Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-27-2011, 03:33 PM   #196
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by deannah View Post
I've scanned this thread and didn't see this mentioned, so apologize if I'm repeating. Just something I've noticed on my KF that when charging the battery the light turns green before it is actually fully charged. I've checked and it has only been charged to 90% or thereabouts. Just something to keep in mind. I just keep charging it for another 30 minutes or so to get a full charge.
I always charge mine at bedtime so when I get up it's at 100%
If I don't use the Fire it doesn't use any battery if I leave WiFi off
So I only charge mine every other day and have gone 3 days without charging before. This one of the best batteries I have ever seen on a device.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:34 PM   #197
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ectoplasm View Post
I've had prime for years. I tried to get off it last year and only lasted a month or so before joining again.

Watch out for the automatic renewal. There is a "manage prime membership" button under your account. In there you can choose whether you want automatic renewal. I believe it's always ON by default.
There is no auto renewal with the trial. It says that when you visit your MYPM page.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:06 PM   #198
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by deannah View Post
I've scanned this thread and didn't see this mentioned, so apologize if I'm repeating. Just something I've noticed on my KF that when charging the battery the light turns green before it is actually fully charged. I've checked and it has only been charged to 90% or thereabouts. Just something to keep in mind. I just keep charging it for another 30 minutes or so to get a full charge.
I've noticed that my Android phone can quickly charge up to 90% but then takes a long time to complete the final 10%. I wonder if the Fire is similar? I generally charge my fire and phone overnight like @Blossom.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:12 PM   #199
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
There is no auto renewal with the trial. It says that when you visit your MYPM page.
Mine shows that it expires on Dec 1 and below that is a button labeled Do Not Upgrade. But I signed up for the trial Prime two weeks before I got my Fire, so that might be why it is a bit different. I think mine will automatically switch to a Prime account if I don't press the Do Not Upgrade button, at least I seem to remember something like that in the email I got after signing up for the trial.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:17 PM   #200
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Mine shows that it expires on Dec 1 and below that is a button labeled Do Not Upgrade. But I signed up for the trial Prime two weeks before I got my Fire, so that might be why it is a bit different. I think mine will automatically switch to a Prime account if I don't press the Do Not Upgrade button, at least I seem to remember something like that in the email I got after signing up for the trial.
Correct it's only those who got the trial through their Fire not signing up through the website.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:31 PM   #201
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I just checked mine. There isn't anything to click to continue with Prime. It just says the date my free trial will expire.

I'm guessing that as the date gets closer they will send out emails offering you to extend your membership.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:37 AM   #202
kdoc
Enthusiast
kdoc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Battery Usage

Do you usually leave the Fire on Sleep? Or on total close down? Sleep + WIFI off uses little battery, I think. When do you use total off and when sleep?

kdoc
kdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:43 AM   #203
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdoc View Post
Do you usually leave the Fire on Sleep? Or on total close down? Sleep + WIFI off uses little battery, I think. When do you use total off and when sleep?

kdoc
I just put it to sleep with WiFi off no need to power off except every few days like a PC it does need to restarted now and then.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:13 AM   #204
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdoc View Post

kdoc
I just use Sleep with WiFi off. Occasionally I will shut down and power back up. Sometimes I will shut down and power back up if I've installed a few apps also.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:05 PM   #205
Merischino
Groupie
Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Pixel 2, Kindle Fire HD 8
This is a little thing but for me it has turned out to be somethign I use often.

When you are typing on your KF, the autocorrect usually does a hazardous word change on almost everything I type. At first, I was having to delete and re-type seemingly every other word. Then, I discovered this.

If you just type your whole message as if autocorrect isn't doing anything, then go back and just touch on each word that is now wrong (e.g., the ubiquitous "nonlinear" substitution when I typed in "online"), KF will select the word and present a list of all the suggestions/alternatives to that, wherein your intended word choice can be found.

It's ever so much faster to click-click to correct your letters than to type, delete, retype. Just thought if you hadn't caught this correction feature you might want to know about it. If you are already in the habit of proofreading your work this is a nominal addition to your proofreading process.
Merischino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:18 PM   #206
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merischino View Post
This is a little thing but for me it has turned out to be somethign I use often.

When you are typing on your KF, the autocorrect usually does a hazardous word change on almost everything I type. At first, I was having to delete and re-type seemingly every other word. Then, I discovered this.

If you just type your whole message as if autocorrect isn't doing anything, then go back and just touch on each word that is now wrong (e.g., the ubiquitous "nonlinear" substitution when I typed in "online"), KF will select the word and present a list of all the suggestions/alternatives to that, wherein your intended word choice can be found.

It's ever so much faster to click-click to correct your letters than to type, delete, retype. Just thought if you hadn't caught this correction feature you might want to know about it. If you are already in the habit of proofreading your work this is a nominal addition to your proofreading process.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:33 PM   #207
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merischino View Post

It does present a line of possible words as you are typing and you can select one if it is appropriate. It does beat the heck out of the iOS autocorrect that seems very dysfunctional and often cannot correctly guess your word until there is only one character left to type.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:51 PM   #208
rahulfonseca
rahulfonseca began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Folks, Just got a new Kindle and have a question... I have a host of magazines in pdf format and have the following two questions:

1. How can I get them to show them in the 'Books' section ?
2. The pdf's are currently shown in the 'Docs' section but it does not display the cover page for the icons ?

Any help would be really appreciated
R
rahulfonseca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:35 PM   #209
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulfonseca View Post
Folks, Just got a new Kindle and have a question... I have a host of magazines in pdf format and have the following two questions:

1. How can I get them to show them in the 'Books' section ?
2. The pdf's are currently shown in the 'Docs' section but it does not display the cover page for the icons ?

Any help would be really appreciated
R
Sideloaded PDFs will only show up in the Docs section, as far as I know. None of my sideloaded PDFs show a cover, just a white icon with the file name. I don't know if any of them actually have covers though.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:55 PM   #210
solidunit
solidunit began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I've searched and I couldn't find this info;

If I want to use the content server feature to download news periodicals on to my Kindle Fire, whats the procedure to get them to show up in the Newsstand app ? Opening the mobi file in the Kindle app through File Expert doesn't seem to do anything.
solidunit is offline   Reply With Quote