Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-03-2012, 04:16 PM   #13096
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Currently Reading:

- The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (second time) (67%)

- A Monstrous Regiment of Women (Mary Russell #2) by Laurie R. King (0%)

- Skeleton Crew by Stephen King (35%) [on hold]

- Moby-Dick, or The Whale by Herman Melville (24%) [on hold]

Hooray! I've been looking forward to starting the second book in the Mary Russell series. I love the characters and the setting and King's writing style.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:31 PM   #13097
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

So I just finished reading The Chant of Jimmy Blacksmith by Australian author Thomas Keneally. I did not know this before picking this book to read, but this author is more famous for having written Schindler's Ark; the book adapted into the film Schindler's List (I think they should have stuck with the original title).

So anyway The Chant of Jimmy Blacksmith, set in Australia around 1900, is a fictional novel recounting the story of a half-Caucasian and half-aborigine young man who attempts to fit into the white world following his being raised by a white missionary.

I thought this book was excellent. I had previously viewed the film based on the book and very much enjoyed that. The film was such a faithful adaption of the book, down to reproducing much of the dialog, that it provided a real comparison of strength and weaknesses of the two different media. The book allowed much more insight into the thoughts and motivations of various characters. However, the film excels at bringing the Australian scenery to life as in the Youtube link below where the wild outdoors is juxtaposed with the elegant and artificial interiors of white residences.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWbLJcVAE9w
Old 05-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #13098
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just finished Moonshot by Dan Parry and it was a very interesting account of the Apollo 11 Moon landing. Read it based on a review here and glad I did.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #13099
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Now see, I thought Mantegna was excellent as Spenser. And I very much like his readings of the Audible versions of Parker's books.
There can only be one 'real' Spenser, 'real' Hawk, and 'real' Susan Silverman... Robert Urich, Avery Brooks, and Barbara Stock. Anyone else is just a poseur...

Same with Tom Selleck playing Jesse Stone. Some things just require continuity.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:32 PM   #13100
lostmymarbles
Hunger Games Survivor
lostmymarbles has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lostmymarbles has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lostmymarbles has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lostmymarbles has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lostmymarbles has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lostmymarbles has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lostmymarbles has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lostmymarbles has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lostmymarbles has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lostmymarbles has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lostmymarbles has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'

Device: Kindle
I just read Haruhi Murakami's Norwegian Wood.
Absolute fantastic read.
And I bought IQ84, which is a bulky book fyi.
But I read the first few chapters already, and the story is revolving around a female assassin who has lesbian tendencies.
Sounds weird? But Haruhi Murakami makes it feel absolutely fantastic.
lostmymarbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:45 PM   #13101
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Just finished...

Monster Hunter International by Larry Correia

Now reading...

Dragon Ship eArc by Sharron Lee & Steve Miller

Up next...

Monster Hunter Vendetta by Larry Correia
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:16 AM   #13102
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
I finished The Way of Shadow, now I'm reading Shadow's Edge. It gets better.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:02 AM   #13103
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Just finished...

Monster Hunter International by Larry Correia

Now reading...

Dragon Ship eArc by Sharron Lee & Steve Miller

Up next...

Monster Hunter Vendetta by Larry Correia
if you're enjoying Larry Correia i'd recommend both Hard Magic and Dead Six. Hard Magic takes place in an alternate 1930s with airships and super powered folks. i'd say its definitely a spiritual cousin to the Monster Hunter books with some truly over the top action scenes and similar characters.

Dead Six leans more toward military fiction but its a truly exciting book about two factions playing cat and mouse in a fictional middle eastern country. no monsters or superpowers but the general tone and action wouldn't be out of place in a mission impossible film.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:54 AM   #13104
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostmymarbles View Post
I just read Haruhi Murakami's Norwegian Wood.
Absolute fantastic read.
And I bought IQ84, which is a bulky book fyi.
But I read the first few chapters already, and the story is revolving around a female assassin who has lesbian tendencies.
Sounds weird? But Haruhi Murakami makes it feel absolutely fantastic.

I love Haruki Murakami. Enjoy!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:13 AM   #13105
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
if you're enjoying Larry Correia i'd recommend both Hard Magic and Dead Six. Hard Magic takes place in an alternate 1930s with airships and super powered folks. i'd say its definitely a spiritual cousin to the Monster Hunter books with some truly over the top action scenes and similar characters.

Dead Six leans more toward military fiction but its a truly exciting book about two factions playing cat and mouse in a fictional middle eastern country. no monsters or superpowers but the general tone and action wouldn't be out of place in a mission impossible film.
Thanks for the recommendations, I'll put them on my list.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:20 AM   #13106
Beerman
Beerman is no ebook tyro.Beerman is no ebook tyro.Beerman is no ebook tyro.Beerman is no ebook tyro.Beerman is no ebook tyro.Beerman is no ebook tyro.Beerman is no ebook tyro.Beerman is no ebook tyro.Beerman is no ebook tyro.

Device: Ipad 2
Just finished reading Incarceron which was ok. I may read the next one, Sapphique but I just got Insurgent from Veronica Roth so I'm going to read that one first. I really enjoyed Divergent.
Beerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #13107
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
Just finished reading Incarceron which was ok. I may read the next one, Sapphique but I just got Insurgent from Veronica Roth so I'm going to read that one first. I really enjoyed Divergent.
I've got Divergent on my TBR list. I'm glad to see that you enjoyed it!

I'm reading the newest Rick Riordan novel, The Serpent's Shadow. His books are great fun. I've happily recommended them to all of my nieces and nephews.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #13108
richvalle
Connoisseur
richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Field of Dishonor (HH 4) by David Weber. its interesting but man is it slow going.
I loved this series but I gave up on it as it seems Mr. Weber has no intention of ever ending it and it's just getting dragged out.
richvalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:12 PM   #13109
richvalle
Connoisseur
richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I finished up K.J. Parker's Colours in the Steel. I enjoyed the book. All the spin and "wagging the dog" that goes on in today's conflicts/wars/politics in a fantasy setting where lawsuits are settled by a fencing bout between lawyers (advocates). There's also a war nobody really wants to fight, but gets fought regardless. Sarcastic, darkly funny and tragic all at the same time. I have the next two books in the series ready to go, but I'm not inspired enough to continue at the moment... maybe later. Not because the writing and the story wasn't good enough, but because of the format, mostly. This is the first book of Parker's I've read that wasn't a stand-alone, and as such, it left a slightly unpleasant taste in my mouth.

It was a tad longer than it needed to be, and I frankly can't appreciate exposition and setup taking place at the end of a book (even with the next two sitting on the "shelf"; ready to go). It just feels weird. The last chunk of Colours in the Steel devolved into the messy exposition of characters and plot-lines that were being elevated from minor roles to more prominent ones—presumably in preparation for the next book in the Trilogy. Not nearly enough resolution for the time investment. Another potentially great story that stumbled because it just had to be part of a Series. Oh well.

I'm starting Rising Tides, book 5 in Taylor Anderson's alternate universe/military scifi "Destroyermen" series.
I'm interested in knowing how you liked Rising Tides. This is another series I'm thinking about dropping despite liking the first books of the series. The last one I read (book 4 I think) it seemed like nothing much happened and it was going to get all political with that British empire-like group.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:17 PM   #13110
richvalle
Connoisseur

Quote:

i love everything of his that i've read. he definitely has a preference for alpha male characters but he writes them well.
Me too though I like the Hunters books better then the SpellBound ones. I'm having a hard time getting though the 2nd one.