if you have jailbreaked it (when it is FW3.2), you may now use screensaver hack to change to your own screensavers. however, my kindle is upgraded to 3.2.1 and as i understand it cannot be jailbreaked now. so i cannot do further test.

if you decided never go wifi again, you can choose not to create the .assets file, then the normal screen saver will be show. however, if you connect wifi the AD will also come.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:58 PM   #49
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
Sorry to ask a simple question, but I have modified the Kindle two different ways to show hidden folders and files with no luck. Is there some trick for Windows 7?

Thanks
Old 06-08-2011, 05:12 PM   #50
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I agree. You've voluntarily agreed to accept the advertising and (effectively) been paid $25 to do so. By disabling them, you're not fulfilling your side of the contract.
Agreed. It is what you signed up for.
Advert
Old 06-09-2011, 05:56 AM   #51
Saladin1
Saladin1 began at the beginning.

Device: KSO
I deleted the folder so ads disappeared, now I want them back again
Old 06-09-2011, 11:27 AM   #52
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Try doing a full reset on the Kindle, then re-register to your account. That might get the folder back.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:05 PM   #53
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

You could also just re-create the folder in Windows.

Has anyone found what happens if you change the ad gifs around in the .assets folder? Or whether or not these things can be removed and replaced?

Last edited by chas0039; 06-10-2011 at 07:14 AM.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:43 AM   #54
chas0039
Sceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by belden View Post
Amazon last week released their AdMash program for Kindle. Running the program basically shows you two different versions of an ad for the same product and lets you choose which of the two you like more or if you don't like either one. Not only does it give you some input into the ads which Amazon might deploy to the Kindle in the future, it gives you some clues as to what some of the future 'special offers' might be. I think to your first point, they are at least making an effort into showing users ads that they might like.

Here is the page at Amazon for the program: http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-AdMash/...6190700&sr=8-1
This only works with WiFi so don't waste your efforts if you are exclusively 3G.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:13 PM   #55
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
You guys make such a big deal about these ads, I wonder if you even buy books and/or magazines?! MOST magazines have ads, even subscriptions. Some books have ads for other books too.

The Kindle ISN'T expensive. You get so much in it for it just being marketed as an e-reader. A HUGE battery life, Internet, and a screen you can actually see while sitting outside. There's always going to be cheaper devices, but they don't come with a limited warranty OR well built hardware.

And I think you guys are missing the point when it comes to the hardware. It is not just the cheapest stuff stuck together, nor is it just generic/unbranded leftovers from a plant. It is a device that has been TESTED, FIXED, and PUT together to make sure you're getting the most out of that money you're spending to have it. If this weren't the case for most things, we'd ALL be using generic Chinese electronics.

If you didn't want ads, you should have spent the $25 extra or buy the device off eBay or somewhere else where they sell electronics open box. Because you, like the people who abuse Google Adsense, are only eating up advertiser money by NOT viewing these ads. These advertisers are paying Amazon for you to view their ads, and Amazon is using this money to make up for those $25 dollars you saved by buying a SO version of the Kindle.

YES, you are paying for the hardware, but at the same time it's not illegal for a company to revoke your rights to usage of their software if you're sitting there hacking at it. Just like Microsoft just only recently took away hackers their rights to use their Xbox Live service.

You do NOT buy hardware to make it better, you buy it to USE it as is. Why would you buy something you're NOT going to use as advertised? It's like buying a Wii to watch Netflix.

The ads don't spoil the experience. And if they are, return the device and cough the extra $25.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:17 PM   #56
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Why would you buy something you're NOT going to use as advertised?
Because I *CAN*.

Seriously. I do not endorse buying add supported Kindle and removing adds, but I am sure that even YOU use lots of things in different way as advertised.

Have you ever used knife to fix a loose screw? Have you ever used knife to pry open a jar? Have you ever used a book to prop something up? Have you ever used toilet paper to blow your nose, or, God forbid, to clean a brush instead of ... wiping your ... bottom? Have you ever used pencil, or, SHUDDER, a bent paperclip, to press reset button on your device?

I am proud hacker. It does not mean I intrude in other people systems, it means I take great joy in using things for other purpose that they were designed for. From software, through computer hardware, to plastic pipes I use to design music instruments (that are used by professional musicians).
Everything in my well stocked workshop has been used for different purposed that originally designed. From a humble chisel to my matalworking lathe.

If we all stuck to your advice, we would still be hunting with sticks and flint axes.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:28 PM   #57
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I hope you didn't buy a book just to prop something up.

I do that too, yeah, we all do. I'm just sick and tired of people complaining about ads in general and trying to find ways out of them. It's the people who DON'T want ads, but at the same time they won't pay for the app either which REALLY bothers me. I jailbreak my iPhone, yes, but doing it just to get Installous is just lame.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:37 PM   #58
jimh12345
Connoisseur
jimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it is

Device: kindle
Quote:
you, like the people who abuse Google Adsense, are only eating up advertiser money by NOT viewing these ads.
I am properly chastised.

I assume you don't use your 'mute' button during TV commercials. Do you even look away?
Old 06-11-2011, 03:01 PM   #59
Jessica Lares
Wizard

Sometimes, yeah. I'm actually watching ads right now as I'm typing. So, I'm multitasking.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:19 PM   #60
metr0man
metr0man is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Wi-Fi
Quote:
You guys make such a big deal about these ads, I wonder if you even buy books and/or magazines?! MOST magazines have ads, even subscriptions. Some books have ads for other books too.

The Kindle ISN'T expensive. You get so much in it for it just being marketed as an e-reader. A HUGE battery life, Internet, and a screen you can actually see while sitting outside. There's always going to be cheaper devices, but they don't come with a limited warranty OR well built hardware.

And I think you guys are missing the point when it comes to the hardware. It is not just the cheapest stuff stuck together, nor is it just generic/unbranded leftovers from a plant. It is a device that has been TESTED, FIXED, and PUT together to make sure you're getting the most out of that money you're spending to have it. If this weren't the case for most things, we'd ALL be using generic Chinese electronics.

If you didn't want ads, you should have spent the $25 extra or buy the device off eBay or somewhere else where they sell electronics open box. Because you, like the people who abuse Google Adsense, are only eating up advertiser money by NOT viewing these ads. These advertisers are paying Amazon for you to view their ads, and Amazon is using this money to make up for those $25 dollars you saved by buying a SO version of the Kindle.

YES, you are paying for the hardware, but at the same time it's not illegal for a company to revoke your rights to usage of their software if you're sitting there hacking at it. Just like Microsoft just only recently took away hackers their rights to use their Xbox Live service.

You do NOT buy hardware to make it better, you buy it to USE it as is. Why would you buy something you're NOT going to use as advertised? It's like buying a Wii to watch Netflix.

The ads don't spoil the experience. And if they are, return the device and cough the extra $25.
I bought the hardware. I can do whatever the F I want with it. If I want to drill a hole in it and have sex with it, hey, I can, because IT'S MINE, not Amazon's.

All Amazon can do imo is block me from their online Kindle store service (I agree they'd be within their rights to do that because of terms of service).

But it's my hardware.

I'm sick to death of this bullsh-t where companies act like they're renting you the hardware. I didn't sign any ironclad contract for ads. I didn't rent this Kindle. It's no different than avoiding watching commercials on TV. THERE'S NO CONDITIONS TO MESS WITH YOUR OWN HARDWARE.
Closed Thread