Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-15-2010, 05:35 AM   #1
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
How to turn off auto rotate?

I would like to turn off the auto rotate functionality on my iPod Touch (1st gen, firmware 3.1.1) - turn it off completely for all applications.

I've tried searching for it on the web, but can't find anything useful. I've seen suggestions of using an app from Cydia, but I can't figure out how to find it so I can install it. Any suggestions?
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:04 AM   #2
harakiri
Groupie
harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
I don't think this is possible unless you jailbreak the device.

This is basically what the suggestion you mentioned means.
Jailbreaking the iPod. Then you can install software from any source.

Cydia http://cydia.saurik.com/ is a directory of applications for iDevices that you can install on a jailbroken iPod/iPad/iPhone.
There is also an application available with that name that allows you to install these apps directly from the device
harakiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2010, 08:08 AM   #3
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Aha! Thank you. Now it makes more sense
Old 09-17-2010, 11:57 PM   #4
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Yeah sorry, there's an option in iOS 4, but you can't upgrade a 1st gen to iOS 4. :-/
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:58 AM   #5
aquawater
Enthusiast
aquawater began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I would like to turn off the auto rotate functionality on my iPod Touch (1st gen, firmware 3.1.1) - turn it off completely for all applications.

I've tried searching for it on the web, but can't find anything useful. I've seen suggestions of using an app from Cydia, but I can't figure out how to find it so I can install it. Any suggestions?
Look for Rotation Inhibitor. It works great. I used it while in 3.1.3.
Not needed anymore in 4.0 though.

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2009/06/r...lerometer.html
aquawater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 03:56 AM   #6
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
Yeah sorry, there's an option in iOS 4, but you can't upgrade a 1st gen to iOS 4. :-/
No, unfortunately not. But I don't expect to use it for more than perhaps another 6 months, so I guess I'll just live with the annoyance for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquawater View Post
Look for Rotation Inhibitor. It works great. I used it while in 3.1.3.
Not needed anymore in 4.0 though.

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2009/06/r...lerometer.html
But it means I'll have to jailbreak it, and I don't know if i care to put in the work to do it.