Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-09-2013, 01:23 PM   #2251
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool yep...

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_phoenix View Post
I love Harry's smart aleck personality.
...as do I, Red, as do I!!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:16 PM   #2252
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool Dresden Files Snippits (from Dead Beat)

Quote:
A shaggy section of the kitchen floor hauled itself to its feet and came to meet me with a sheepish, sleepy shuffle. My dog, Mouse, had started off as fuzzy little grey puppy that fit into my coat pocket. Now, almost a year later, I sometimes wished I’d sent my coat to the cleaners or something. Mouse had gone from fuzz ball to fuzz barge. You couldn’t guess at a breed to look at him, but at least one of his parents must have been a wooly mammoth. The dog’s shoulders came nearly to my waist, and the vet didn’t think he was finished growing yet. That translated into an awful lot of beast for my tiny apartment.

--------------------------------------------------------------

My grave is one of the more humble ones there. It’s standing open, too—the vampire noble who bought it for me had set it up to be that way. She’d gotten me a coffin on permanent standby, too, sort of like the president gets Air Force One, only a little more morbid. Dead Force One.

My headstone is simple white marble, a vertical stone, but it’s engraved in bold letters inlaid with gold: HARRY DRESDEN. Then a gold-inlaid pentacle, a five-pointed star surrounded by a circle—the symbol of the forces of magic contained within mortal will. Underneath it are more letters: HE DIED DOING THE RIGHT THING.

It’s a sobering sort of place to visit.

A bass drum was strapped to his back, and a couple of wires ran to his ankles from a pair of beaters mounted on the frame. The drum beat in time to stomps of his feet. A small but genuine tuba hung from his slender shoulders, and there were more strings attached to his elbows, which moved back and forth in time to “oom” and “pah” respectively. He held an accordion in his hands, strapped to the harness on his chest. A clarinet had been clamped to the accordion so that the end was near his mouth, and there was, I swear to God, a cymbal on a frame held to his head.

Butters marched in place, red-faced, sweating, and beaming as he thumped and oompahed and blared accordion music. I just stood there staring, because while I have seen a lot of weird things, I hadn’t ever seen that. Butters wrapped up the polka and energetically banged his head against the tuba, producing a deafening clash from the cymbal.

“Who,” said the man, his accent thick and British, “are you?”

“The Great Pumpkin,” I responded. “I’ve risen from the pumpkin patch a bit early because Butters is just that nifty. And you are?”

“Bite me,” I answered him. “Get your own book, Kemmlerite.”

“I have nothing but disdain for the madman Kemmler,” he spat. “Have a care what insults you offer. This need not involve you at all, Dresden.”

That gave me a moment’s pause, as they say. Taking on arrogant, powerful dark wizards is one thing. Taking on ones who have done their homework and who know who you are is something else entirely. It was my turn to be rattled.

The dark figure noted it. His not-human voice swayed into the night again in a low laugh.

“Touche, O dark master of evil bathrobes,” I said. “But I’m still not giving you my copy of the book.”
Advert
Old 08-11-2013, 06:56 PM   #2253
Tony Richards
Wizard
Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I love Harry's smart aleck personality.
Couldn't agree more. It's just not true that 'nobody loves a smart aleck.'
Tony Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:27 AM   #2254
leanansidhe
Faerie Godmother
leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
I love all the snippets from the books , this thread is great. This is my absolute favourite series. You can't help loving these characters, good or bad. I can't count how many times I've burst out laughing while reading these books. He's such a smarty pants. This was the best line in the whole series so far for me:

Quote:
"Thomas scowled. “An errand is getting a tank of gas or picking up a carton of milk or something. It is not getting chased by flying purple pyromaniac gorillas hurling incendiary poo.”
I almost cried because I was laughing so hard the first time I read it.

I just started re-reading the series and it's good to see how many fans of Dresden there are here .
leanansidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:36 AM   #2255
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Welcome...

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhe2 View Post
I love all the snippets from the books , this thread is great. This is my absolute favourite series. You can't help loving these characters, good or bad. I can't count how many times I've burst out laughing while reading these books. He's such a smarty pants. This was the best line in the whole series so far for me:

I almost cried because I was laughing so hard the first time I read it.

I just started re-reading the series and it's good to see how many fans of Dresden there are here .
Good of you to join us, WELCOME!

Advert
Old 08-12-2013, 09:37 AM   #2256
leanansidhe
Faerie Godmother
leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post

Thank you Alan! Great to be here
Old 08-12-2013, 09:39 AM   #2257
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Dresden Files Snippit (from Dead Beat)

Quote:
“We are not going to die.”

Butters stared up at me, pale, his eyes terrified. “We’re not?”

“No. And do you know why?”

He shook his head.

“Because Thomas is too pretty to die. And because I’m too stubborn to die.” I hauled on the shirt even harder. “And most of all because tomorrow is Oktoberfest, Butters, and polka will never die.”

He blinked.

“Polka will never die!” I shouted at him. “Say it!”

He swallowed. “Polka will never die?”

“Again!”

“P-p-polka will never die,” he stammered.

I shook him a little. “Louder!”

“Polka will never die!” he shrieked.

“We’re going to make it!” I shouted.

“Polka will never die!” Butters screamed.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:03 AM   #2258
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Butters is such a great character.
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:21 AM   #2259
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Butters and Dead Beat

Quote:
I agree. Also a lot of the appeal of Dead Beat for me is due to the emergence of Butters as a braver fellow that he ever dreamed that he could be. Along with that is the emergence of Mouse's character and also Ramirez. And of course, Sue!

Old 08-12-2013, 10:31 AM   #2260
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Zowie!! Blood Rites was SUPER!! Now on to the one I've always considered as my favorite (ignoring the fact that I've also always said that my favorite is the one I'm currently reading), Dead Beat!!
WOWZERS! Loved re-reading Dead Beat. I finished it last night! Now on to Proven Guilty!!

Old 08-12-2013, 11:58 AM   #2261
leanansidhe
Faerie Godmother

Quote:
He is so hilarious. I like that his character has grown so much over the last few books. He's really come out of his shell.

Another great character is Sanya, I love his phrase "Small, but fierce!" when he refers to Murphy.

I get too involved with these characters .
Old 08-12-2013, 12:06 PM   #2262
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:

Welcome Lea. (You are immediately assigned the nickname Lea, becasue even in my head, I never fully pronounce Leanandsidhe!)

AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:04 PM   #2263
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Some replys...

Quote:
He is so hilarious. I like that his character has grown so much over the last few books. He's really come out of his shell.

Another great character is Sanya, I love his phrase "Small, but fierce!" when he refers to Murphy.

I get too involved with these characters .
The fact that you want to get involved with and wish to engage with so many of his characters is the beauty of Butcher's story-telling ability and the skillfulness of his writing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
Welcome Lea. (You are immediately assigned the nickname Lea, becasue even in my head, I never fully pronounce Leanandsidhe!)
Naw! She's Junior for now! Look at her current 'user title', 'Junior Member'! Lea can come later. I can hear Sean Connery calling Harrison Ford 'junior' and that's just plain funny!
Old 08-12-2013, 01:29 PM   #2264
leanansidhe
Faerie Godmother

Quote:
Naw! She's Junior for now! Look at her current 'user title', 'Junior Member'! Lea can come later. I can hear Sean Connery calling Harrison Ford 'junior' and that's just plain funny!
You wait until I can change that title....I think I can after 10 posts or something. I have to come up with something good, definitely can't do the Junior thing. I'm at least 1000 years old .

ETA: Changed now

Last edited by leanansidhe; 08-12-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:03 PM   #2265
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool ooops...

Quote:
Quote:
You wait until I can change that title....I think I can after 10 posts or something. I have to come up with something good, definitely can't do the Junior thing. I'm at least 1000 years old .

ETA: Changed now
Okay....I take it back!

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy