Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-25-2018, 07:32 PM   #31
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The placement of “Outlander” seems weird to me. Leaving to one side the literary merits of the series, is Gabaldon really that popular an author? I’ve always regarded her as a rather obscure SF/fantasy author. It surprises me that the casual reader would have ever heard of her, let alone place her in second place in a contest of this nature. She’s the only one on that list who’s not a (to me, at least) “famous” author (or famous book).
"Famous"/popular enough that she's usually on the bestseller lists, but likely more known by causal folks due to the Showtime series based on her main series of books.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 07:49 PM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
They’ve made a TV series of it, have they? That would probably account for it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2018, 08:40 PM   #33
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
They’ve made a TV series of it, have they? That would probably account for it.
Having been turned into film or television presentations is something the first 25 have in common. It is also true of a significant proportion of the other 75 (I didn't bother to research these in detail). Even #26 (A Prayer for Owen Meany) had a movie made from part of it (Simon Birch).

So if we're going to try and look at it that way we might ask if To Kill a Mockingbird would be up there if it weren't for Gregory Peck. Hmm... Moby Dick is up there, do we blame Gregory for that too?
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 09:16 AM   #34
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
The Great American Read

I hope this is not duplicating a post. From PBS:
https://www.pbs.org/the-great-american-read/results/
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 09:44 AM   #35
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Thanks for the link to the results.

I'm guilty of not reading many of the newer "best-loved" books. My adult grandkid's top-10 list compared to mine proves that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert