Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-17-2007, 04:28 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Borders online bookstore beta

The Borders online bookstore beta is available now.

Good news for e-book fans, you might think, as Borders stocks the Sony Reader in its stores. Well, maybe not. There's no sign of the Sony Reader, and when you search for "ebooks", you get the following sad message... "Did you mean books?"

Oh well.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 05:03 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Ah, so the rumors of a split with Amazon are evidently true.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 05:29 PM   #3
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
I'm not normally one who likes gimmicks in Web design, but I think I like their bookshelf browsing gadget. Browsing is one of the things I miss most about buying books (p- or e-) online.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 06:14 PM   #4
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Agreed, Jason... much more comfortable than tilting my head 90 degrees and browsing sardine-packed bookshelves.

Is anyone going to mention to them the fact that e-books are absent (including from their book category lists)?
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 08:22 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
They don't even have the Sony Reader as an item in their online shop.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 10:19 AM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Browse feature is nice, though I find the term "Contributor" (as opposed to "Author") interesting, I suppose they didn't want to have to fiddle the language when they move to non-book material. Contributor is still an odd choice to my mind.

I'd also like to have an alphabet selector for the A-Z listing options instead of a numbered page thing, it's a bit cumbersome, and I don't want to have to do work that the computer can do for me so easily.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:25 AM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist

I've dropped that and the e-books think in their suggestion box. Perhaps we should organize a suggestion campaign for them for e-books?
Old 09-18-2007, 10:34 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I've dropped that and the e-books think in their suggestion box. Perhaps we should organize a suggestion campaign for them for e-books?
Problem is that since they aonly sell the Sony Reader, they cannot have ebooks other then BBeB and to have DRM protected books, they'd have to get permission from Sony. Unless of course they didn't mind DRM free ebooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 10:57 AM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist

I don't see that handling Sony Hardware necessarily limits them to only BBeB books. I rather doubt that Sony has gotten them to sign any sort of agreement to that effect, if only because they don't currently sell any e-books.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:00 AM   #10
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
NatCh, that's what I was thinking. Especially since they don't list the Reader for sale. The online store might be rather separate from their bricks-and-mortar store -- I know the B&N online store is very separate from their b&m outfit. The contracts (whatever they are) could be different for each.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote