Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-07-2018, 06:59 PM   #61
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightreader View Post
I wonder why Kobo doesn't have implemented a two-column feature for landscape mode. The Forma display is almost twice the size of a 6 inch reader. Enough space for two columns. Otherwise the display of the Forma in portrait mode is nearly as big as a printed paperback.
The epub renderer does have a two column mode. It can kick in automatically in landscape mode with small fonts. I think something can be done in one of the Adobe additional files in epubs, but I've never really experimented.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 07:10 PM   #62
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
WiFi staying on and not sleeping were problems with this a long time ago. They aren't now. Developer mode is on permanently for my devices. Maybe the battery life is a little less, but not enough for me to notice.
It doesn't sound like you think there's any serious drawbacks with this, then. Is there a way to stop the logs being created whilst still being able to access the InvertScreen toggle?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2018, 07:15 PM   #63
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
It doesn't sound like you think there's any serious drawbacks with this, then. Is there a way to stop the logs being created whilst still being able to access the InvertScreen toggle?
If there isn't, I can write a patch for that.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 07:18 PM   #64
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
If there isn't, I can write a patch for that.
The man's on FIRE!!!
Old 11-07-2018, 07:50 PM   #65
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It doesn't sound like you think there's any serious drawbacks with this, then.
Not that I've seen. And it's one of those things that, as soon as I turn it off, something happens and I want to look at the logs.
Quote:
Is there a way to stop the logs being created whilst still being able to access the InvertScreen toggle?
Not that I know of. They are only written when you save a log or connect to the PC. There seems to be a 512KB buffer as that is the maximum file size.

I have to write a cleanup function for the Kobo Utilities plugin. It can already do orphaned cover images, but being able to clean the log files, empty directories, screenshots, orphaned files in the Digital Editions directories etc, would be useful. Maybe once I finish that thing I'm doing at the moment.
Advert
Old 11-07-2018, 08:13 PM   #66
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
They are only written when you save a log or connect to the PC. There seems to be a 512KB buffer as that is the maximum file size.
Ah, maybe this isn't as big a problem as I feared. I had visions of enormous files being created after every button press in a long reading session. It's easy to avoid deliberately pressing the Save log button. I've done a lot more than usual connect/disconnects tonight.

Regarding general cleanup, it's always good to have new features in Kobo Utilities.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:30 PM   #67
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Ah, maybe this isn't as big a problem as I feared. I had visions of enormous files being created after every button press in a long reading session.
I've had a lot more problems with the buffer being to small. With the sync related logging options on, I never see the start of the sync in the logs.
Quote:
It's easy to avoid deliberately pressing the Save log button. I've done a lot more than usual connect/disconnects tonight.
Am I the cause of some of them? And if so, for that other thing, I did it last night, but didn't have time to finish testing
Quote:
Regarding general cleanup, it's always good to have new features in Kobo Utilities.
Got to have something to keep me off the streets
Old 11-07-2018, 08:31 PM   #68
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
@geek1011 & other techies,

I was just looking at your post in the patch thread which referenced
Code:
[DeveloperSettings]
EnableDebugServices=true
Is this new? I hadn't heard of it before.

Once enabled I noticed there's an option to toggle InvertScreen on/off direct from the Kobo, under Settings > Device Info > Developer options, i.e. without needing to install the NightMode hack.

I haven't noticed this being discussed before, either. Is there some drawback to using this option, other than perhaps a build-up of unwanted log files in the /.kobo directory?
This also adds some degree options notably a z lock axis angle and a back/front trip angle. I can only assume these are related to the Forma specifically for the switch between the top of the page and bottom. It’s also got orientation options but nothing that seems to lock it from rotating entirely just the options we can already select. Portrait / inverted portrait (which locks it in portrait, and the same for landscape.

Jackie are you able to get miniclock to follow this insertion setting? When I use it the clock displays in black on white.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:16 PM   #69
pcnnnn
pcnnnn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Kobo H2O, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
The epub renderer does have a two column mode. It can kick in automatically in landscape mode with small fonts. I think something can be done in one of the Adobe additional files in epubs, but I've never really experimented.
I haven't tried with text epub yet but the manga epub that you can get from Kobo Store does automatically change into 2 pages view if you use the Forma in Landscape mode.

The Rakuten JP Kobo Store did mention that a 2-page view mode will be added in a later firmware, not sure if that's just for manga or for text file as well.
pcnnnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:00 PM   #70
ma678
Enthusiast
ma678 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
This firmware runs well on my Clara HD and Aura.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
ma678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:44 AM   #71
Martina Schein
eBook-Reader-Fan
Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O 2nd Edition
This firmware works very fine on my Kobo Aura H2O, 2nd Edition, Version 1.
I have copied all files and folders and the Reader does not cause any problems.

Of course I also installed the patcher.
Martina Schein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:40 PM   #72
boriar
Evangelist
boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bq Avant XL, Kobo Aura H2O, Onyx Boox M96C Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
I have a number of bilingual poetry collections conceived with one language on the left-hand side and the other on the right-hand side, which don't work well as an epub of kepub. I dream of replicating the paper layout with a two-column in landscape, but it seems practically impossible to replicate correctly.
The epub3 have support for that but I don't know if Kobo have implemented it in his render software. I have an android apk that do it and it's fantastic for language's study. Sadly the program was abandoned
boriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:59 PM   #73
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Has anyone with an affiliate of Kobo in particular gotten this firmware? I thought it was going out to all devices, but it hasn't shown up on my original Kobo Aura (two units) or Kobo Ahura HD.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:03 PM   #74
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
Has anyone with an affiliate of Kobo in particular gotten this firmware? I thought it was going out to all devices, but it hasn't shown up on my original Kobo Aura (two units) or Kobo Ahura HD.
No, this is going to the Forma only.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:03 PM   #75
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
No, this firmware is only for the Forma, although it works if sideloaded onto other devices.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	affdev20181109.png
Views:	228
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	167576  
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote