Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-22-2021, 12:49 PM   #1861
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Night Shift by Stephen King is $1.99 at Amazon US.

I wonder if it is on sale because the first story (Jerusalem's Lot) has become a TV series (Chapelwaite)?

Anyway, a terrific book of stories. Some people will try to convince you it is his best collection. Those people are wrong.
Missed it if it was on sale in UK. Maybe next time.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 12:58 PM   #1862
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Something’s Alive on the Titanic by Robert J Serling is $0.99 at Amazon US.

This is Rod Serling's brother. Not that that says much. There's a big difference between Dennis Quaid and Randy Quaid.

But Rob Serling is remembered for this book and The President’s Plane Is Missing.

Quote:
If you forget the Titanic’s legacy, beware.

Something is alive on the Titanic — something powerful and malevolent that protects the once-great ocean liner from the rapacious intentions of those who would desecrate her grave. Whatever is down there was first encountered by a classified mission in 1975, and they could never speak of it.

A previous mission to recover millions of dollars in gold believed hidden in Cargo Hold Three had a mysterious, tragic end. Now, a new group of men and women — scientists, adventurers, and the United States Navy — wants to retrace the steps of that original voyage to investigate where the 1975 mission failed. The rumours of monsters and apparitions can’t be true, can they? As they penetrate deep into the hull, the first people to see the interior in eighty-one years, they find they are not alone…

Last edited by ZodWallop; 10-22-2021 at 01:04 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 11:31 PM   #1863
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A Head Full of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay is $1.99 at Amazon US.

Quote:
WINNER OF THE 2015 BRAM STOKER AWARD FOR SUPERIOR ACHIEVEMENT IN A NOVEL

A chilling thriller that brilliantly blends psychological suspense and supernatural horror, reminiscent of Stephen King's The Shining, Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House, and William Peter Blatty's The Exorcist.

The lives of the Barretts, a normal suburban New England family, are torn apart when fourteen-year-old Marjorie begins to display signs of acute schizophrenia.

To her parents’ despair, the doctors are unable to stop Marjorie’s descent into madness. As their stable home devolves into a house of horrors, they reluctantly turn to a local Catholic priest for help. Father Wanderly suggests an exorcism; he believes the vulnerable teenager is the victim of demonic possession. He also contacts a production company that is eager to document the Barretts’ plight. With John, Marjorie’s father, out of work for more than a year and the medical bills looming, the family agrees to be filmed, and soon find themselves the unwitting stars of The Possession, a hit reality television show. When events in the Barrett household explode in tragedy, the show and the shocking incidents it captures become the stuff of urban legend.

Fifteen years later, a bestselling writer interviews Marjorie’s younger sister, Merry. As she recalls those long ago events that took place when she was just eight years old, long-buried secrets and painful memories that clash with what was broadcast on television begin to surface—and a mind-bending tale of psychological horror is unleashed, raising vexing questions about memory and reality, science and religion, and the very nature of evil.
Old 10-25-2021, 10:57 AM   #1864
radbaddude
Addict
radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Sleep Paralysis by Patrick Lacey
Amazon US $0.99

Quote:
A terrifying collection of 18 horror stories from the acclaimed author of A Voice So Soft, Where Stars Won't Shine, and Dream Woods. Perfect for the Halloween season and best read with the lights on.

Sleep paralysis: A transitional state between wakefulness and sleep, accompanied by powerful hallucinations and muscle weakness, preventing one from moving.

A website that specializes in suffering. A basement filled with secrets and bones. An apartment housing more than just ghosts. These are the stories that stay with you long after you've read them. These are the things that visit your dreams. And nightmares...
radbaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 08:44 PM   #1865
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Anyone ever read R. Karl Largent? He's one of those writers that I used to always see in the used book stores. His books are available as ebooks, only $2.99 a piece. I was looking for where to start with him. Aside from horror, he has some cold war thrillers. I'm not so interested in those.
Old 10-26-2021, 08:22 AM   #1866
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Aura One, Glo HD
Quote:
Anyone ever read R. Karl Largent? He's one of those writers that I used to always see in the used book stores. His books are available as ebooks, only $2.99 a piece. I was looking for where to start with him. Aside from horror, he has some cold war thrillers. I'm not so interested in those.
I've heard of him; in fact, (like you) I used to see his books all over the place. Unfortunately, I've yet to read anything by him.

With the heads up, I may go ahead and buy something.

Thanks!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 10:13 AM   #1867
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I've heard of him; in fact, (like you) I used to see his books all over the place. Unfortunately, I've yet to read anything by him.

With the heads up, I may go ahead and buy something.

Thanks!
One of the books I sent you had an ad in the back for his book Black Death which is why his name bubbled up.

I should have a couple more books to send next weekend.
Old 10-26-2021, 10:54 AM   #1868
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
One of the books I sent you had an ad in the back for his book Black Death which is why his name bubbled up.

I should have a couple more books to send next weekend.

Thank you!
Old 10-26-2021, 11:35 AM   #1869
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

I've never gotten into Welcome to Night Vale, the extremely popular horror-esque podcast. But if that is your thing, they have novels as well.

