Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 02-01-2021, 03:32 PM   #1
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
How on Earth are you supposed to open Android settings menus???

I mean the tiny 3-dot menus with maybe 6 mm of screen space in the upper right corners of each app. [P.S. I mean application settings menus in Android, rather than system settings.]

I've tried tapping, I've tried pressing, I've tried tapping HARD.

I can open the menu about 1 in 20 times, but I have yet to find a technique which works more than 1 in 20 times.

Today, I've tried more than 100 times without @#$% success.

Last edited by MarjaE; 02-02-2021 at 05:27 PM.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 04:53 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Android is a unfinished OS with a stupid GUI. Google's Material Design guidelines are crazy.

Some work with the menu key on a BT or USB keyboard. I also have ONE old Android phone that had the home, return, tasks AND a menu button, physically on the phone. The obsession started by Apple of having no buttons and only in window buttons was retrograde.

I totally understand your frustration. It's totally valid.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2021, 04:28 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Can't see the issue (and I have the world's fattest fingers). What version of Android are you talking about?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 08:36 AM   #4
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Can't say that I've ever experienced this issue and my fingers aren't exactly dainty. However, I do tend to have my system font on the "large" setting. This is primarily for ease of reading, but perhaps it makes those three dots easier to select as well.

So you might want to adjust the system font size in Settings. I wonder if playing around with the settings for touch screen sensitivity might also help.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 01:56 PM   #5
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Likebook Mars, 7.8" screen, Android 8.1.0. I've searched the manual but can't find anything about system font sizes.

I don't know if a stylus would help, but I got a keyboard for typing and it might help.
Advert
Old 02-02-2021, 02:47 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The only time I ever had trouble with what seemed like touch-screen response was when I was on older hardware that turned out to be overtaxed with updates and software it could barely "support". There are also some touch screen calibration apps out there in case something has gotten out of whack in that department.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 03:29 PM   #7
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Not sure where accesibility settings are located in Likebooks. if you can't find them look under advanced settings/developer settings.

If you still cannot locate them use adb.

Code:
adb shell am start -a android.settings.ACCESSIBILITY_SETTINGS
That command should work on any android device. Since Likebook is a crappy company I would trust you if that setting doesn't work at all
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 04:07 PM   #8
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Don't know Likebook at all.

On my Onyx devices I got to: Settings / More Settings / System Display and then choose the appropriate font size.

On my Hisense A5 phone, I go to: Settings / Display and brightness / and scroll down to System to choose the appropriate font size.

If you can install apps on the Likebook, you might want to try a Hidden Settings app. There are a few of them out there and they can make navigating to the correct area in Settings a little easier than trying to discover it in the native Settings area on a device.
Old 02-02-2021, 04:27 PM   #9
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post
Likebook Mars, 7.8" screen, Android 8.1.0. I've searched the manual but can't find anything about system font sizes.

I don't know if a stylus would help, but I got a keyboard for typing and it might help.
On the Mars, at the bottom of the home screen has the "app" selection next to the "read"; touch 'app' & see the installed apps as well as the "user setting"; touch setting to do what you wish. Think that the Likebook people believe that the "settings" is just another app............

With other tablets, I see a dropdown with the setting on top & another version with the setting at the bottom of the drop down as a very small icon. The ipad has it on a screen.

Last edited by crane3; 02-02-2021 at 04:29 PM. Reason: correction: user setting
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 05:32 PM   #10
MarjaE
Guru

I am referring to each application's app settings menu, in Android, which seems to standardize a tiny 3-dot menu in the upper right corner. In the Likebook Mars, Android settings themselves are in User Settings in the home screen.
Old 02-02-2021, 06:46 PM   #11
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
I am referring to each application's app settings menu, in Android, which seems to standardize a tiny 3-dot menu in the upper right corner. In the Likebook Mars, Android settings themselves are in User Settings in the home screen.
These 3 dots can be made bigger by changing the zoom factor. That's an accesibility feature. ⋮

These 3 dots can be made bigger by changing the zoom factor. That's an accesibility feature. ⋮

pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 07:55 PM   #12
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
Unfortunately, that's not a feature available on all Android devices. At least, it's not available on my Note Pro which is running Android 6. Not sure about the Likebook devices.
Old 02-02-2021, 08:07 PM   #13
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
I've just been playing around with the System Font Size on my Note Pro. It doesn't seem to affect the size of the three dots much.

As I have never experienced such an issue on any Android device that I've owned, and I've had a good few in a wide variety of sizes, it may be that there is something wrong with your screen.

If you can enable Developer Options on your device, you could try enabling the "Show layout bounds" feature. It will show you the area within which you have to press to trigger a selection. If you are touching that area, and on a 7.8" device that shouldn't be difficult, then it could be there is a problem with the screen in which case you might wish to return it to get a replacement.
Old 02-02-2021, 08:42 PM   #14
MarjaE
Guru

Thanks.

I've encountered trouble with both portrait and landscape mode, so I doubt it's a screen issue. If I show taps and layout bounds, it shows that the menus don't extend to the edge, but it's registering my taps up against the edge.

I've also set up a keyboard, can use arrow keys for navigation though I could use taps for that anyway, can't seem to do anything about functions or menus though.

Last edited by MarjaE; 02-02-2021 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-03-2021, 01:53 AM   #15
omneity
omneity began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Note Pro, Onyx Boox Poke Pro, Likebook Mars, Likebook Ares
I had a similar problem with my Likebook Mars in that the top corners of the screen were less responsive to touch input. The latest official update BYRead-V3.0.3-2021011418 fixed it.
omneity is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android