Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-03-2021, 08:30 AM   #1
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
GPS on Eink device?

I've always thought that GPS on an Eink device would make a handy hiking map.

I actually retrofitted a B&N Glow3 with an internal GPS module, but the signal capture was so miserable it was hardly worth it.

I have a Poke3 now which has a Qualcomm Snapdragon 636 which has the GPS/GNSS receiver built in, but I don't think it has an antenna and the software doesn't seem to acknowledge that GPS exists.

I thought that the Xiaomi InkPalm 5 (smart phone format) was pretty cute, but I don't know if that has GPS either.

To be really useful the device should have a magnetometer for orientation.

Does anybody know of any GPS enabled devices?
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 09:02 AM   #2
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
I've always thought that GPS on an Eink device would make a handy hiking map.

I actually retrofitted a B&N Glow3 with an internal GPS module, but the signal capture was so miserable it was hardly worth it.

I have a Poke3 now which has a Qualcomm Snapdragon 636 which has the GPS/GNSS receiver built in, but I don't think it has an antenna and the software doesn't seem to acknowledge that GPS exists.

I thought that the Xiaomi InkPalm 5 (smart phone format) was pretty cute, but I don't know if that has GPS either.

To be really useful the device should have a magnetometer for orientation.

Does anybody know of any GPS enabled devices?
Hisense A5 and the various other eInk smartphones.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 12:23 PM   #3
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
It's a shame this one never saw the light of day:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=213065
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 01:33 PM   #4
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I feel like there are many devices that use a b&w LCD display would be better if they used e-ink. But those LCD displays are undoubtedly a lot cheaper than the e-ink display. Garmin's inReach Mini has a transflective memory-in-pixel display, which is always on. I didn't search for long about it and I don't know if it does grayscale or just b&w. Also, for the GPS market (e.g., Garmin's products), I'd guess that most buyers prefer a color display.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 02:47 PM   #5
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
I feel like there are many devices that use a b&w LCD display would be better if they used e-ink. But those LCD displays are undoubtedly a lot cheaper than the e-ink display. Garmin's inReach Mini has a transflective memory-in-pixel display, which is always on. I didn't search for long about it and I don't know if it does grayscale or just b&w. Also, for the GPS market (e.g., Garmin's products), I'd guess that most buyers prefer a color display.
So do most of their GPS watches. Some of them do mapping too. And most are color.
Old 09-03-2021, 03:28 PM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
There was a Russian smartphone with LCD on one side and eInk on the other.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 07:57 PM   #7
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
It's a shame this one never saw the light of day:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=213065
i invested in that and never got my money back. it was the last time i backed anything before it actually launched.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 08:30 PM   #8
salamanderjuice
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
There was a Russian smartphone with LCD on one side and eInk on the other.
Yotaphone. They went bankrupt. Don't think they are making devices anymore. Hisense makes eInk phones right now.
Old 09-03-2021, 11:49 PM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I still have a functional dedicated Garmin GPS with a reflective color LCD screen, readable in full sun. Must be 12 years old. It has the topo data on a mini SD card (mostly for hiking trails, but it also has some highways and roads for context).

I don’t really see why eink would be any better, it isn’t going to be able to pan and zoom very well. You can always find or make some shade to read a regular phone display, and that’s what the hiking map apps are designed for.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 09:38 AM   #10
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
I use both Osmand + (hiking, cycling) and Sygic (car) on my Boox Poke 3 (A2 Mode), with the GPS / Beidou / Glonass data coming from my Unihertz Jelly 2 via Bluetooth.
It works excellently and the map updates are carried out smoothly.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps