Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-29-2010, 07:34 AM   #1
newfiekat
newfiekat began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Post Kobo with Wifi!

Chapters just announced a new Kobo with Wifi available October 18! And I just bought the regular one...boo hoo lol
newfiekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:54 AM   #2
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfiekat View Post
Chapters just announced a new Kobo with Wifi available October 18! And I just bought the regular one...boo hoo lol
I think you can take it back within 14 days. But there are a lot of questions about this new wi-fi Kobo that need answering before anybody seriously considers buying one. There's no keyboard and the website doesn't mention a touchscreen so I can't figure out how web browsing will work. Unless I missed something, if so, please let me know
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2010, 10:44 AM   #3
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
I think you can take it back within 14 days. But there are a lot of questions about this new wi-fi Kobo that need answering before anybody seriously considers buying one. There's no keyboard and the website doesn't mention a touchscreen so I can't figure out how web browsing will work. Unless I missed something, if so, please let me know
Are we sure it will have a web browser? It is possible that the browser just allows you to connect to the Kobo/Border's Bookstore to buy books, probably registered to an existing account.

I do think it might have been a mistake to keep the form factor as it was... having so few control buttons really limits what they can do with the reader. It works for a basic reader, but not when you start adding expanded features.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:06 AM   #4
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
Are we sure it will have a web browser? It is possible that the browser just allows you to connect to the Kobo/Border's Bookstore to buy books, probably registered to an existing account.

I do think it might have been a mistake to keep the form factor as it was... having so few control buttons really limits what they can do with the reader. It works for a basic reader, but not when you start adding expanded features.

--
Bill
I wish they were more clear on what exactly can be done on this new reader of theirs. It's bad advertising and I know I wouldn't buy one until I got more information on it.

I think you might be right about the wi-fi being used strictly for downloading books.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:54 AM   #5
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
I think you might be right about the wi-fi being used strictly for downloading books.
Possibly also to sync bookmarks from various devices (iPhone app, computer desktop, whatever). Sometimes I have a few minutes to kill, without my Kobo, and it would definitely be an advantage if my iPhone knew what page I was on, and told my Kobo when it was done what page to open.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2010, 12:56 PM   #6
Pookeysgirl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post
Possibly also to sync bookmarks from various devices (iPhone app, computer desktop, whatever). Sometimes I have a few minutes to kill, without my Kobo, and it would definitely be an advantage if my iPhone knew what page I was on, and told my Kobo when it was done what page to open.
If that is all the wi-fi is for, then I think they should have dropped the price to either match or beat the K3.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:59 PM   #7
Pookeysgirl
Wizard

I like that they've added lavender and changed the white's d-pad to grey. It does make an improvement in appearance.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:35 PM   #8
newfiekat
newfiekat began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Thats a good point! No Keyboard would make it super awkward....I think ill be happy with my purchase until we get more details lol.
newfiekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:56 AM   #9
Pookeysgirl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfiekat View Post
Thats a good point! No Keyboard would make it super awkward....I think ill be happy with my purchase until we get more details lol.

SameerH posted this last night in the Kobo forum:

1. Dictionary works when you're in the reading view. Menu > Dictionary > You get a cursor, you move the cursor to the word you want > Press centre dpad > definition comes up.

2. Any typing is done through a virtual onscreen keyboard that needs to be navigated using the Dpad. It's actually relatively easy despite how it sounds, and you only have to use it a few times.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:11 AM   #10
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
It all comes down to what you value. I'm sticking with Kobo because i love the library access and I can't get that with Kindle. Will I upgrade to the wireless version...I might if I had the money, but my original reader is working great and meets all of my needs.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:18 PM   #11
rePete
Connoisseur
rePete can really shake a tail feather.rePete can really shake a tail feather.rePete can really shake a tail feather.rePete can really shake a tail feather.rePete can really shake a tail feather.rePete can really shake a tail feather.rePete can really shake a tail feather.rePete can really shake a tail feather.rePete can really shake a tail feather.rePete can really shake a tail feather.rePete can really shake a tail feather.

Device: Pandigital Novel
My Pandigital is wifi - it's a perk to be at Starbucks or B&N and dl their books right then and there. Once you touch a part of the screen that requires input a touchscreen pops up to let you type.

Fun, fun, fun...
rePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:29 PM   #12
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Wow, this is old thread. Sept. 2010--much better and up-to-date discussions in the Kobo forum.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
koko