Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 07-02-2021, 02:55 AM   #2266
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
To be honest, I don't recall ever noticing a connection status. I assumed, incorrectly, that since I had always made manual backups that automated ones would work as well. What happens "under the hood" that is different between manual/automated?
If you have any of the automatic options configured, the plugin gets called each time a device is connected. It checks if the device is a Kobo device and runs whatever is needed. If the actions are specific to a device, then it runs whatever is supposed to be run for that device. And the device is based on the id saved and if it matches the id that calibre gets from the device.

The manual options for storing the reading status is the same as the automatic option. The manual backup does the same thing as the automatic, but you are prompted where to put the backup and name the file.
Quote:
Currently there are four devices listed in the plugin, all of which display the correct s/n. There have been no factory resets, only patching applied with each firmware update (and Calibre 4.23 => 5.xx). I'll check for status icons at first available opportunity tomorrow, then should I just remove all devices and start from scratch?
If what you have agrees with your devices, I would leave them there and check when you connect that device. If it doesn't match then, you can remove the old one and add the correct details. I do this occasionally as some of my devices get reset for various tests and the stop being matched.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 01:05 PM   #2267
Happy_Reader
Happy_Reader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Happy_Reader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Happy_Reader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Forma
Kobo forma not connecting with Calibre

I have been using my Kobo forma for several years with Calibre (on linux). Recently - last weekend - calibre is unable to connect to the device.
I did a full reset of the device, same result. Linux can connect to the device, I can copy/delete files to the device using linux file manager. But calibre doesn't notice the device.

Using Kobo Utilities: v2.14.0
Calibre: 5.22.0
Kobo software version: 4.26.16704

It's not clear to me what changed. Any suggestions on what to try?
Happy_Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2021, 03:09 PM   #2268
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_Reader View Post
I have been using my Kobo forma for several years with Calibre (on linux). Recently - last weekend - calibre is unable to connect to the device.
I did a full reset of the device, same result. Linux can connect to the device, I can copy/delete files to the device using linux file manager. But calibre doesn't notice the device.

A better subforum in which to ask would be "Devices" where there is a specific sticky and connection problems are discussed in detail.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 03:33 PM   #2269
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
If you have any of the automatic options configured, the plugin gets called each time a device is connected. It checks if the device is a Kobo device and runs whatever is needed. If the actions are specific to a device, then it runs whatever is supposed to be run for that device. And the device is based on the id saved and if it matches the id that calibre gets from the device.

The manual options for storing the reading status is the same as the automatic option. The manual backup does the same thing as the automatic, but you are prompted where to put the backup and name the file.

If what you have agrees with your devices, I would leave them there and check when you connect that device. If it doesn't match then, you can remove the old one and add the correct details. I do this occasionally as some of my devices get reset for various tests and the stop being matched.
All four devices have connected w/icons. Again, no backup files were created automatically. I made manual backups for each device, as usual, with no problems.

I'm out of ideas.
Old 07-02-2021, 10:06 PM   #2270
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
All four devices have connected w/icons. Again, no backup files were created automatically. I made manual backups for each device, as usual, with no problems.

I'm out of ideas.
In that case, run calibre in debug mode and post the log after connecting one of the devices. I should be able to see what is happening from that.
Advert
Old 07-05-2021, 03:52 PM   #2271
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
In that case, run calibre in debug mode and post the log after connecting one of the devices. I should be able to see what is happening from that.
Prior to seeing your post, I decided to remove all devices and start over. I have added only one device, with the same data entered exactly as before. This time, a backup was created upon connection to the existing directory. For the moment, I plan to hold off on adding more devices until I am convinced all is well. If I had been doing something incorrectly previously, I am at a loss to what it may have been. Adding devices to the plugin is straightforward.

Thank you for your help!
Old 07-05-2021, 04:14 PM   #2272
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_Reader View Post

Try updating to calibre 5.22.1. There was an issue with 5.22.0 and Linux device detection.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 06:41 AM   #2273
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Update to version 2.14.1

I have just updated the plugin to fix a problem with the Order Shelves function. The only change is:
  • Fix: "DateModified" not qualified in query used in Order Shelves.

Calibre will announce the update in the next hour or so. If there are any problems, please report them hee.
Old 07-23-2021, 03:44 AM   #2274
Arararara
Arararara began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch , Paperwhite ,oasis , Kobo Elipsa
does using this plugin prevents my kobo from getting corupted ?cuz rn thats what happens every time i plug it in to pc
Arararara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 04:00 AM   #2275
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arararara View Post
does using this plugin prevents my kobo from getting corupted ?cuz rn thats what happens every time i plug it in to pc
No! The corruption seems to be an Elipsa only issue
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 02:49 AM   #2276
Minotaur
Enthusiast
Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.

Just had to restore my Forma database from an auto-backup, followed by restoring bookmarks. Glad I have this installed!
Minotaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 05:34 PM   #2277
targosh
targosh began at the beginning.

Is there a way to pull reading stats for each book from Kobo to the Calibre? I wanted to see my reading speed in a custom Calibre column.

Does anyone knows how to do it?
targosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 04:12 AM   #2278
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by targosh View Post
Is there a way to pull reading stats for each book from Kobo to the Calibre? I wanted to see my reading speed in a custom Calibre column.

Does anyone knows how to do it?
At the moment, no. Getting the time spent reading is possible, but has issues with accuracy and doesn't take into account reading the same book on multiple devices. I may add it if I have time.
Old 08-09-2021, 05:46 PM   #2279
targosh
targosh began at the beginning.

Thumbs up

Quote:
At the moment, no. Getting the time spent reading is possible, but has issues with accuracy and doesn't take into account reading the same book on multiple devices. I may add it if I have time.
Thanks David. You're doing a great job with this plugin anyways so I don't wanna ask for too much. If I knew how to write code/plugin I'd help. However I noticed in the Kobo database that the record for time spent reading is stored in it but not in the book metadata. Is that what you are refering to? I'm not sure why this would have issues with accuracy but I thought that storing this information in the Kobo database and not in the metadata actually helps with info for multiple devices. Anyways, hope you have time to implement it the way you think is best.
targosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 07:50 AM   #2280
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by targosh View Post
Thanks David. You're doing a great job with this plugin anyways so I don't wanna ask for too much. If I knew how to write code/plugin I'd help. However I noticed in the Kobo database that the record for time spent reading is stored in it but not in the book metadata. Is that what you are refering to? I'm not sure why this would have issues with accuracy but I thought that storing this information in the Kobo database and not in the metadata actually helps with info for multiple devices. Anyways, hope you have time to implement it the way you think is best.
The time reading is actually stored in two places. There table called "Events" which stores all sorts of information about what happens as you use the device. For books, it stores details about when you open and close the book, how long you are reading for each time, how often you use the dictionary and even how many page turns you do. A lot of this is stored in a blob which I do not know how to decode. Some of this is synced, some isn't.

There are some easier to see columns for time spent reading and when the book was opened elsewhere in the database. This does not appear to be synced. It is effectively the time spent reading a book on the current device. If you read on multiple devices, there isn't really a way to tell what the total time taken is. (Get 10 minutes from one device, then 10 minutes from another. Then, when you plugin in a device, it now has 20 minutes. Without recording each time period and which device it came from, there is no way to know if that is a new 20 minutes, or includes one of the earlier records.)

The accuracy of the time recorded has been questioned by plenty of people in the Kobo forum. It's been a while since I bothered to work it out. But, a simple issue is that it includes time when you aren't actually looking at the device. That includes the time between putting the device down and it going to sleep. I have the sleep timer set to 15 minutes. That is frequently triggered, but, it is included in the time the device records for reading. And has been particularly bad while the Olympics was on. I'd be reading in front of the TV, look up to watch an event, and come back when I notice the ereader screen flash as it sleeps. It meant lots of extra time when I wasn't actually reading.

The other part is simply the code needed. It needs a new column, plus all the checks to make sure it is updated correctly. I cleaned this up earlier in the year, so it won't be that bad, but it still takes time. And adding it also prompts the question about what other stats, useful or otherwise, can be extracted. Adding this has been in the back of my mind, but, so far I have been able to convince myself it is not something I am interested in

Tags
kobo, kobo utilities