Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-28-2011, 07:28 PM   #1
John Carroll
kookoo
John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook, LG4
My 1 star reviews

I've gotten a few 1 star reviews lately. Thought I'd share them. I know I'm only supposed to promote the good stuff, but those reviews aren't as funny. A couple hurt, but not too badly. Anyone else want to share their pain?

"Don't Ever Change" - A horror/thriller short story:

On Apple:
"Stupid and pointless
by ZoeReader
This is the worst generic story I've ever read. It's ridiculous and sounds like a 14 year old wrote it for a creative writing assignment. I'd have given it an F because I'd expect more even from a 14 year old."

On B&N:
"Doesn't stick to it's oen prrmise...
by Anonymous

If the premise is the boy never changes how does he become a murderer? Originnal idea, extremely poor execution."

"Test Pilot" - Sci-fi short story:

On Apple:
"Dave
by ME ???
I liked the overall idea and plot of this short story. Unfortunately it suffered from poor writing skills. I could not stop thinking as I read it, that it was written by a teenager as a school assignment. "

"Blue Haired Alien Girlfriend" - Sci-fi short story

On B&N:
"do not recommend:
the author used "week knees" instead of "weak knees" and "waste belt" instead of "waist belt" (*author's note - The nice thing about eBooks is that these are now fixed. *)

"don't like
i don't like this book at all. even though i put 1star i. think it dosen earn 1/2a star. i mean ya the titel sounds cool or wierd but i really dont like this book. dont juge a book by its cover READ THE REVIEWS!!!!!!! so u mit like it but to me it reslly suks."

"The Emo Bunny That Should, A story for Demented Children" - Humor short story:

On B&N:

"Anonymous
it sucks : i hope that bunny is emo so it can stab itself to death "

Hmmm (2 star review)
I would like to say a lot of good things about this book, but what mostly snds out is STRANGE. Well written, not denying the author has talent, but wow.
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:37 PM   #2
Tony_A20
Enthusiast
Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 3
Tsk,tsk,tsk! Certainly seems like you need to do some reading, studying, and planning before you write your next story. Then spend a lot of time editing it.

Tony
Tony_A20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2011, 01:24 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There's absolutely no excuse for such things as "week knees". Why did you publish a book with such errors in it?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:48 AM   #4
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
This is why you need a proofreader, a good proofreader, preferably one who has never seen that story or book before. You can't catch your own mistakes -- you always see what you meant to write, not what you actually did write (with me, it's cut-and-paste errors and duplicated words). A spelling checker can't do it -- that gives you "week knees". There's no substitute for a human being who checks every word.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:32 AM   #5
Frida Fantastic
SF/F book blogger
Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Agreed. Proofreaders and editors are a must. You need to have a good working relationship with several people who feel comfortable giving you honest feedback about anything from plot to spelling--and you need to feel comfortable taking that feedback and implementing the changes and ensure quality control.

Some reviewers don't know what they're doing (I saw someone give a 1 or 2 star review for Jacob's Room by Virginia Woolf), but if you have several 1 star reviewers that voice similar complaints, then you need to fix the product. Be more careful about deciding which pieces are ready to go "live".
Frida Fantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2011, 02:46 PM   #6
mmessina
Author-saurus-rex
mmessina has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: kindle
I'm still nervously waiting for my first one star review, heh. Not to say I have dodged the bullet yet but honestly haven't sold enough copies to garner that many reviews. Some of those are outright brutal, but hey, dems da breaks
mmessina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:03 PM   #7
DArenson
ebookworm
DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo, Kindle
One star reviews hurt, but they're part of the biz. Best thing to do -- eat some ice cream and write an even better book.
DArenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:54 PM   #8
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Carroll View Post

On B&N:

"Anonymous
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:15 PM   #9
John Carroll
kookoo
John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Carroll

On B&N:

"Anonymous

Yeah. That's my favorite too. "Emo Bunny" has performed better than any. Even with that rating, it's been rated 41 times on B&N for a average of 4 stars. On Apple it's been rated 22 times for 4 1/2 stars. It's really weird though, so people either hate or love it.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:11 AM   #10
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For some reason, that brings to mind the quote "I want emo grass, so it cuts itself."

I may be thinking of this because it's currently pouring rain, and when this rain stops and it gets warm and sunny I'm going to want emo grass, and possibly some defense from lurking tigers.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:20 PM   #11
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
You know you are missing a great chance to become famous, right? Just answer a couple of those reviews and you'll be all over the Internet.

Last edited by Andanzas; 03-30-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:14 PM   #12
John Carroll
kookoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andanzas View Post
You know you are missing a great change to become famous, right? Just answer a couple of those reviews and you'll be all over the Internet.
Good point! I should totally rant and rave, insisting that they take them back and cuss at them when they don't. I know that's what that one author did.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:21 PM   #13
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon

Don't forget to swear. The F-bombs are important.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:58 PM   #14
Nada y Nadie
Enthusiast
Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Carroll View Post
On B&N:
"do not recommend:
the author used "week knees" instead of "weak knees" and "waste belt" instead of "waist belt" (*author's note - The nice thing about eBooks is that these are now fixed. *)
Don't think I've ever read a book that didn't have some typos. Those are pretty funny, though.
Nada y Nadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:44 AM   #15
John Carroll
kookoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nada y Nadie View Post
Don't think I've ever read a book that didn't have some typos. Those are pretty funny, though.
*grin* yeah. Pretty stupid too. I have been compiling a list of words and doing searches on those words to make sure they're used in the correct manner. It's longer than I'd like.

Tags
don't ever change, emo bunny, rojuun, test pilot