The second one; It Devours! is on sale for $1.99 at Amazon US. though this is the second novel, I don't believe the novels form a series. Each tells a story unrelated to the other two.

The third novel, The Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives in Your Home was also on sale recently. Perhaps the first one will be on sale soon?

Quote:
From the authors of the New York Times bestselling novel Welcome to Night Vale and the creators of the #1 international podcast of the same name, comes a mystery exploring the intersections of faith and science, the growing relationship between two young people who want desperately to trust each other, and the terrifying, toothy power of the Smiling God.

Nilanjana Sikdar is an outsider to the town of Night Vale. Working for Carlos, the town’s top scientist, she relies on fact and logic as her guiding principles. But all of that is put into question when Carlos gives her a special assignment investigating a mysterious rumbling in the desert wasteland outside of town. This investigation leads her to the Joyous Congregation of the Smiling God, and to Darryl, one of its most committed members. Caught between her beliefs in the ultimate power of science and her growing attraction to Darryl, she begins to suspect the Congregation is planning a ritual that could threaten the lives of everyone in town. Nilanjana and Darryl must search for common ground between their very different world views as they are faced with the Congregation’s darkest and most terrible secret.
Old 10-26-2021, 02:16 PM   #1870
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

11/22/63 by Stephen King is $2.99. This is the enhanced edition, so it will fold your socks and pick your kids up from school.

Quote:
This enhanced ebook edition contains a 13-minute film, written and narrated by Stephen King and enhanced with historic footage from CBS News, that will take you back—as King’s novel does—to Kennedy era America.

On November 22, 1963, three shots rang out in Dallas, President Kennedy died, and the world changed. What if you could change it back? Stephen King’s heart-stoppingly dramatic new novel is about a man who travels back in time to prevent the JFK assassination—a thousand page tour de force.

Following his massively successful novel Under the Dome, King sweeps readers back in time to another moment—a real life moment—when everything went wrong: the JFK assassination. And he introduces readers to a character who has the power to change the course of history.

Jake Epping is a thirty-five-year-old high school English teacher in Lisbon Falls, Maine, who makes extra money teaching adults in the GED program. He receives an essay from one of the students—a gruesome, harrowing first person story about the night 50 years ago when Harry Dunning’s father came home and killed his mother, his sister, and his brother with a hammer. Harry escaped with a smashed leg, as evidenced by his crooked walk.

Not much later, Jake’s friend Al, who runs the local diner, divulges a secret: his storeroom is a portal to 1958. He enlists Jake on an insane—and insanely possible—mission to try to prevent the Kennedy assassination. So begins Jake’s new life as George Amberson and his new world of Elvis and JFK, of big American cars and sock hops, of a troubled loner named Lee Harvey Oswald and a beautiful high school librarian named Sadie Dunhill, who becomes the love of Jake’s life – a life that transgresses all the normal rules of time.

A tribute to a simpler era and a devastating exercise in escalating suspense, 11/22/63 is Stephen King at his epic best.
Old 10-27-2021, 09:44 AM   #1871
radbaddude
Addict
radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Last Days by Brian Evenson
Amazon US $1.99

Quote:
Brian Evenson’s Last Days is an intense, profoundly unsettling down-the-rabbit-hole detective noir. Kline is a former detective who’s cool head in the face of a brutal amputation makes him the perfect candidate to infiltrate a dark cult that believes amputation brings one closer to God. Kline is tasked with finding the cult leader’s killer. But to get to the truth, Kline must lose himself—literally—one body part at a time.
radbaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 11:17 PM   #1872
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Well, I wound up buying Black Death by R. Karl Largent. It wasn't on sale, but I was pennies away from my "spend $25, get $6" thingie on Amazon.
Old 10-28-2021, 08:57 AM   #1873
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Well, I wound up buying Black Death by R. Karl Largent. It wasn't on sale, but I was pennies away from my "spend $25, get $6" thingie on Amazon.

But $2.99 is still pretty cheap. That's the current price I'm seeing. Was it cheaper a few days ago?
Old 10-29-2021, 01:07 AM   #1874
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
But $2.99 is still pretty cheap. That's the current price I'm seeing. Was it cheaper a few days ago?
Oh, no. I'm not complaining about the price. $2.99 is cheap. But since this is a bargains thread, I just wanted to point out that the book I was mentioning was not on sale.
Old 10-29-2021, 08:40 AM   #1875
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Oh, no. I'm not complaining about the price. $2.99 is cheap. But since this is a bargains thread, I just wanted to point out that the book I was mentioning was not on sale.

Let us know if it's any good. But, if like me, your TBR probably (?) stretches into a magical kingdom (in Lands Far Away), then it may be some time.

By the way, you may wish to check out Spider, by Patrick McGrath, especially if you enjoy gothic horror. He's a literary horror writer who creates characters that are twisted by insane and (often) sexual obsessions that descend into madness. I'm almost finished with it, and I think it's great. It's dark, twisted, and gloomy. Unfortunately it's expensive as hell. I can't remember where I bought mine; I know I've had it for some time. Years ago, I read a thoroughly enjoyable collection of short stories by him.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 10-29-2021 at 08:45 AM.