Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 08-03-2013, 09:36 AM   #1
automa
Zealot
automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
How do you convert Word file to ePub file?

I have a long text book saved in Word. How do I import it into ePub?
automa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:51 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Moderator Notice
Moving to EPUB as this is not a Sigil specific question.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:53 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I use Libre Office (or Open Office) with the Writer2EPUB plugin (There is a MR Forum for this in Software)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:22 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Atlantis Word Processor will make an ePub from a Word file using save special. You do not import into ePub, you create and ePub but converting the contents of the document.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:12 AM   #5
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I use my add-in that also has that feature.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:28 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
I use my add-in that also has that feature.
True enough but it only works with Word 2007 and newer. But the good news it is a lot cheaper! if you already own a newer version of word.

Dale
Old 08-05-2013, 01:26 AM   #7
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The OP started with a Word document, so it is likely that Word is present. I know more programs support that format, but not native. And let's be real. Version 2007 is seven years old already...
Old 08-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The OP started with a Word document, so it is likely that Word is present. I know more programs support that format, but not native. And let's be real. Version 2007 is seven years old already...
Well, 6 anyway, but whose counting. A lot of folks have not upgraded their older word so I think it is important to make sure they realize that your program does not work on these older versions. It isn't always clear. I have two machines and one runs 2002 and the second 2003 so I cannot try your program. DOC format actually has native support on other than Word these days. Had the user specified docx I would agree that a newer word was present. Anyway the OP now has more information which is good but it needs to be clear.

Dale
Old 08-06-2013, 02:38 AM   #9
Toxaris
Wizard

I very specifically say with my addin that it is only for 2007 and up, so that should not be causing confusion. Native support is of course the default fotmat to read/write from. Programs tend to have their own formats.
I am actually very surprised at the number of word installations of 2003 and lower. Noboby I know in real life has that version anymore...
Old 08-06-2013, 04:44 AM   #10
faltradl
Guru
faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch
I use it too:
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I use Libre Office (or Open Office) with the Writer2EPUB plugin
or

The docx converting plugin of calibre.
faltradl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:33 AM   #11
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Quote:
I am actually very surprised at the number of word installations of 2003 and lower. Nobody I know in real life has that version anymore...
We use the this older version because it came with a computer and we only use it for reading documents, not writing them. Our document creation needs are very small so we use LibreOffice when we need to create a document.

I personally have always found the way Word does things just isn't how I want to do them, so I have never been motivated to update.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:14 PM   #12
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
I am actually very surprised at the number of word installations of 2003 and lower. Noboby I know in real life has that version anymore...
There are a ton of people who hate the "ribbon" (me included).

I just use LibreOffice nowadays if I have to do anything fancy with documents (most of my work is done right in Notepad++ or a simple text editor), but I know a lot of older folks who just can't figure out the ribbon at all.... thus staying with the old version of Microsoft Office.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:03 AM   #13
Toxaris
Wizard

Their loss, not mine. The ribbon actually works much better once you get the hang of it. After a few weeks, I came to the conclusion it is a much better, organized way of working.
Enough though, this has nothing to do with the original question.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:52 PM   #14
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Their loss, not mine. The ribbon actually works much better once you get the hang of it. After a few weeks, I came to the conclusion it is a much better, organized way of working.
Enough though, this has nothing to do with the original question.
Hmmm, ditto. I actually still have 2003 on my computer (I don't remember why...but I do), but I use 2010 exclusively. The ribbon is very intuitive. I find that as I age, (cough), I have become less flexible about trying new things, and this is a failing. I forced myself to upgrade to 2010 about 2 years ago and have never looked back.

It's not dissimilar to when I forced myself to switch to Word--or at least learn to use it properly--from Wordperfect, which I'd sworn I'd never do, like an idiot. Like many people, I ranted about how I couldn't see the codes, how Word sucked, yadda, and flatly, I was wrong about it. Yes, I'd still love to be able to see all the tags, but I can see enough, and using Styles has freed me from a lot of crap. I struggled with it for ages...and then actually took a few hours, and went through 2-3 tutorials on the MS Website. Once I understood a few fundamental things--mostly to do with Styles--the rest was amazingly easy. Outline View, Styles, and the Document Map. After that, everything else is just frosting. Like anything else, it's about taking the time to learn it.

I've noted in my own business that we've become a society of people who expect everything to be instantly intuitive; that we don't have to learn anything to use (whatever). That's such codswallop, and I'm damned if I know where that mentality came from, but every time I've adopted that stance, I've been the poorer for it. We track who opens our instructions (at my company, for things like installing ADE, KPreviewer, etc.) and fewer than half our new customers EVER try to download or read the instructions for programs about which they know absolutely nothing. They ALL try to launch both ePUBs and MOBI files by double-clicking them, like Word, even though, in the email we send them, telling them to download the files, we expressly state, in GIGANTIC BOLD LETTERS, to install the viewing programs first. This whole "everything has to be intuitive at a glance" mindset just...gobsmacks me. I don't know if humans have always been like this, or if we've become lazier, or if Steve Jobs will have a lot to answer for in the afterlife, should such exist, but...damn.

The ribbon works beautifully. If someone doesn't want to spend money, sure, I get it, but if they're not upgrading just because the ribbon didn't instantly make sense...just take a quick tutorial. 2010 and up have a lot of very cool features, and Tox's macros are worth it, too. FWIW.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote