Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-22-2012, 01:05 AM   #1
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Is E-Ink Really Better for My Eyes than My iPad?

Interesting article:
http://lifehacker.com/5934993/is-e+i...s-than-my-ipad

I can't agree with NY times because I can't read on my Nexus Tablet more than 20 minutes.

"The New York Times explains:

Today's screens are definitely less tiring to look at than older displays, which refreshed the image much less frequently, causing a flicker. Carl Taussig, director of Hewlett-Packard‘s Information Surfaces Lab, said the 120 Hz refresh rate typical of modern screens is much quicker than our eyes can even see.

"The new LCDs don't affect your eyes," Mr. Taussig said. "Today's screens update every eight milliseconds, whereas the human eye is moving at a speed between 10 and 30 milliseconds."
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:58 AM   #2
JohnGalt
Enthusiast
JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M92
Wonder how advertisements for iPads the NY Times has run v nook or kindle ads.... I have an iPad, and am taking classes that use pdfs instead of paperbooks, and I just bought an ereader because it was so unpleasant reading them on the iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
Interesting article:
http://lifehacker.com/5934993/is-e+i...s-than-my-ipad

I can't agree with NY times because I can't read on my Nexus Tablet more than 20 minutes.

"The New York Times explains:

Today's screens are definitely less tiring to look at than older displays, which refreshed the image much less frequently, causing a flicker. Carl Taussig, director of Hewlett-Packard‘s Information Surfaces Lab, said the 120 Hz refresh rate typical of modern screens is much quicker than our eyes can even see.

"The new LCDs don't affect your eyes," Mr. Taussig said. "Today's screens update every eight milliseconds, whereas the human eye is moving at a speed between 10 and 30 milliseconds."

Last edited by JohnGalt; 08-22-2012 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Ommited words
JohnGalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2012, 03:07 AM   #3
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
I would like this answer from someone who owns iPad (retina) AND a E-ink device.

Does it feel comfortable on low brightness on retina iPad? Is it a dealbreaker enough for a reader who reads on long stretches?
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:36 AM   #4
Art3mis
Art3mis reads XML... blindfoldedArt3mis reads XML... blindfoldedArt3mis reads XML... blindfoldedArt3mis reads XML... blindfoldedArt3mis reads XML... blindfoldedArt3mis reads XML... blindfoldedArt3mis reads XML... blindfoldedArt3mis reads XML... blindfoldedArt3mis reads XML... blindfoldedArt3mis reads XML... blindfoldedArt3mis reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexutix View Post
I would like this answer from someone who owns iPad (retina) AND a E-ink device.

Does it feel comfortable on low brightness on retina iPad? Is it a dealbreaker enough for a reader who reads on long stretches?
I don't have an iPad 3, so I don't quite qualify, but I don't notice any difference in comfort switching between e-ink and LCD for extended periods of reading. Then again, I'm in IT, so it could be that my eyes are too used to blue light.
Art3mis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:18 AM   #5
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Unfortunately, this is something you must find out for yourself. Each person is different. The fact that peanuts are fine for me will not save the guy with a severe peanut allergy.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2012, 04:52 AM   #6
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
its an advert to raise ipad awareness.
clearly some focus group said Its hurts your eyes doesnt it? lcd.

and thus the professor was hired and the nyt gets some apple love.

we chose a dx over an ipad. the ipad was the better deal but the device is for reading and simply put bunkum on that man. screen fatigue will ever be a problem. fact. stop hiring people to tell me otherwise. another peanut anyone?

Last edited by twobob; 08-22-2012 at 08:46 AM. Reason: bunkum
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:57 AM   #7
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, iPadAir2, PRS600, iPhone 6, iPod, Palm TX
I have an iPad 2 and read on it all the time except in strong sunlight. I find that my eInk reader is getting less and less use. I don't have a problem reading on a backlit screen BUT I do read in night time mode (white letters black background) as I find this works best for me with no eye strain.
Valkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:18 AM   #8
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
It's really down to personal preference as well as reading habits, I'd say.

I prefer to read on my eInk Kindle 3, although I've read the odd book also on my first generation iPad and bits and pieces on my Samsung Galaxy S2 phone.

I've found that I can deal with the LCD screens reasonably well in daytime, indoors and in good light (that falls on the screen from such an angle that it doesn't cause too much glare and doesn't reflect everything back to me) - in other words, the experience is fairly close to reading from a computer screen (I have a matte 22'' Eizo monitor).

I really find it tiring to read from an LCD screen, whether matte or glossy, after a day's work on the computer, though, and in the evening in artificial light.

If I'm not too tired from work, it's manageable on the iPad if I've found a good place to sit and read (as regards the angle of the external light sources), but not as nice as the Kindle; if I'm really tired and have had a long day, I can't read from an LCD screen for pleasure at all (tired, headache, eyes get dry more easily, screen reflections become more annoying) while I can still easily spend a couple of hours reading from the Kindle without any noticeable problems.

All in all, I am glad to have the iPad as a backup or for books that are a hassle to read on the Kindle (e.g. I ended up reading one of the Bartimaeus Trilogy books on the iPad due to its extensive use of footnotes, which were easier to manage on the iPad than on the Kindle Keyboard - however, then I just gave up and got the whole series as paperbacks instead, which were in the end more convenient for this particular series), but for leisure reading, I do prefer eInk. I also can't read from an LCD screen in low light, so the backlighting is not a bonus - I need to have the room well lit / have a good external light source / good ambient light to be able to read from the LCD screen at all.

(I've experimented quite a bit with the different background options in various reader apps as well as with brightness levels; I've found that for me, sepia or sepia-like background and the brightness set at around 50% works the best on the iPad. Any lower brightness and it becomes too muddled for my eyes.)
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:27 AM   #9
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:

I'd never buy an iPad, there are much better alternatives -- Nexus, Galaxy Tab etc...

I love my Kindle Fire and read on it daily. I also read on my Sony 505 daily outdoors. Love 'em both.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:56 AM   #10
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
iPad for PDF and comics, my PRS-650/T1's for serious reading.

My eyes are most happy.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:06 AM   #11
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
I have both an iPad3 and e-ink and I definitely prefer e-ink. The number of pixels does nothing to reduce eye strain unless you're using a tiny font and you're not reading tiny fonts if you have a problem with eye strain. Retina looks pretty and helps with web browsing and magazines but for me personally does nothing to improve reading books.

When I bought the iPad I made a deal with myself that I'd give it a fair chance and I'd use it exclusively for one month. When the month was up I went back to e-ink. Personal preference though your experience may vary.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:32 AM   #12
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
I should have added - my comment was on a k3Wifi in a plastic bag from the bath.
Still utterly legible despite the steam

now where do I get an Ipad sized freezer bag... hmm

Went and checked out a retina display (just so I wasn't talking from zero experience) hmm.. yeah, lovely hi flashy res (interpolation perhaps?) - emphasis on *flashy* there.

simply put, it's a no contest. I am incredulous that anyone would even POSIT the IDEA that it is comparable. When it comes to reading e-ink is the hands-down winner.

However, if "someone" wants to pay me several thousand dollars to say otherwise?.
I will happily publicly change that opinion. (It's the done thing seemingly)

: )
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:33 AM   #13
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
According to mobileread poll results (380 members participated)

76.58% prefer E ink
only 3.68% perfer Color LCD
and 19.74% replied that "Both are equally easy on my eyes "
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:45 AM   #14
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I read all day on an LCD, in my day job as a programmer. I watch TV on an LCD and play videogames on an LCD. I certainly hope it's not too bad.

I recently read a novel on my iPad, and found it less annoying than I expected, but I still prefer to use my eReaders.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:03 AM   #15
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Of course it is, regardless of refresh rate, today's LCD screens being "less tiring", and turning down the brightness when reading on tablets, there is still some artificial light there that will possibly have some effect if you stare at it for a prolonged period.

In normal daylight (i.e. reading indoors without any lights) viewing lots of text for hours on end on e-ink instead of LCD is just more natural for your eyes, therefore more comfortable.

If you only read for say 20 minutes at a time, lying in your bed at night, or if you read with the light shining on your ereader in the dark etc, the difference is probably pretty negligible.

Last edited by soulfuldog; 08-22-2012 at 10:14 AM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote