Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-21-2017, 04:40 PM   #1081
salamon
salamon began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Max
The directions are the same as github's. And I deviated from the both directions in that when installing kpvbooklet, I added the bin file to the mrpackages file and triggered :log mrpi to install (they asked me to install via kual helper, but your forum seemed to indicate that my device should use the MRpi method for bin files) and then I installed koreader (one koreader root file and separate one placed in the extensions file).

To install the jailbreak I followed your instructions, which were very clear by the way - Thank you. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=275877
I completed all the steps in the right order before trying to install koreader.
salamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:52 PM   #1082
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
I guess we can't wiggle out of supporting you in that case.

But I have never used KOreader, someone else will have to provide answers.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:14 PM   #1083
salamon

Ok. Thanks. I'm considering just trying to uninstall koreader and kpvbooklet and using a different method of installation. Can you tell me a safe way to uninstall these?
Old 04-21-2017, 05:20 PM   #1084
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamon View Post
Ok. Thanks. I'm considering just trying to uninstall koreader and kpvbooklet and using a different method of installation. Can you tell me a safe way to uninstall these?
No, I do not know.

What I can tell you, is that regardless of how you trigger MrPI (KUAL or Search Bar) the installation process is the same.

IIRC, KPVbooklet has an uninstall package.
KOreader ? ? ? ? ?
Old 04-21-2017, 08:09 PM   #1085
salamon

Let's say I try to downgrade the firmware to see if my firmware is the issue. My steps would be place desired update into root directory->update your kindle-> reinstall mrpi and kual. Is this correct?
Old 04-21-2017, 09:06 PM   #1086
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamon View Post
Let's say I try to downgrade the firmware to see if my firmware is the issue. My steps would be place desired update into root directory->update your kindle-> reinstall mrpi and kual. Is this correct?
Are you running a consumer firmware build or are you still running the production line testing build that you started the jailbreak with?

If yes, that is your problem, install one of the consumer firmware build listed in the spoiler of step #7.

If no, then what you describe will not work, the consumer firmware has downgrade attack protection.

What you do, is re-install the factory, production line, firmware build just as you did when you started the jail break process.
The jail break will survive.

Then install the desired consumer firmware build version.
The jail break will survive.

Never, at any point, touch the "Reset" selection, never!

Once you have done the:
current -> factory -> consumer firmware route, you must re-install all of our add-ins (except the jb and the hotfix).

That warning is also in the new (today) introduction.

= = = =

Re-read the new (today) introduction, including the spoiler, before you begin.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:15 PM   #1087
salamon

I have solved the problem. I redownloaded KPVBooklet and then Koreader, using the nightly build version of koreader (I previously used the stable version). Someone on reddit with the same generation kindle had the same problem and told me how he solved it. Apparently the stable version may have some problems with this kindle or firmware version (5.8.7). Hope this helps anyone else who gets stuck.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:58 AM   #1088
picree
Connoisseur
picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle Oasis KOA FW 5.13.3 JB
Reindex Native KOA Library

Problem: sideloaded ePubs don't display reliably in the natvie Kindle Library Manager.

Question: how can I reset the native Kindle Library Manager so it can 'reindex' the items on my KOA?

The first sideloaded ePub appeared in the native LM but clicking the book would not launch KOReader via KPVBooklet. I deleted/removed that book and all it's references and folders but a reference still exists in the LM. Clicking the name of the book results in a popup dialog "Application Error". KOReader file manager shows no entries for that book. A subsequent sideloaded ePub book does not appear in the native LM but does appear in the KOReader file manager and can successfully be launched from there.

My guess is it has something to do with a cache somewhere that is related to the cloud. To avoid an upgrade to 5.8.8 I keep the kindle on Airplane mode. I have the 'update.bin.tmp.partial' folder so I guess I could turn on wifi to maybe reset that cache but would rather not risk an update. Is there a way to locally force the kindle to refresh the native Library Manager?

KOA Jailbroken 5.8.5
KPVBooklet 0.6.5 installed via ;log mrpi
KOReader nightly 20170308
picree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:46 AM   #1089
knc1
Going Viral

Have you rebooted the Kindle?

Downloads of OTA update files is not instantaneous, they are over 100Mbytes is size.
Ask yourself: "Do you have over 100Mbytes of index files to sync?"

Last edited by knc1; 04-23-2017 at 08:51 AM.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:23 PM   #1090
picree
Connoisseur
picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Have you rebooted the Kindle?
Yes, several times.

Quote:
Downloads of OTA update files is not instantaneous, they are over 100Mbytes is size.
Ask yourself: "Do you have over 100Mbytes of index files to sync?"
OK, so taking the Kindle online may flush the cache?
Old 04-23-2017, 02:12 PM   #1091
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by picree View Post
Yes, several times.

OK, so taking the Kindle online may flush the cache?
Cache?

You write of an LM cache (library management?) -
I know of no such component of the Kindle system.

But recent versions of the Kindle firmware, those since Collections Management became a part of the Amazon device management page, attempt to keep the device and the account's cloud in-sync.

Also, the recent versions of the firmware list the items that only reside on the cloud and do not actually download to the device until selected.
That status is easier to see if you put the device in "list mode" rather than "cover mode".
And, that is another thing that needs to be sync'd with the account cloud.

So yes, connecting the device with your account and pressing the 'sync' button should make changes to what you are seeing.

If you want to get rid of something being listed on the Kindle, you need to both use the "Delete" function (long press rather than tap) of the Kindle and delete the item from your account.
(I am pretty sure there is a comment shown by the delete confirmation panel to that effect.)

= = = =

But you are writing of side-loaded, non-Amazon format documents interacting with some very old firmware.
The Amazon system on the Kindle should be ignoring them.

If you think it is a problem with KOreader, you might get better help in the KOreader forum.

Last edited by knc1; 04-23-2017 at 02:17 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 03:49 PM   #1092
picree
Connoisseur

Quote:
Cache?

You write of an LM cache (library management?) -
I know of no such component of the Kindle system.
I don't know of anything like that either. That was just a generic way to try to describe the fact that there must be some sort of file or pointer that won't let go of the entry for the deleted book.

Quote:
If you want to get rid of something being listed on the Kindle, you need to both use the "Delete" function (long press rather than tap) of the Kindle and delete the item from your account.
Oddly a Long Press does nothing for this entry (unlike a normal book).

Connecting to the cloud didn't fix the errant entry in the native library.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:03 PM   #1093
picree
Connoisseur

Solved:

I downgraded KPVBooklet 0.6.5 back to 0.6.4 (using ;log mrpi) and that seems to have fixed it. The native library manager updated, it deleted the non-existent book and now correctly shows the new book. ePubs can now be launched via KPVBooklet.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:21 PM   #1094
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by picree View Post
Solved:

I downgraded KPVBooklet 0.6.5 back to 0.6.4 (using ;log mrpi) and that seems to have fixed it. The native library manager updated, it deleted the non-existent book and now correctly shows the new book.

ePubs can now be launched via KPVBooklet.
The second might be explained by changes made to support newer software in the newer release.

The first remains just strange.
"Strange" :: A C.S. status somewhere between impossible and unknowable.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:01 PM   #1095
Radeon89
Radeon89 began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
I tried to open three different pdf files with KOReader but none of the files allow me to change the font size (If I click on the Aa button I see the various font sizes but everything is greyed out). Is this function available in "specific" PDF files only or?
Radeon89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
application, k5 tools, kindle, koreader, launcher add-ons, lua, reader, touch