Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-01-2019, 05:30 AM   #1
cd2013
Connoisseur
cd2013 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G
Question Cannot manage collections from Amazon website (add to collection doesn't work)

I know that Kindle for PC does not support Cloud Collections, which is why I am not managing them from Kindle for PC, but directly from the Amazon website.

If I go to the Amazon website -> shop by department -> Kindle -> manage your content and devices. If I select a book, click add to collections, then choose a collection and press ‘add to collection’, nothing happens. I have tried from two PCs with many combinations of books and collections. When I say it doesn’t work, I mean that if I go to show -> collections (again, from the Amazon website), the collection I should have added a book to stays empty.
cd2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:11 AM   #2
cd2013
Connoisseur

I have finally managed to speak to someone in tech support. They are saying that they don't have this option to add a book to a collection from the Amazon website. As far as they know, collections can be managed only from a Kindle, not from the website.

Does anyone else have it?

They're going to escalate it to the development team and let me know.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:38 AM   #3
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
I was just able to add a book to a collection from my Manage My Kindle page with no problem at all. This, combined with your other thread about not being able to see the collections in the cloud on your new Voyage, sounds like there may be something wrong with your account.

If I were you, I would try Kindle support again to try to get a more knowledgeable customer service agent.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 10:08 AM   #4
cd2013
Connoisseur

Thank you, Shalym - that's good to know!

My experience with their tech support was quite annoying. It was like talking to a senile elderly relative who doesn’t understand what you’re saying. They didn’t understand my first two emails: I wrote that I tried to add a book to a collection from the Amazon web site, and they kept saying that Kindle for PC doesn’t support Cloud Collections. I know that, I’m not using Kindle for PC! Then I tried the chat, where I had to go through the same again (you can’t use Kindle for PC; I’m not; Kindle for PC is not supported; but I’m not using it!); the person on the chat didn’t know anything, so he/she got someone else to call me on my mobile.

This other Amazon tech support person said that on his account he does not have this option, that this option of managing collections through the website is something he wasn’t aware of, that it’s not in the documentation he was given, and he then asked me for screenshots and said he’ll escalate it to the development team.

PS Why is managing collections on the Kindle such a mess? I wish I had known about Kobo and its integration with Calibre (Calibre tags to Kobo shelves) before buying 200ish books on the Kindle!
Old 03-01-2019, 11:03 AM   #5
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by cd2013 View Post
Thank you, Shalym - that's good to know!

My experience with their tech support was quite annoying. It was like talking to a senile elderly relative who doesn’t understand what you’re saying. They didn’t understand my first two emails: I wrote that I tried to add a book to a collection from the Amazon web site, and they kept saying that Kindle for PC doesn’t support Cloud Collections. I know that, I’m not using Kindle for PC! Then I tried the chat, where I had to go through the same again (you can’t use Kindle for PC; I’m not; Kindle for PC is not supported; but I’m not using it!); the person on the chat didn’t know anything, so he/she got someone else to call me on my mobile.

This other Amazon tech support person said that on his account he does not have this option, that this option of managing collections through the website is something he wasn’t aware of, that it’s not in the documentation he was given, and he then asked me for screenshots and said he’ll escalate it to the development team.

PS Why is managing collections on the Kindle such a mess? I wish I had known about Kobo and its integration with Calibre (Calibre tags to Kobo shelves) before buying 200ish books on the Kindle!
I believe that managing collections through the website is only available in certain countries. Maybe the person you were talking to was in a country that doesn't support it?

When I have to deal with support, I always use the "call me back" option. Trying to work with the chat is always an exercise in frustration for me.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 07:02 PM   #6
cd2013
Connoisseur

The books I added about 24 hours ago to a collection, logging in from the website, have only just appeared (in fairness, I last checked about 7 hours ago).

I added another book about 10 minutes ago and it's not shown up. Must be something wrong with their servers.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:48 PM   #7
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
i use their website a lot, to put books into collections. But I usually don't check for the book (on my kindle) for several days. So I don't know whether it's normally slow --- but it always works.

PS to get to "manage content & devices" I just hover over the "Hello MyName, Account & LIsts" button. "Manage content & Devices" is in the right column, 2 lines below a noticably longer line. (Well, that's how I usually find it!)
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cloud, cloud collections, collections