Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-14-2008, 06:10 PM   #16
RandallFlagg
Hey Trashcan Man
RandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook color, prs 505, Axim x30, psp, Acer Aspire One [running xp]
I'm also underwhelmed by this release. I thought I read that the library software was going to be updated, not the bookstore. The user experience with the ebook library is sorely lacking. You are unable to do the most basic tasks that most organizing software allows. They can do whatever they wish to the bookstore and I probably will only go there for free stuff. I would possibly purchase a few books if the library was more like itunes, as I would be using the software daily instead of every few weeks. Calibre [libprs500] rules for now. Kovid Goyal
RandallFlagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 06:12 PM   #17
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
It seems that advanced searching no longer works. You can't search on description any longer.

Dale
Yes, and they've also changed the categories. For example, they now have an Art and Architecture category which used to be buried under other categories. As it is, I cannot tell yet if there are any new books beyond what they had yesterday. The total number of books listed under Fiction and Literature is 11,893 compared to 9,697 one week ago. One possibility is that they've added a few thousand more books. Another possibility is that they now list books that used to only be listed under things like Romance and Horror (that's two categories, not one :smileything also under Fiction and Literature. That is, it's likely there are more books listed under multiple categories. I will have to look at this more.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 07:31 PM   #18
lostatsea
lostatsea began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabound View Post
I still keep getting the blue spinning circle of death, like before. Oh well. In the new format, I don't like it that the information column for a book is now hidden--I now have to click on the "Add'l Info" tab to get to that information. The previous information format was much more convenient and better formatted.
Same here. You shouldn't be able to search and buy from amazon.com in the time it takes for the Sony ebook store to load on your PC. I am convinced that they don't actually want me to buy from them.
lostatsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 07:34 PM   #19
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostatsea View Post
I am convinced that they don't actually want me to buy from them.
Yes, that's it! LOL!
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 08:10 PM   #20
Alfy
Liseur de Bonne Aventure
Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
I assume it's still US only? No changes there?
Alfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 08:59 PM   #21
lostatsea
lostatsea began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfy View Post
I assume it's still US only? No changes there?
US and Canada. No change there at all.
lostatsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 11:20 PM   #22
chrissy
Enthusiast
chrissy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chrissy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chrissy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chrissy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-700
Wow, books from the Sony store really are more expensive than Amazon's!
chrissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 12:45 AM   #23
obanta
obanta began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-500 and PRS-505; BlackBerry 8830
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy View Post
No kidding.

I have a Sony PRS-500 and a PRS-505 on the way and recently got a Kindle. The Sony store experience is utterly disappointing compared to Amazon. I was hoping this would be a major improvement. I feel fortunate I live in the US and the Kindle is an option for me.
obanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 02:52 AM   #24
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostatsea View Post
You shouldn't be able to search and buy from amazon.com in the time it takes for the Sony ebook store to load on your PC.
You counting shipping time in there too?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 02:59 AM   #25
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Now turning to the look via Sony's eBook Library software. The look there is ... pretty much identical to the browser look. The drawback to that is that the Library navigator pane shows up on the left, which shoves the Book Store part off my standard ratio screen, requiring a scroll bar to see the whole thing. I imagine that it'd be fine on one of the newer, wide-format screens however -- I'll have to wait 'till I'm on the other computer to check that.
Just to follow up on this point: for what it's worth, this does look fine on the wide-screen monitor. I guess now we know what kind of monitors they use in whatever shop developed the new bookstore, huh?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 10:13 AM   #26
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekchic View Post
I just get the spinny icon.

Edit: finally came up just took quite awhile. Really hate the side scrolling. Right now I'm on my netbook which is 1024x600 resolution. If they would allow you to totally collapse the left side panel, I'd be able to browse w/o side scrolling.

Oh well, guess I'll use the 24" monitors just to browse the store lol.
I hate it when a site dictates the size of the display. It is terrible when 1024 pixels isn't even enough to display the screen.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:20 AM   #27
Shadowplay
Groupie
Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe
I hate it when a site dictates the size of the display.
Yep I completely agree. I can't help but point out Amazon.com's website for comparison here. Why on Earth in 2008 would a major company go with a fixed width layout?! I mean come on people - this isn't rocket surgery here!

For those at lower resolutions you're stuck scrolling and for anyone using widescreens you get what feels like cramped content with tons of wasted space outside that fixed width. I'm sure most of you know exactly what I'm talking about, but in case I didn't describe this well here's a couple screenshots comparing http://www.amazon.com/ and http://ebookstore.sony.com/ on a 22" widescreen monitor at the native 1650x1080 resolution.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony_eBookStore.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	17888   Click image for larger version

Name:	Amazon.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	17889  

Last edited by Shadowplay; 11-15-2008 at 11:21 AM. Reason: fixed some formatting
Shadowplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 07:03 PM   #28
pitcher23
Zealot
pitcher23 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy View Post
I know. I just purchased a book for my wife for her PRS 500 at $17 and change. The same book cost me $9.99 on my Kindle.
pitcher23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 07:17 PM   #29
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitcher23 View Post
I know. I just purchased a book for my wife for her PRS 500 at $17 and change. The same book cost me $9.99 on my Kindle.
You know if you can buy Kindle books you can dedrm then and convert them to Sony.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 07:45 PM   #30
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
You know if you can buy Kindle books you can dedrm then and convert them to Sony.

BOb
I was thinking the same thing. Since now that I have both, I just buy a Kindle book and dedrm it so I can load it to my Sony. The Sony is still my #1 preference for reading since I love to buy bundles, I love how the Sony calculates by page numbers where you are in the book.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote