Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-26-2018, 03:22 PM   #1
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
I pre-ordered my Paperwhite 4, when I get it what research do you want me to do

I have a couple things i am going to try to check.

1. See if these ship with the same fresh-out-of-the-box downgrade options tha tthe PW3 had, before that started bricking them

2. I downloaded the source, and saw some new filed names 'android' in the linux source, that reference ADB and Fastboot, I will be trying to trigger some factory mode using android flash cables.

Please use this thread to put anything you think I can try to do, and I will try to get to it.

The official name from amazons source code repository is Paperwhite 10th generation, bu I'm going to go ahead and start the flame war, and declare that the models will be named "PW4", and the 8 gb and 32gb variants will be "PW4.8" and "PW4.32".

Because it is waterproof, I am not going to attempt serial jailbreaking on this device, I will leave that to someone else.

Research Status

G000 T607 - 32GB - US - Special Offers - Wifi - 5.10.0.1 - Research complete
G000 PP07 - 08GB - US - No Special Offers - Wifi - 5.10.0.1 - Research complete
G000 PP07 - 08GB - IT - Special Offers - Wifi - 5.10.0.1 - Research complete

I can tell that those three all share the same software version that shipped right now:
SOFTWARE_VERSION: 015-juno_10001_moonshine_rex-333743
VERSION: 5.10.0.1 (3337430015)

If you are a power user willing to do some in depth work, and you have a different model, please PM me.

Last edited by coplate; 11-08-2018 at 06:43 PM.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 06:56 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Might 2. mean it'll ship with the same android-esque diags mode than the KT3?

As for 1., platform/board handling should already be ready in KindleTool, give me a shout if you get something before an official update rears its head .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2018, 07:44 PM   #3
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
If Kindle was bricking your Kindles it was something personal. None of mine were ever bricked.
"To brick: The word "brick", when used in reference to consumer electronics, describes an electronic device such as a smartphone, game console, router, or tablet computer that, due to severe physical damage, a serious misconfiguration, corrupted firmware, or a hardware problem, can no longer function, hence, is as technologically useful as a brick."

None of my Paperwhites have been 'bricked" and the Voyage I gave to a student wasn't "bricked" and the Oasis 2 I returned quickly to Amazon wasn't bricked so if you're was, it was personal.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:13 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@patrickt: Thank you for your oh so insightful intervention.
Old 10-27-2018, 02:23 AM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
If Kindle was bricking your Kindles it was something personal. None of mine were ever bricked.
"To brick: The word "brick", when used in reference to consumer electronics, describes an electronic device such as a smartphone, game console, router, or tablet computer that, due to severe physical damage, a serious misconfiguration, corrupted firmware, or a hardware problem, can no longer function, hence, is as technologically useful as a brick."

None of my Paperwhites have been 'bricked" and the Voyage I gave to a student wasn't "bricked" and the Oasis 2 I returned quickly to Amazon wasn't bricked so if you're was, it was personal.
As this thread is under the subforum where we discuss jailbreaking, bricking (often due to corrupted firmware) is one of the expected risks.

I actually just traded in a bricked PW3 (Error Code: 2, factory fw 5.8.9.0.1 install failed) for a PW4. Amazon's trade-in offer of 25% discount even for non-working Kindles is a great deal.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2018, 03:17 AM   #6
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
Too few innovations to make it interesting for me.
I think I'll wait for some new technology, such as color or clearink displays
encol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 02:49 AM   #7
marrco
Enthusiast
marrco began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw4
PW4 w/ s.o. Wi-Fi 8 GB Italian: G000 PP07 xxxx xxxx
marrco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 03:19 AM   #8
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marrco View Post
PW4 w/ s.o. Wi-Fi 8 GB Italian: G000 PP07 xxxx xxxx
Can you please show the firmware version number. We expect 5.10.1.1 (3358210034).
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:37 AM   #9
marrco
Enthusiast
marrco began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw4
Firmware Version: 5.10.0.1 (3337430015)

so NOT the expected version, and there are no sources here

atm i keep mine 'unregistered' . Never connected to WIFi
marrco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:49 AM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!

There's a D/L page for 5.10.1.2, but it's still 403'ed for now (at least from here).

EDIT: Went poof .

EDIT: Up for good, with sources .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-08-2018 at 01:03 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:53 AM   #11
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Mine says it will be delivered by 8 PM, thats approximately 10 hours away.

If it comes earlier, I may or may not be able to get to it, depending on if I am still at work.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:56 AM   #12
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
Kindle Paperwhite (10th Generation) Software Updates - 5.10.1.2

My PW4 hasn't arrived yet. Due today:

PW4 (US) 8GB WiFi Without Special Offers
Serial: G000 PP
Firmware: 5.10.0.1

Last edited by JimmyR; 11-08-2018 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Add Firmware Version
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:06 AM   #13
coplate
Guru

@knc1, if you come around this thread, do you remember the research requests we were asking people to do on the new Oasis?

I don't have the instructions for that written up handy, if you still did, could you get them to me? Otherwise I will try to write them up again.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:08 AM   #14
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@coplate: There was a dedicated thread about that, was it not? (Unless we're not thinking of the same things: I was thinking of getting at the factory image).

EDIT: Can't find it either, though. -_-".

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-07-2018 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:18 AM   #15
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
...the research requests we were asking people to do on the new Oasis?
I remember these from PW3 PW3-4, PW3-32, fw-5.8.9.0.1 software jailbreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Is this a new device, never connected to the Internet?
Is it a "refurbished" device?
Is this the firmware it arrived with or has it been updated to this version?
Is it registered?
Does it have ads (Special Offers)?
Does it have a pass-code protection or parental controls enabled?
What country was it sold in?
What country was it delivered to?
Was the seller an on-line Amazon site or was it a third-party seller (on-line or brick&mortar).
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paperwhite4, pf4.32, pw4, pw4.8, research