Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-13-2011, 12:38 AM   #16
jeromedevine
Zealot
jeromedevine doesn't litterjeromedevine doesn't litterjeromedevine doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3 3G Graphite, Sony PRS-505
AWESOME!!!!!!!! This Script is GREAT!!!!!! Thank-you so much seaniko7!!!!!!!! ;D

Everybody give good Karma to seaniko7!! I already did!!

@seaniko7 Can I ask you what software you use to edit and save the 'pageturn' files?

I tried to open these and edit them with Wordpad (I could see the code and edit it) but I'm not sure if it looses any of the code formatting and thus does not allow it to run properly. Great job man! cheers.
jeromedevine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:02 AM   #17
seaniko7
wannabe developer
seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle: 2xKeyboard, Classic, 2xTouch, 2xPW, PW2; Onyx: Boox M92
@jeromedevine, I'm using TextEdit. It's default text editor in OS X.
IMO you can edit it even in Notepad.
seaniko7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:34 AM   #18
jeromedevine
Zealot
jeromedevine doesn't litterjeromedevine doesn't litterjeromedevine doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3 3G Graphite, Sony PRS-505
I can confirm that on Windows (mine Windows 7), you can use Notepad to edit the file. I don't know why, but when I used Wordpad it didn't work. Possibly something to do with formatting loss when saving.

I made the following modifications:
Next Page = set on 'Enter' Button,
Previous Page = set on 'Delete' Button
these work great and I left the Centre Button to do what the Kindle Firmware wants it to do.

I also realised that you can map the 'Alt' Button, but to turn a page you have to press 'Alt' and then 'Shift' afterwards everytime.
jeromedevine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:24 PM   #19
bruck
bruck began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Can someone explain this to me - can this hack be used to reverse the 2 page buttons on the left side so that they work the way I've always thought they should: that the left side's big button goes "back" and its small button goes "forward". (the reverse of the right side).
bruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:00 PM   #20
wellington
wellington began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Please notice, that this script doesnt change original behaviour of keys in any way.
My question is, can the original behavior of the keys be suppressed while the script is running? I have been looking for a way to make the T and R keys act as next page and previous page. Is something like this possible? With this script, pressing T opens the search box (as you said it would), and does not change the page.

Last edited by wellington; 09-19-2011 at 03:13 AM.
wellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:59 PM   #21
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Ok. I'm very excited about this hack but I want to ask a couple of questions first.

1. Do I have to jailbreak first?
2. Have people used the hack with success?
3. How exactly do I switch the function of the large edge button and the small edge button on the left side of the K3. In other words, without affecting any other keys, how do I make the large edge button on the left do page back and the small page forward?

Thanks.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:18 AM   #22
wellington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
1. Do I have to jailbreak first?
2. Have people used the hack with success?
3. How exactly do I switch the function of the large edge button and the small edge button on the left side of the K3. In other words, without affecting any other keys, how do I make the large edge button on the left do page back and the small page forward?
1. Yes, you need to install the jailbreak, then launchpad, then pageturn.
2. Yes.
3. You can't use it to do that. In the post above yours I said how to do it but I was wrong. The script doesn't change the default behavior of the keys. So you can map next page and previous page to those buttons but it will do the default action first, then the assigned one, which defeats the purpose.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:36 AM   #23
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellington View Post
3. You can't use it to do that. In the post above yours I said how to do it but I was wrong. The script doesn't change the default behavior of the keys. So you can map next page and previous page to those buttons but it will do the default action first, then the assigned one, which defeats the purpose.
I'm confused. If every key still does its default behavior first then...what's the point of the hack?
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:08 PM   #24
wellington

Quote:
I'm confused. If every key still does its default behavior first then...what's the point of the hack?
Some keys don't have a default action unless you're in a menu. The script makes use of the fiveway center button and the return button because if you're reading a book and you press them, nothing will happen.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:22 PM   #25
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Quote:
In your specific case, I would suggest modifying the pageturn script such that the left edge big button "presses" 2 next_page and the left edge small button "presses" 2 prev_pages, netting to a single press, since

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellington View Post
3. ... The script doesn't change the default behavior of the keys. So you can map next page and previous page to those buttons but it will do the default action first, then the assigned one...
the end of the script would then look as follows (sorry if my syntax is incorrect, scripts are not my forte)

Code:
#read which key was pressed
	case "$(cat /tmp/key)" in
	"193 1")
	next_page;;
	next_page;;
	"104 1") 
	prev_page;; 
	prev_page;;
	esac
	}
Admitedly,
1- the visual effect of flipping a page 3 times is not that appealing and
2- you would have to start the script only when reading a book and restore the buttons to their original function in other contexts, to preserve your sanity.

Short of having the ability to "swallow" the original key behaviour that is all I could thing about.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:22 PM   #26
holdenwatanabe
holdenwatanabe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 Non touch
Does this work with the Kindle 4 Non-touch?

I assume that it probably doesn't.

Does launchpad work for a K4 NT?
holdenwatanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:37 AM   #27
anonimo200
Enthusiast
anonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it is

Device: Kindle DXG
Good evening. I've tried it in my Kindle DXG and I'm unable to make it work. What am I doing wrong?
Thank you for your help
anonimo200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:19 AM   #28
anonimo200
Enthusiast
anonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it is

Device: Kindle DXG
Any idea why this doen't work on a Kindle DXG?
Thank you in advance
anonimo200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:13 PM   #29
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonimo200 View Post
Any idea why this doen't work on a Kindle DXG?
Thank you in advance
K3 and DXG use different keycodes. You need to change the keycode numbers in the script. You can find them from the kindle command line with the "waitforkey" command.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:10 PM   #30
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
or in the myts thread
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote