Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 03-12-2012, 04:37 PM   #1
Matimio
Matimio began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad2
ABBYY FineReader: PDF to Professional Quality Ebook

Hello All,

I am attempting to turn my passion for Ebooks into some extra cash on the side, and have gotten some projects which require me to convert a PDF document into a High Quality Ebook.

I am having an issue drawing high quality scans of Images from the PDF. Does anyone have any reccomendations to create high quality images from within the PDF? I'm not talking about a general scan, but images within the document itself. They are not high enough quality, and appear different and more blurry then the rest of the text in the Ebook when I preview it.

Any tips on this specific question or in general on the process will be greatly appreciated. or any links to a guide on how to convert a PDF using ABBYFinereader into a very high quality Ebook.

Thanks in advance
Matimio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Are you sure the PDF file has better quality versions of those images? Because if not, no software will magically enhance their quality. You have to get a better source for them (in case of photographs, drawings) or redo them (math figures, the like).
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:45 PM   #3
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
Or maybe turn them into vector graphics. They scale really well and (if done right) can take up a lot less space.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:30 AM   #4
ignacio ferrer
Banned
ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matimio View Post
Hello All,

I am attempting to turn my passion for Ebooks into some extra cash on the side, and have gotten some projects which require me to convert a PDF document into a High Quality Ebook.

I am having an issue drawing high quality scans of Images from the PDF. Does anyone have any reccomendations to create high quality images from within the PDF? I'm not talking about a general scan, but images within the document itself. They are not high enough quality, and appear different and more blurry then the rest of the text in the Ebook when I preview it.

Any tips on this specific question or in general on the process will be greatly appreciated. or any links to a guide on how to convert a PDF using ABBYFinereader into a very high quality Ebook.

Thanks in advance
You have probably heard about copyright?
Apart from that: what you have in mind is very time consuming, so there is no money to be made.
ignacio ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:36 AM   #5
Matimio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignacio ferrer View Post
You have probably heard about copyright?
Apart from that: what you have in mind is very time consuming, so there is no money to be made.
I am working with NGO organizations with documents for which they own the Copyright. It is a time consuming process, although being no money I'm not sure that is true. Maybe not enough money for the amount of time, that I am finding out especially because I am trying to learn the process
Old 04-01-2012, 08:37 AM   #6
Matimio

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpider View Post
Or maybe turn them into vector graphics. They scale really well and (if done right) can take up a lot less space.
Is there a way to create a vector from Finereader?
Old 04-01-2012, 08:37 AM   #7
Matimio

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
Are you sure the PDF file has better quality versions of those images? Because if not, no software will magically enhance their quality. You have to get a better source for them (in case of photographs, drawings) or redo them (math figures, the like).
No I am not sure, do you know how I can find this out?
Old 04-01-2012, 09:45 AM   #8
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
Quote:
Is there a way to create a vector from Finereader?
Pff. You can't even create a proper layout from FineReader. Maybe some day. Right now you need an external program for that, something like Inkscape, Vector Magic, Adobe Illustrator. Search for "inkscape tracing" on Youtube. I'm sure you'll find some tutorials. It's better and much cleaner to do it manually than to use auto tracing (Vector Magic, the "Live Trace" from Illustrator), but auto tracing can be a good start too, to wet your feet a little... Just be prepared to clean it up with Inkscape (or Illustrator) - process which sometimes takes more time than actually doing it yourself.

Quote:
No I am not sure, do you know how I can find this out?
If you say they own the copyright, then they are the people to ask if they have a better source for the images.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abbyy finereader, ebook, images, pdf, publication