Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-25-2017, 05:34 AM   #1
Sebenza
Sebenza began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 7th gen, Kobo mini
Limit to calibre portable library?

Hi all, first post here.

I just installed calibre portable on a USB thumbdrive, the same one that has a backup of my main calibre library. When I selected that library, it only showed 500 titles while my main library contains a bit less than a 1000 titles. So I copied it into the default library and when that is selected it still onlys hows 500 titles exactly.

Is there a limit to what the portable application can handle or show?
Sebenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:09 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
No limits, I have portables with tens of thousands of books.

When you say: 'So I copied it into the default library...' What exactly did you copy and with what did you copy it.

The contents of a library are defined by what is in the library database (metadata.db file) not by what sub-folders exist within the library folder. So if you copy author and book folders from one library to another with a file manager the library database will not be updated hence the number of books displayed will not change.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:49 AM   #3
Sebenza

I basically followed this page...
Quote:
To include your current calibre library in calibre portable just copy the entire contents of your current calibre library folder on your computer to the "Calibre Library" folder in the "Calibre Portable" folder on the USB stick.
So via windows explorer I selected the content of my regular library, including a metadata and .json file, and copied that into the library folder thats created with the portable install.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:59 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Side note: The limit is WHAT WILL FIT on that thumb (drive)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 03:11 PM   #5
Sebenza

The drive is 16Gb, the whole of my library is less than 4Gb, so that's not it either.
I'll just fiddle around with it some more
Old 04-25-2017, 03:20 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebenza View Post
The drive is 16Gb, the whole of my library is less than 4Gb, so that's not it either.
I'll just fiddle around with it some more
if the file metadata.opf appears in EACH title folder, then try a Library Maintenance:Repair
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:12 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebenza View Post
I basically followed this page...

So via windows explorer I selected the content of my regular library, including a metadata and .json file, and copied that into the library folder thats created with the portable install.
I would have renamed 'my regular library' to something like Sebenza's Library and copied that into the Calibre Portable folder so that it was a sibling of the Calibre Library.

Then I would have used Library->Switch/create to tell 'calibre' of the existence of Sebenza's Library.

Calibre doesn't need a library named Calibre Library so I would have removed it via Library->Remove library.

Then I would have deleted the Calibre Library folder.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote