Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 08-24-2020, 11:27 PM   #1
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
Animation-Free Pdf Reader for iOS, Android, or Windows?

Hi,

Can anyone recommend an animation-free pdf reading app?

Especially an app that can render large images, can render jpeg2000 images, can reliably render transparency without gray rectangles, can hide layers, and can read epub and/or mobi in a pinch.

What I've seen so far:

Librerator works fairly well, but it's no longer maintained, and no longer recommended.

Preview, iBooks, and other Quartz-based readers have trouble with transparency in Ghostscript outputs. From what I've seen of the iOS version of iBooks, it has way too much animation and ignores accessibility settings to stop the animation.

What animation?:

I can get sick from scrolling and page-flipping animation. I always get sick from zooming animation.

I have an easier time if an app jumps from page to page, or time permitting, fades out and then fades back in.

I mostly use page down on my computer, and page flip buttons on my Kindle Dx.

But what device?:

I have not decided on a device, I think I'll need to work back from software options to hardware options.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 11:42 PM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
GoodReader for iOS doesn’t have animations if you use tap to turn pages. Just a simple fade in while rendering pages which is quite possibly pretty instant with a fast enough CPU. It does have slide animations if you flick with your finger.

I can’t recall the behavior when using keyboard/mouse (I leave the bluetooth ones at work).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 12:34 AM   #3
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you, that sounds good. Does it struggle with transparencies?
Old 08-25-2020, 12:44 AM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post
Thank you, that sounds good. Does it struggle with transparencies?
Sorry, I don't know how to tell.

For what it's worth, the most complicated PDF I've used is the hardware maintenance manual for my Lenovo ThinkPad and GoodReader handled that fine.
Old 08-25-2020, 11:23 AM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

P.S. If you have PDFs that you can send along with the problematic page numbers, I'd be more than happy to test with GoodReader on the iPad and post screenshots so you can see how the pages are rendered.
Old 08-25-2020, 07:14 PM   #6
MarjaE
Guru

Sure: https://bugs.ghostscript.com/show_bug.cgi?id=699776

The 1st file is an un-processed pdf. On my Kindle, it loses most images, and gets some extra gray rectangles, including 2 on the front page.

The 2nd is pre-processed through Ghostscript. On my Mac, it gets a few extra gray rectangles, including 1 on the front page. On my Kindle, I haven't tested it in a while and don't recall how it turned out.

Last edited by MarjaE; 08-25-2020 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:23 PM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Attached the screenshot of page 1 side by side view using GoodReader on the iPad 7th gen. Original on left, converted on the right.

Doesn't read EPUB or MOBI but there are plenty of other apps for that. I think MapleRead might be able to handle all those formats and pretty sure it allows disabling animations. Just not a fan of the app (still prefer Marvin for EPUB and GoodReader for PDF).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-08-25 at 6.12.20 PM.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	368.6 KB
ID:	181586  
Old 08-26-2020, 12:16 AM   #8
MarjaE
Guru

Thanks!
Old 08-26-2020, 05:48 PM   #9
taos
Connoisseur
taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo HD
Here a couple of screenshots from KOreader on a 10'' e-ink tablet (Onyx Boox Note Plus). The converted pdf looks fine, the original one is inverted (thus would look okay in nightmode). KOreader is optimized for e-ink and does not really use any animations. However, depending on the refresh mode (and probably CPU etc), rendering of a page with a lot of illustrations might not be instantaneous (on the Note Plus, e.g., I can see the page change starting from the center with the default refresh mode, but not for the several dithering refresh modes).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_KOreader_OnyxBooxNote.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	237.5 KB
ID:	181608   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_converted_KOreader_OnyxBooxNote.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	270.8 KB
ID:	181609  

Last edited by taos; 08-26-2020 at 06:09 PM.
taos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 07:49 PM   #10
MarjaE
Guru

Thank you, that's good!

Tags
animation free, pdf