Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 02-08-2021, 07:33 AM   #901
tothemoon
tothemoon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 10th
I'd just like to ask about PDF annotations too. They're in the myclipping.txt and show up in other services but not with the plugin.

Are they something which is not supported?

Thanks again
tothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 09:49 PM   #902
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tothemoon View Post
I'd just like to ask about PDF annotations too. They're in the myclipping.txt and show up in other services but not with the plugin.

Are they something which is not supported?
They should be supported. And I'm sure others have reported they have been fetched in the past. Are you using the latest beta? If not, please try it. And if they still do not get fetched, I need some details. A debug log from calibre with the debug option in the plugin turned on. Plus the "My Clippings.txt" from from the device. Either post them here or upload them and send me a PM with the link to the files.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 09:54 PM   #903
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tothemoon View Post
Is a 'clean copy' mode a possibility? Where just the text content can be exported (clipboard or .txt or whatever) and not interfere with any of the location data.

I'm formatting the notes in another application, I suspect it's a pretty regular use case. Given that clipping.io is now a paid service, your is the only way to do this for free. So hopefully more users!
Honestly, I very much doubt that. If it was a regular use case, someone would have asked for it before. Or at least recently. And sorry, but I am just not interested in doing this. The plugin has fairly well defined goals. It won't be that hard for you to remove the tags in an editor.

The next change I am interested in for the plugin is adding support for the calibre annotations (fetch from device to these). That is going to cause enough problems that adding something that I don't use, and, doesn't really have much interest elsewhere, is not something I want to do.
Quote:
[Current workaround is to use a unique string in the 'Timestamp format' field, which allows you to Find All in a text editor and get rid of the location markers]

Any textual marker to mark the start of a note would help! Just like the 'Timestamp format' allows, since it would enable post processing through a text editor/macros.

To bring the formatting options inside the plugin does open up some questions, and would be a luxury if the above was possible.
The CSS gets stripped in a text editor is my problem, but I understand mine might be a fringe case.
I'll think about this, but, again, it isn't that interesting for me compared to the amount of work it would need.
Old 02-17-2021, 01:17 PM   #904
manouchk
manouchk began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
No module named 'ParseKindleMyClippingsTxt' in annotations plugin

Hi,

I'm a new user of calibre (and hope my post is relevant). I tried the plugin annotations and got the following error:

Quote:
calibre, version 5.9.0
ERREUR : Exception non gérée: <b>ModuleNotFoundError</b>:No module named 'ParseKindleMyClippingsTxt'

calibre 5.9 embedded-python: False is64bit: True
Linux-5.6.11-arch1-1-x86_64-with-glibc2.32 Linux ('64bit', 'ELF')
('Linux', '5.6.11-arch1-1', '#1 SMP PREEMPT Wed, 06 May 2020 17:32:37 +0000')
Python 3.9.1
Interface language: fr
Successfully initialized third party plugins: DeDRM (7, 0, 3) && Annotations (1, 14, 0)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre_plugins.annotations.action", line 364, in fetch_usb_connected_device_annotations
self.fetch_usb_device_annotations(primary_name)
File "calibre_plugins.annotations.action", line 392, in fetch_usb_device_annotations
annotated_book_list = self.get_annotated_books_on_usb_device(reader_app)
File "calibre_plugins.annotations.action", line 598, in get_annotated_books_on_usb_device
ra.get_active_annotations()
File "/tmp/calibre_annotations_plugin/Kindle.py", line 71, in get_active_annotations
File "/tmp/calibre_annotations_plugin/Kindle.py", line 331, in _parse_my_clippings
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'ParseKindleMyClippingsTxt'
I use an old calibre, version 5.9.0 available in archlinux.
manouchk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 01:22 PM   #905
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Moderator Notice
Moved to the appropriate thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manouchk View Post
Hi,

I'm a new user of calibre (and hope my post is relevant). I tried the plugin annotations and got the following error:

JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 10:24 PM   #906
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Hi,

You have the release version of the plugin installed, but, it should work. Though I have no way to test this on a Linux box with a Kindle. Has it worked before? Or is this a new install? Can you install one of the recent beta's to check? And how are you installing the plugin?
Old 02-23-2021, 12:25 PM   #907
manouchk

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
You have the release version of the plugin installed, but, it should work. Though I have no way to test this on a Linux box with a Kindle. Has it worked before? Or is this a new install? Can you install one of the recent beta's to check? And how are you installing the plugin?
It has not worked before.
This a new install and I'm know very thing about all this for the moment.
I don't remember how I did the installation.
I removed annotations plugins and installed from the file attached to this post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=241206.
I also updated calibre to version 5.11 but the message is the same.
I may have missed something.
Can that be a problem of python version? Python here is python 3.9.1.
Old 02-23-2021, 10:07 PM   #908
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It has not worked before.
This a new install and I'm know very thing about all this for the moment.
I don't remember how I did the installation.
I removed annotations plugins and installed from the file attached to this post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=241206.
I also updated calibre to version 5.11 but the message is the same.
I may have missed something.
Can that be a problem of python version? Python here is python 3.9.1.
Just did a test on my Ubuntu machine at work. I had to fiddle a little as I don't have a Kindle device, but, it did load the "ParseKindleMyClippingsTxt" module.

