Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 10-19-2017, 05:34 PM   #16
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
have yet to listen to an audiobook read by the author which I thought successful.
Harlan Ellison is excellent at reading his own work. He's does well with other authors too, if given the right book.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 05:41 PM   #17
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This audiobook anthology at Audible has a sample Ellison reading Jeffty is Five.
https://www.audible.com/pd/Fiction/T...8449155&sr=1-2
Advert
Old 10-19-2017, 05:58 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The question that's yet to be answered is when does this get funny?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:57 AM   #19
BenG
Home Guard

What did you think of the book other than it not being funny.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:58 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
What did you think of the book other than it not being funny.
I've not finished it. I took a break waiting to find out where the funny bits are. Are there any funny bits or were we ripped off?
Advert
Old 10-20-2017, 05:18 AM   #21
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
I read Towles's Rules of Civility earlier this year and thought it awful, which put me off Gentleman in Moscow, which I had wanted to read. Did you read the earlier novel and did you like it? Because I'm willing to chalk it up to not having hit his stride yet, but not if it turns out I just don't like him.
No, I have not read the earlier novel yet. It's now on the TBR list, but you're giving me second thoughts. OTOH, I do have about 9 bucks in new amazon settlement credit, so what the heck.

Glad you are enjoying Dent.. Go Yankees. One more over Houston, then on to the Dodgers...
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:18 AM   #22
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
.. Go Yankees. One more over Houston, then on to the Dodgers...

I noticed an error in the header to Chapter 12; that would be 6 games back and not 5.5.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 09:42 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

I noticed an error in the header to Chapter 12; that would be 6 games back and not 5.5.
The chapters don't have titles. They have numbers. So how can that be an error in the chapter header?
Old 10-20-2017, 10:38 AM   #24
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
I will say that I don't think David Duchovny has done himself any favors by reading his own book, actor or not. I've listened to good narrations from some actors, but have yet to listen to an audiobook read by the author which I thought successful.
I'm listening to one right now - The Return by Hisham Matar. It probably helps immensely that it's non-fiction, so it's mostly narrating his thoughts rather than narrating a storyline with many characters' voices, but I'd go so far as to say his narration makes it even better because it makes the book feel that much more personal (and I can trust he's pronouncing all the foreign people, places and words correctly).

I also remember listening to The Country Girls narrated by the author Edna O'Brien. It was back when I was still newer to audiobooks so I didn't think about it as much, but from what I remember the narration was only okay. Her voice was a bit weak and wavery. I also just recently finished Year of Wonders read by the author Geraldine Brooks, and oddly have the exact same vocal criticism of her reading as O'Brien's, but Brooks' narration is excoriated in the Audible ratings so I was willing to be empathetic to it since I didn't think it that bad.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:11 AM   #25
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:

The half comes from not having played an equal number of games. GB is number of games back to get to a tie and is also the number of games the team behind needs to win and the team ahead needs to lose.. Given the data in chapter 12, the yanks would be ahead and not tied if they won 6 while the Sox lost 6 and the Sox would still be ahead if they lost 5 and the yanks won 5, hence, the 5 and a half.

example

Team a 63 25

Team B 62 25

Team B is 1/2 GB, Team B only needs to win one to tie while team A doesn't need to lose.

If it were

Team A 63 25
Team B 62 26

Team B is one GB, meaning team a loses one while team b wins one.

Call it a statistician quirk. I guess think of one game back as being one pair of games, one lost (the team in front) and one won (the team behind).

Last edited by drofgnal; 10-20-2017 at 11:19 AM.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:54 AM   #26
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm seeing different numbers, Boston as having won 43 and lost 19 and the Yankees as having won 36 and lost 24. In my baseball universe, that amounts to 6 games back. The Sox have won 7 more and lost 5 fewer; (7 + 5)/2 = 6.

(I really do get about half games; it just doesn't apply to the numbers in my edition .)
Old 10-20-2017, 02:56 PM   #27
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've not finished it. I took a break waiting to find out where the funny bits are. Are there any funny bits or were we ripped off?
Jon have you got to the parts about yoga and the Y? Because I think they qualify as LOL funny.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:59 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Jon have you got to the parts about yoga and the Y? Because I think they qualify as LOL funny.
Not yet. I'm going to finish the Spencer book today and I'll get back to Bucky after that. Thanks for that.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:50 AM   #29
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Even given Marty's mystic connection to the Red Sox, I still find it a little odd that characters in early 50s Brooklyn would be so into the Yankees/Red Sox rivalry. What about the Dodgers/Giants? Marty and Ted must have felt pretty isolated.
Old 10-22-2017, 03:45 PM   #30
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Even given Marty's mystic connection to the Red Sox, I still find it a little odd that characters in early 50s Brooklyn would be so into the Yankees/Red Sox rivalry.
...a point that is addressed later in the book.