Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook > PocketBook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-08-2020, 06:24 AM   #1
pso33
pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad X
InkPad X + koreader tweaks

Hello,

I've bought a month ago an InkPad X, and tried to use koreader (already used koreader on a kobo aura h2o 2nd ed 7" with great success and speed, so have an easy comparison).

I stick to koreader vs PB software for these 3 things:
- file browser much quicker (only filename)
- configurable contrast(boldness) feature really makes reading easier, when pdf is shrinked
- rich gestures, avoiding screen refresh

In a nutshell, I've resolved 2 problems:
(1) in page view + fit to content, after switching from another document, seen sometimes every page from a different document. This was always resolved by either emptying cache, or setting DGLOBAL_CACHE_SIZE_MINIMUM/MAX... to 0 in advanced setting (used it for a longer time)
I experienced this also with v2020.03.2 too.
(2) the dreaded suspend issue, experienced almost every file open (using koreader's file browser), partially fixed by applying [WIP] Pocketbook-suspend plugin #3540 (it was easy, no code conflict)

I've managed to rebuild a custom koreader for pocketbook, but replacing the 5.17 SDK by 5.19 (modifying koxtoolchain/gen-tc.sh + had to insert a #include <stdbool.h> row in inkview.h).
I'm using the docker image recommended by the wiki, on top of git master (few commits away from v2020.04.1).
It was also necessary to execute "./gen-tc.sh pocketbook" before "./kodev release pocketbook" as wiki simply says (for kobo, had no problem).
With these build tweaks, I've successfully resolved (1) - exactly after switching to the new SDK ! (I did try with 5.17, too - where the cache error still present)
Note than some headers not present in 5.19 (bookstate.h), can be freely removed.

My InkPad X's details:
- Software version: U1040.5.20.1476
- Release date: 20191011_163330

For addressing (2), I've just pulled #3540 (plugin appears under a name "PocketBookInsomnia"). To me it's clear what it does in highlevel, though never programmed any .lua before, and unaware of any pocketbook internals... I've tweaked it further to call avoiding suspend, taking example code from other plugins (using UIManager:scheduleIn)).
The outcome is, it still hangs (with bottom led off) when a pdf is heavy to load (seems not even scheduling an event helps), and lasts longer than 2 secods, but the fast pdf starts no more hanging, and these type of hangs (led is off) can easily get over by touching the screen.
Page turns also got more reactive.
Only drawback is, the power consumption seemingly got higher.
For some rare documents however, I really see forever hangs, however I open those pdfs with PB soft.

All in all, I've got to a state where my InkPad X is very well useable with koreader!
It would be nice to:
- provide separate PocketBuild build with the new SDK (5.19 at least)
- include #3540 even in it's unfinished state, so see the problem much rare (with heavier PDFs), perhaps tweaking further scheduling an awake every second
After 1 week heavy use of many type of PDFs, I highly confirm #3540 is much better to include, than not having it.

Note: I've tried fedorchenko's free apps, however they either don't start, or app works weird (screen shifted, etc...) pushing me in a doubt that todays PB device would work with an old SDK.

Peter
pso33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 07:02 AM   #2
pso33
pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pso33 View Post
(1) in page view + fit to content, after switching from another document, seen sometimes every page from a different document.
I mean, saw every 2nd-3rd page from a different document opened previously - all only in a single instance of koreader, even after restart. This problem temporarily disappeared by emptying the cache (removing koreader/cache/*).
Recompiling with the 5.19 SDK solved this.
Advert
Old 09-02-2020, 05:27 PM   #3
ezdiy
Zealot
ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: KT, KPW4, PB740-2
There's a lot of cleanups now going on for pocketbooks in koreader, so just running the snapshot should be enough to get everything useable.
ezdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 10:03 AM   #4
pso33

Thank you for the updates, will certainly give a try!
Old 09-08-2020, 06:44 AM   #5
pso33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezdiy View Post
There's a lot of cleanups now going on for pocketbooks in koreader, so just running the snapshot should be enough to get everything useable.
I have updated to the snapshot 2020-09-05 (ezdiy), and all the bugs gone now!

Some tweaks I found benefical (InkPad X):
- use lower dpi (e.g. I've set the lowest 140) - smaller menu (harder to touch, barely enough), but fewer pixels to update (by practice, considerably faster!)
- disable autosuspend (the white led at the bottom still switches off) - got the UI more responsive in general
Advert
Old 09-11-2020, 09:07 AM   #6
ezdiy
Zealot
ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.ezdiy can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: KT, KPW4, PB740-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pso33 View Post
- disable autosuspend (the white led at the bottom still switches off) - got the UI more responsive in general
The autosuspend is worth it only on the go, ie when you care about battery life. Otherwise indeed the unresponsive UI is rather annoying.
ezdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 04:19 AM   #7
pso33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezdiy View Post
The autosuspend is worth it only on the go, ie when you care about battery life. Otherwise indeed the unresponsive UI is rather annoying.
The autosuspend is just a feeling of getting slower, hard to prove.

True, the UI drawings are very slow (the bigger area to draw, the more) - koreader should work out a way to use the screen in "quick mode" (e.g. the way factory pdf reader does at pinch & zoom) when drawing the GUI.
It suspectedly requires pocketbook API support...
Old 11-29-2020, 02:57 PM   #8
pso33

update with koreader-pocketbook-v2020.11

I've updated to v2020.11 (from snapshot 2020-09-05 [ezdiy] after falling back from v2020.09 with met hangs and yet other slownesses). Also removed the whole applications/koreaders folder to get rid of any old file or config.

I have got rid of UI-slowness by now (browsing the menu) by 'Developer Options' -> 'Disable enhanced UI text shaping(text)'. For some reason, this device looks sensitive to it.

This is an additional finding besides decreasing DPI as much you can.
(And naturally, anyone who owns InkPad X have already disabled UI flashes in the normal 'E-ink settings' menu...)
Now the UI speed is acceptable in overall.

Some quirks I've spotted with v2020.11:
- background is white upon restart despite I've enabled 'Night mode' by menu; though I'm starting it as separate app, not as an file.
- couldn't download any dict via wifi, workaround was to transfer them from my kobo (where I also reinstalling from scratch, simultaneously). Only message appears to turn on wifi but nothing afterwards.

Tweaking "E-Ink settings\Refresh speed/fidelity" to "Level 3: low quality, fastest" on this device doesn't speedup anything. Instead, the page turn transitions get visible (trash pixels temporarily visible) but in overall same speed and quality with this extra visible flicker (some may find aesthetic).
The only benefit it has, it is visible what the device is working on.
Same true for Level 1 and 2 but not seeing any trash.

Summary: I recommend upgrading to v2020.11 for anyone having InkPad X now, as in general it looks stable (no hang) and speed is acceptable with proper tweaks.

Thanks for the developers reaching this milestone!

Last edited by pso33; 11-29-2020 at 02:58 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-29-2020, 03:10 PM   #9
pso33

update: Night mode is working now after restart, for some reason.

Tags
inkpad x, koreader, sdk pocketbook