Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-24-2021, 04:54 PM   #16
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellaris View Post
Honestly, accessing Android on a Tolino and installing apps is not difficult. It is just as easy or just as difficult as patching a Kobo. No prior knowledge is required. You simply need to follow the steps outlined in the forums dedicated to it.
Really? Can you install KoReader and Plato on a unpatched/unrooted Tolino using the equivalent of the 1-Click install package for a Kobo ereader? And please note that I differentiate between the average MobileRead denizen who, generally, is much more comfortable with hacking their ereaders than the average user in the wild.

Quote:
The choice between one device or another depends on individual tastes and preferences. I have both and the one I use the most is the Tolino Shine 3. But I understand that other people (with other tastes or preferences) prefer the Kobo Clara HD.
Whereas for me, I prefer the Kobo.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 05:30 PM   #17
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Really? Can you install KoReader and Plato on a unpatched/unrooted Tolino using the equivalent of the 1-Click install package for a Kobo ereader? And please note that I differentiate between the average MobileRead denizen who, generally, is much more comfortable with hacking their ereaders than the average user in the wild.

Whereas for me, I prefer the Kobo.
Installing KOReader on a Kobo is very simple indeed. Patching a Kobo is more complicated, but not difficult. Accessing Android and installing KOReader on a Tolino is more complicated, but not difficult. Patching a Kobo or accessing Android on a Tolino is more complicated because you have to do more things, but it is not difficult because you only have to follow the steps outlined in the forums, i.e. read and execute in order. A person who is able to patch a Kobo is equally able to access Android on a Tolino. It is not difficult at all.

I use KOReader on both devices and prefer the Tolino Shine 3 because I like the illumination of its screen better. I don't mind taking 5 minutes to access Android and install KOReader because the rest of the time I'll be reading on a screen I like much better. But, I insist, it's a matter of personal taste.
cellaris is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2021, 07:08 PM   #18
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
But, I insist, it's a matter of personal taste.

The perfect recipe for shortening MR threads.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 02:36 AM   #19
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Whereas I edit the books with Sigil or calibre to give me what I consider to be a reading experience close to that of a paper book.
It takes me twice to three times the time to read an ebook formatted as closely as possible to the paper book, as in my formatting.

And why do I need a look as digitally similar as possible when I have the original?

With paper-like formatting, I still read letter by letter - as a transitional aid, there are the serifs, because the different lengths of the blanks and letter spacing inhibit the flow of reading.
The advantage of serifs is that they make it easier to grasp the individual letters, by transitioning from one letter to the next - but they make it more difficult to grasp a word or a group of words at a glance.

With my fomatization, I pick up groups of words at a glance, which is decidedly faster.

With a paper book or similarly formatted ebook I read about 100 pages/hour - with my formatting I get equvalent of 200-300.
So I recently read the USA trilogy (German translation) and needed not quite 6 hours.

But that's my own way of reading and for that I need a fast device where I don't have to wait for seconds to turn the pages and an application where I can reach as many functions as possible with a tap on the screen (about 20 with the AlReader).

In addition, it happens that I want to look up something in an encyclopedia while reading (Kiwix with Wikipedia.)

And I can find something like that with EInk devices only with the Chinese androids.
Tolino is a bit slower when turning pages.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 03:32 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
It takes me twice to three times the time to read an ebook formatted as closely as possible to the paper book, as in my formatting.
What formatting do you prefer for eBooks?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2021, 03:45 PM   #21
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What formatting do you prefer for eBooks?
To quote a previous message from @otischwenk:

Quote:
my readers with a very specific formatting: landscape format, two columns, Arial, left-justified, paragraph spacing, no first line indentation.
Basically, he wants to read a text document in two columns. I may not be the best person to talk about reading speed but I tried his suggested format and I did not find any increase in reading speed much less the tripled reading speed he claims.
Old 05-25-2021, 11:23 PM   #22
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
best person to talk about reading speed but I tried his suggested format and I did not find any increase in reading speed much less the tripled reading speed he claims.
With a (sporadic) attempt this does not work either - there you also only read letter by letter.
With a lot of practice you get to know the pictures of the words - and only then it becomes fast.

Of course it happens again and again that a picture is not recognized; then it becomes slow again, because letter for letter is read.

The simpler the font (sans serif) with non-variable letter spacing, the easier it is to remember word pictures.

I only know how it works for me - but not for others

Last edited by ottischwenk; 05-26-2021 at 12:33 AM.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 12:43 PM   #23
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
With a (sporadic) attempt this does not work either - there you also only read letter by letter.
With a lot of practice you get to know the pictures of the words - and only then it becomes fast.

Of course it happens again and again that a picture is not recognized; then it becomes slow again, because letter for letter is read.

The simpler the font (sans serif) with non-variable letter spacing, the easier it is to remember word pictures.

I only know how it works for me - but not for others
My reading speed is currently in the 1000 WPM neighbourhood which is why I said that I might not be the best person to test the reading speed changes that you claim for your methodology.

However what you are stating above sounds suspiciously like the "whole language/three cues" method of teaching children to read. The methodology that produced readers who had difficulty differentiating between words such as 'horse' and 'house. You might want to check out Progress in Understanding Reading by Keith E. Stanovich whose research on reading back in the 70's is still some of the best work in the field.