How are you installing calibre? From the error message, this is using the Python from the machine. Is this installed from the distribution or from the calibre site? The latter is the only supported way of installing calibre. Using the distributions version is prone to "interesting" errors. This might be one of those.
Old 02-24-2021, 06:25 AM   #909
aei
aei began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4th Gen
Hi! I recently started using this plugin to fetch annotations made on my Kindle. I stumbled upon a reply from Kovid Goyal in this thread, and he states that:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The annotations are also saved inside the epub file (unless you turned it off) [...]
I would like to keep my epub files clean for sharing and rereading purposes. Where can I find this setting, or am I perhaps misunderstanding something?

(I am using Calibre 5.11 on macOS with Annotations version 1.14.0).
aei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 07:21 AM   #910
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aei View Post
Hi! I recently started using this plugin to fetch annotations made on my Kindle. I stumbled upon a reply from Kovid Goyal in this thread, and he states that:

I would like to keep my epub files clean for sharing and rereading purposes. Where can I find this setting, or am I perhaps misunderstanding something?

(I am using Calibre 5.11 on macOS with Annotations version 1.14.0).
Kovid is talking about something completely different. If you use the calibre viewer, you can make annotations in the viewer. These can be stored in the book. The Annotations plugin writes to a column in the metadata. This does not touch the actual book.
Old 02-24-2021, 09:56 AM   #911
aei
aei began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4th Gen
Quote:
Kovid is talking about something completely different. If you use the calibre viewer, you can make annotations in the viewer. These can be stored in the book. The Annotations plugin writes to a column in the metadata. This does not touch the actual book.
Great, thank you for the clarification!
aei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 04:18 PM   #912
manouchk

Quote:
Just did a test on my Ubuntu machine at work. I had to fiddle a little as I don't have a Kindle device, but, it did load the "ParseKindleMyClippingsTxt" module.

How are you installing calibre? From the error message, this is using the Python from the machine. Is this installed from the distribution or from the calibre site? The latter is the only supported way of installing calibre. Using the distributions version is prone to "interesting" errors. This might be one of those.
It was installed from archlinux. I will discuss this on archlinux. We may find the problem there. I will try to install calibre. Is it possible to install calibre inside the home of a user?

I also did not found the way to add a column for the annotation plugin. I've just seen that is recommended but I could not found the way to create one.
Old 02-27-2021, 12:08 AM   #913
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It was installed from archlinux. I will discuss this on archlinux. We may find the problem there.
The general rule is that the those maintaining the distros drop a package or something so that the dependencies are wrong. The change to Python 3 probably removes one of the major things, but, there is still a lot of things modules that Kovid has fixed problems with.
Quote:
I will try to install calibre. Is it possible to install calibre inside the home of a user?
Honestly, I don't know. And I have never looked. There is probably something on the installation or FAQ pages about it.
Quote:
I also did not found the way to add a column for the annotation plugin. I've just seen that is recommended but I could not found the way to create one.
How about the button next to the column name drop-down? Otherwise, there is a page in the calibre preferences for adding your own column. You just need a "Long text like comments" column. The plugin configuration will show all suitable columns.
Old 02-27-2021, 04:43 PM   #914
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
s it possible to install calibre inside the home of a user?
If you look at the Download for Linux page, it does show how to install calibre to a different directory but that is for the version from the calibre site. I did use this to install to my home directory on a Linux VM out of curiosity.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:36 AM   #915
Noirtier
Noirtier began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noirtier View Post
Ah thank you, I see now. I will send you a new PM with the Calibre folders for each of the examples I sent you previously, so that you have a copy of the metadata.opf files.

P.S. I think I have figured out how to get email notifications in this forum now so hopefully will be a bit quicker to reply next time
Hi David,

I've been having another play with this today after updating the Kobo driver, Calibre to 5.12 and the annotations plugin to 1.14.10. It looks like the issue with some annotations appearing in the preview, but not being added to the metadata correctly still remains unfortunately. I imported annotations from five new books: Two imported all correctly, one imported mostly fine apart from some ordering differences between the preview and saved metadata, while the remaining two had significant chunks missing. Let me know if you would like me to try anything else, but no worries either way. It is not a big problem to work around by copying from the preview (though changing the preview window so it is not always forced on top of all other windows would help a bit with this).

The bigger problem is really having to re-stitch together all the sections that crossed over page-breaks, and thus needed to be marked with two separate highlights in the Kobo (I think this might be where the ordering differences sometimes crop up between the Kobo/preview and imported metadata versions – I guess one uses the location in the book to order, while the other uses the timestamp of the highlight to order perhaps?). I assume there is nothing anyone can do about the buggy highlighting functionality other than Kobo themselves.

All the best,

N
Noirtier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sampleexportingapp