Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-06-2010, 03:19 PM   #1
Tinks
Zealot
Tinks doesn't litterTinks doesn't litter

Device: Voyage
Wifi & Password

I didn't realize I would have to put the password in each time I turn on wifi on my K3. When I turn wifi on, it's the same wifi network each time(at my house). Am I doing something wrong, or is this the norm? Thanks for any info.
Tinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
the way I understand it, that is the norm, just as with your computer, once it is password protected, that's the deal. I think a lot of folks have ended up taking it back off
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2010, 04:14 PM   #3
karthwyne
Connoisseur
karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Wifi, Kindle US
I just turned wireless off and back on and was not prompted for password. It automatically rejoined my remembered network (and ignored the other networks in view).
karthwyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:32 PM   #4
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Do you mean the network password or that you have password protected the Kindle itself?

I turn my wifi on and off all the time and have never had to re-enter the password for it. There must be an option to "remember settings".

If you have password protected the Kindle itself, it should be as easy as removing it.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:13 PM   #5
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I do need to enter a checkmark and then select CONNECT for the "open" wifi at work each time I try using the browser or amazon store. It is not password, per se, protected, but it does require agreeing to their conditions.

BUT at home, on my private wifi, I'm connected as soon as I walk in the door - I do not have to enter a password or otherwise initialize anything (after the initial setup when I got the k3).
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2010, 05:20 PM   #6
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
It is supposed to remember the password for networks it has previously been connected to. If it doesn't, call Kindle Support.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:29 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
It is supposed to remember the password for networks it has previously been connected to. If it doesn't, call Kindle Support.
+1

I never have to re-enter the password from my home network or my Palm Pre Hot Spot.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:39 PM   #8
Tinks
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
This is good to know. It's prompting me to enter the password each time I turn the wifi on to download books.

When I turn on my wifi I go to menu, settings, & then scroll down and select view under "Wifi Settings". Then it lists 3 different wifi networks. I select our home wifi network, and it prompts me to put in the password. I'm I going about this correctly to turn wifi on? Thanks for everyone's input.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:43 PM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinks View Post
When I turn on my wifi I go to menu, settings, & then scroll down and select view under "Wifi Settings". Then it lists 3 different wifi networks. I select our home wifi network, and it prompts me to put in the password. I'm I going about this correctly to turn wifi on? Thanks for everyone's input.
You seem to keep starting from scratch. Just press the menu button and the top selection in the menu is to turn Wireless on or off. You can do this from the home page, within the book, the settings page... I'm pretty sure it works from any page on the Kindle.

Edit: See the image below.

Last edited by daffy4u; 12-06-2010 at 06:51 PM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:01 PM   #10
Tinks
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
You seem to keep starting from scratch. Just press the menu button and the top selection in the menu is to turn Wireless on or off. You can do this from the home page, within the book, the settings page... I'm pretty sure it works from any page on the Kindle.

Edit: See the image below.

Yep, I was going about it from scratch. I did as you stated, and it shows the bars at the top of my screen when wifi is supposed to be turned on. But, it's not downloading any of my books I bought. When I go to menu, settings & select wifi settings it lists my wifi network. Beside my network it says connect, so I don't think it's actually connected to my wifi even though my kindle has the bars up at the top of the screen. I'm so confused, LOL.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:06 PM   #11
Tinks
Zealot

I think I figured out why it's not truly on. When I turned off my wifi last night I went to menu, settings, & wifi settings. I think beside my wifi network it says forget, and I selected that to turn it off. I'm think when I select forget, it wipes out the password. I'm going to test it, and see if this is the case.

EDIT: ok I just connected to my wifi the old way, and it's downloading my books. I also noticed that in addition to the bars at the top of the screen it also says wifi in a little box next to it.

Last edited by Tinks; 12-06-2010 at 07:09 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:20 PM   #12
Tinks
Zealot

Yep, that's what I did. Sigh, I feel so much better now. Thanks for all the help.