Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-23-2009, 12:42 PM   #1
trekker99
Enthusiast
trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9
Simon & Schuster gone epub only?

Anyone noticed S & S has gone epub only? My digital library is also now in epub (from lit/pdf) but many books are missing. Hopefully they are still in the midst of migrating their ebooks.
trekker99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:32 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
IIRC Harper Collins has gone ePub for all newer titles too.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2009, 07:28 PM   #3
jeankap
EReading Gadget Maven
jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: All of 'em.
Has anyone been able to successfully download and transfer S&S epub to a Sony Reader?

I received a 40% coupon for my entire order as an enticement to come back to S&S. I bought 4 books. I've only been able to download one of the books and have it open in ADE. I can't even download the other three books.

I wrote to tech support, and explained the problem to them in detail - the fact that I tried to do this on both my Mac and PC, the fact that I am running the most recent software versions of ADE and Sony Reader. The fact that I am successful at downloading and transferring epub from Books on Board and the NYPL.

I even went so far as to investigate what was going on with the downloads - looks to me like the file that controls encryption of the .epub archive is corrupt.

I got back a canned "check your software, are you using the right machine, flash your Sony Reader" message in response (the last part was especially infuriating since I specifically said that I was attempting to transfer books to a Sony Pocket 300, or 700). Clearly, the guy did not read my email.

I tried again, and got pretty much the same response from the same guy.

That was the last straw - I wrote back last night and stated that he was obviously not reading my email, that I had explained the situation to him in excruciating detail, and that he needed to find someone who could either help me or refund my money.

Thus far, I haven't heard back. I can open one of the books in ADE, but it won't open in the Sony software. The other 3 are, well, f'd if no one at S&S is going to provide me with real support (or at a minimum, epub files that are not corrupt).

Has anyone seen the following when attempting to download and open a new epub in ADE?:

Error getting license
Server communication problem: E_ADEPT_INTERNAL

Further, a look at the .acsm files revealed that I was attempting to download the same .acsm repeatedly (the file for the first book - the one that actually opened in ADE).

Anyone have any ideas of what to do next besides call Amex and challenge the charge on my card?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you might be able to provide.

-Jean
jeankap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:28 PM   #4
300com
Zealot
300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
It sounds like you have robot answering your emails Jean !
300com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:54 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just realized they replaced all my LIT files with ePub's!?!?!

Not a huge deal in this case, but it would have been nice for them to tell folks they were going to be doing it. I'm sure some people won't necessarily want a different format than what they bought and to just arbitrarily do it without notice so they could re-download before the switch seems wrong.

@jeankap

I have seven books there. Four of the ePubs downloaded just fine.

Two had the error...
Quote:
Error getting license
Server communication problem: E_ADEPT_DISTRIBUTOR_AUTH
One had the error...
Quote:
Error getting license
Looks to me like somebody maybe screwed the pooch when setting something up with their Adept Server. Don't know if it's them or Ingram Digital who I believe they use as a distro. I'll email them too, maybe if they get multiple complaints/questions they'll actually do something and not fob it off on the user.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 10-23-2009 at 09:12 PM.
Advert
Old 10-23-2009, 09:24 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

OK, I emailed them. Probably won't hear back until next week I'm sure.

I also PM'd Jim Lester from Adobe and asked him if he might be able to pop into this thread and offer some insight on the errors.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:42 PM   #7
Avarwen
Connoisseur
Avarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of light

Device: EZ_ Reader, Nook wifi, Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeankap View Post
Has anyone been able to successfully download and transfer S&S epub to a Sony Reader?

I received a 40% coupon for my entire order as an enticement to come back to S&S. I bought 4 books. I've only been able to download one of the books and have it open in ADE. I can't even download the other three books.

I wrote to tech support, and explained the problem to them in detail - the fact that I tried to do this on both my Mac and PC, the fact that I am running the most recent software versions of ADE and Sony Reader. The fact that I am successful at downloading and transferring epub from Books on Board and the NYPL.

I even went so far as to investigate what was going on with the downloads - looks to me like the file that controls encryption of the .epub archive is corrupt.

I got back a canned "check your software, are you using the right machine, flash your Sony Reader" message in response (the last part was especially infuriating since I specifically said that I was attempting to transfer books to a Sony Pocket 300, or 700). Clearly, the guy did not read my email.

I tried again, and got pretty much the same response from the same guy.

That was the last straw - I wrote back last night and stated that he was obviously not reading my email, that I had explained the situation to him in excruciating detail, and that he needed to find someone who could either help me or refund my money.

Thus far, I haven't heard back. I can open one of the books in ADE, but it won't open in the Sony software. The other 3 are, well, f'd if no one at S&S is going to provide me with real support (or at a minimum, epub files that are not corrupt).

Has anyone seen the following when attempting to download and open a new epub in ADE?:

Error getting license

Further, a look at the .acsm files revealed that I was attempting to download the same .acsm repeatedly (the file for the first book - the one that actually opened in ADE).

Anyone have any ideas of what to do next besides call Amex and challenge the charge on my card?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you might be able to provide.

-Jean
Sony is still converting its books to epub format so it's most likely on their end, I bought four books from them and one was still in BBeB so I can't get it to download to ADE let alone put it on to my device. I'm assuming this could be a problem if you use other ebook stores as well. The software might not yet be able to read all epub formats.
Avarwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:55 PM   #8
kenmark
Addict
kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avarwen View Post
Sony is still converting its books to epub format so it's most likely on their end, I bought four books from them and one was still in BBeB so I can't get it to download to ADE let alone put it on to my device. I'm assuming this could be a problem if you use other ebook stores as well. The software might not yet be able to read all epub formats.
Sony has their ePubs available?
kenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:01 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
There's only one ePub format. This appears to be some sort of problem with the Adept (DRM) server.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 10-23-2009 at 10:20 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:06 PM   #10
trekker99
Enthusiast
trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9
Quote:
Error getting license
Yup, I got that error too for some of my epubs. Others work fine. One of them gave me the wrong ebook.

BTW, it is Simon & Schuster server which has issues not Sony. jeankap was trying to load epubs bought from them into a Sony Reader.

The best part is that at least half of the books I had bought from S&S cannot even be downloaded. Ah well at least I have downloaded them before.
trekker99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:19 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekker99 View Post
The best part is that at least half of the books I had bought from S&S cannot even be downloaded. Ah well at least I have downloaded them before.
Perfect example of why I unDRM and keep a backup copy, or three, of everything I buy.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:32 AM   #12
Avarwen
Connoisseur
Avarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmark View Post
Sony has their ePubs available?
Yeah I got some books from their store and am able to run them on my EZ Reader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
There's only one ePub format. This appears to be some sort of problem with the Adept (DRM) server.
Ah didn't know that I thought some places had their own epub formats.

Last edited by Avarwen; 10-24-2009 at 12:34 AM.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:45 AM   #13
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Yeah I got some books from their store and am able to run them on my EZ Reader.
Was there a way to tell they were ePub's when shopping the store?
Old 10-24-2009, 12:50 AM   #14
Avarwen
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Was there a way to tell they were ePub's when shopping the store?
Nope or at least I didn't see one. Which is why I was a bit miffed $7.99 is not a lot of money but it would have been nice to know that the book was still in BBeB format. I would have chosen another book.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:07 AM   #15
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Nope or at least I didn't see one. Which is why I was a bit miffed $7.99 is not a lot of money but it would have been nice to know that the book was still in BBeB format. I would have chosen another book.
Yeah, it'd be nice to know, but I guess since they haven't announced the changeover being done yet I'm surprised any of they are ePubs yet.