Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-24-2014, 04:42 AM   #1
tosca30
Enthusiast
tosca30 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Interface and preferences questions

I'm in the process of writing a rather big non-fiction book straight in Sigil, but am being hindered by a couple of behaviours:
  1. I work in code mode, but there is sometimes a signicant reponse time for my edits to be processed; more annoying, even a simple selection seem to take time. I guess the program is doing/checking something in the background. Is there a way to deactivate this?
  2. I use a default stylesheet in order to do consistent styles definitions for the whole document, especially to integrate fonts. But each time I re-generate the HTML TOC, the connection with the default stylesheet is lost. Is there a way to make it permanent?
  3. At this stage, I need to reorganize the titles and their content quite often. How can I do without having to cut and paste code from one location to another of the document?

Thanks for helping.
tosca30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:09 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tosca30 View Post
I'm in the process of writing a rather big non-fiction book straight in Sigil, but am being hindered by a couple of behaviours:
Sigil is primarily an editor not an authoring tool. You may want to consider writing your book with a word processor or a dedicated authoring tool.

Quote:
I work in code mode, but there is sometimes a significant response time for my edits to be processed; more annoying, even a simple selection seem to take time.
This usually only happens if the whole book is a single .html file. You may want to consider splitting it up in chapters using Split Markers. This will greatly improve the responsiveness of Sigil.

Quote:
I use a default stylesheet in order to do consistent styles definitions for the whole document, especially to integrate fonts. But each time I re-generate the HTML TOC, the connection with the default stylesheet is lost. Is there a way to make it permanent?
AFAIK, the styles in the default TOC style-sheet (sgc-toc.css) are hard-coded. However, you can add TOC styles to your main stylesheet and link TOC.xhtml to it.

Quote:
At this stage, I need to reorganize the titles and their content quite often. How can I do without having to cut and paste code from one location to another of the document?
AFAIK, only dedicated authoring tools have this feature, which is one more reason to use Sigil only for fine-tuning the books that they create.

Last edited by Doitsu; 11-24-2014 at 05:18 AM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2014, 05:26 AM   #3
tosca30
Enthusiast

Thanks for your answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Sigil is primarily an editor not an authoring tool. You may want to consider writing your book with a word processor or a dedicated authoring tool.
Point taken.
I did begin with Writer at first, but found out that the conversion required a lot of manual tuning, especially as I have a lot of images and screencopies to include. As it is, I can now upload the work in progress on the KDP website and check the result in Kindle mode.

Quote:
This usually only happens if the whole book is a single .html file. You may want to consider splitting it up in chapters using Split Markers. This will greatly improve the responsiveness of Sigil.
I don't think that is the reason as I already have quite many HTML files. Maybe the number of titles? or images?

Quote:
AFAIK, the styles in the default TOC style-sheet (sgc-toc.css) are hard-coded. However, you can add TOC styles to your main stylesheet and link it to TOC.xhtml.
I also use the default TOC style-sheet. But the fonts (and some other standard styles) are defined in another stylesheet that is shared by all the HTML files of the whole document. As for now, I have to re-link this additional sheet to the TOC every time I re-generate the HTML TOC.

Quote:
AFAIK, only dedicated authoring tools have this feature, which is one more reason to use Sigil only for fine-tuning the books that they create.
Could it be submitted as a feature request? Sigil already has a lot of very interesting automaticisms; this one would be a good addition, I think.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:40 AM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't think that is the reason as I already have quite many HTML files. Maybe the number of titles? or images?
What's the average .html file size and the overall .epub file size?

Quote:
As for now, I have to re-link this additional sheet to the TOC every time I re-generate the HTML TOC.
That's what I do, too. And while it's somewhat annoying, it doesn't bother me enough to make a feature request to change this behavior, because only do this once per book.

Quote:
At this stage, I need to reorganize the titles and their content quite often. How can I do without having to cut and paste code from one location to another of the document?

Could it be submitted as a feature request? Sigil already has a lot of very interesting automaticisms; this one would be a good addition, I think.
That depends on the feature(s) that you have in mind. What kind of feature(s) would you like to see?
Old 11-24-2014, 06:01 AM   #5
tosca30
Enthusiast

Quote:
Around 10/15 Ko, the HTML TOC being 27 Ko.
And 4.9 Mo for the whole EPUB.

Quote:
That's what I do, too. And while it's somewhat annoying, it doesn't bother me enough to make a feature request to change this behavior, because only do this once per book.
I do it quite often as the HTML TOC is the easiest way to navigate through the book. I guess I don't need to relink the sheet each time, though...

Quote:
That depends on the feature(s) that you have in mind. What kind of feature(s) would you like to see?
From what I see, promote/demote a title is possible using the TOC generate function. What is missing is the ability to move a title elsewhere: I can see the buttons in the TOC edit window, but they don't seem to act on the document itself; only on the TOC file.
Advert
Old 11-24-2014, 07:49 AM   #6
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Quote:
Around 10/15 Ko, the HTML TOC being 27 Ko. And 4.9 Mo for the whole EPUB.
Average ePubs are usually in the 300KB to 1MB range. If your html pages reference a lot of large images, maybe downscaling them might reduce the overall file size and the overall responsiveness of Sigil.

Quote:
Quote:
That depends on the feature(s) that you have in mind. What kind of feature(s) would you like to see?.
From what I see, promote/demote a title is possible using the TOC generate function. What is missing is the ability to move a title elsewhere: I can see the buttons in the TOC edit window, but they don't seem to act on the document itself; only on the TOC file.
I'm assuming that you mean chapters/subchapters by "titles." While you cannot rearrange chapters in the Generate Table of Contents dialog box, you can easily rearrange the order of chapters in the Book View window using drag & drop. You can also change their levels by changing the heading types from h1 to h2..h6 or vice versa.
If you know your way around a programmer's text editor you can also directly rearrange chapters by editing the spine section in content.opf. However, if your edits result in an invalid .opf file, Sigil will regenerate the whole .opf file.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:38 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Thanks for your answer.

Point taken.
I did begin with Writer at first, but found out that the conversion required a lot of manual tuning, especially as I have a lot of images and screencopies to include. As it is, I can now upload the work in progress on the KDP website and check the result in Kindle mode.

I also use the default TOC style-sheet. But the fonts (and some other standard styles) are defined in another stylesheet that is shared by all the HTML files of the whole document. As for now, I have to re-link this additional sheet to the TOC every time I re-generate the HTML TOC.

Sigil HTML TOC uses its own stylesheet. If it exists in the book, it will not be replaced upon regeneration.
Copy your stylesheet to the TOC stylesheet. (Do Not Change the name of the Sigil TOC sheet)
Clean it (only the Styles that are used on the TOC.xhtml remain) These styles may not be needed in the master sheet and will be cleaned IF you don't link the master to the TOC
The file size penalty is almost zip in the end

Last edited by theducks; 11-24-2014 at 10:41 AM. Reason: clarity
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:53 AM   #8
tosca30
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Copy your stylesheet to the TOC stylesheet. (Do Not Change the name of the Sigil TOC sheet)
Clean it (only the Styles that are used on the TOC.xhtml remain) These styles may not be needed in the master sheet and will be cleaned IF you don't link the master to the TOC
The file size penalty is almost zip in the end
Thanks for your input.
Do you mean I should use the TOC stylesheet as my default sheet?
It is not a matter of file size, but in order to avoid redundancy: I don't see any point in having the @font-face clauses defined in several different sheets, as they are the same for the whole document.

Last edited by tosca30; 11-24-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:49 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for your input.
Do you mean I should use the TOC stylesheet as my default sheet?
It is not a matter of file size, but in order to avoid redundancy: I don't see any point in having the @font-face clauses defined in several different sheets, as they are the same for the whole document.
Use both in your book (IMHO having a separate, dedicated CSS for single/limited use pages (eg all those boilerplate pages), is better than 1 big monster CSS

How many fonts are you using on the TOC?
Saving Half a dozen lines does not seem worth the hassle.

BTW WayBack when the HTML TOC feature was added to Sigil, there was a provision to set a customized DEFAULT sheet for the TOC, which might be useful if you always use the same styling
Old 11-24-2014, 12:00 PM   #10
tosca30
Enthusiast

Quote:
How many fonts are you using on the TOC?
Saving Half a dozen lines does not seem worth the hassle.
Currently, I have 6 of them. But it is still a work in progress as I work concurrently on the document content and on its layout.
So I'd rather keep them in one place only, and just keep on checking this one sheet link every time I need to check the HTML TOC layout.

Quote:
BTW WayBack when the HTML TOC feature was added to Sigil, there was a provision to set a customized DEFAULT sheet for the TOC, which might be useful if you always use the same styling
You could always use the "add existing file" feature once, if the issue is to reuse the same style sheet from one document to another.
I'm much more interested in keeping the styles consistent through the whole document, including its TOC; and regrets that the link that has been established once is lost every time the TOC is generated.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:52 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Currently, I have 6 of them. But it is still a work in progress as I work concurrently on the document content and on its layout.
So I'd rather keep them in one place only, and just keep on checking this one sheet link every time I need to check the HTML TOC layout.

You could always use the "add existing file" feature once, if the issue is to reuse the same style sheet from one document to another.
I'm much more interested in keeping the styles consistent through the whole document, including its TOC; and regrets that the link that has been established once is lost every time the TOC is generated.
Why regenerate until the end

The HTML TOC is derived from the NCX. Keep that up-to-date (for testing)
IMHO use that during the books creation and update the 'place holder' TOC at the end.

It is all about logical work flow
Old 11-24-2014, 12:59 PM   #12
tosca30
Enthusiast

Quote:
Why regenerate until the end
Seems easier to navigate through the document.

Quote:
It is all about logical work flow
Logical work flow requires some software appropriation... that in itself requires some trials/errors/questions.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:18 PM   #13
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
[*]At this stage, I need to reorganize the titles and their content quite often. How can I do without having to cut and paste code from one location to another of the document?[/LIST]
If the content is in a separate HTML file, you can quickly reorder by just moving the files in the book browser.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 01:22 PM   #14
tosca30
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
If the content is in a separate HTML file, you can quickly reorder by just moving the files in the book browser.
Yes, thanks.
That's what I do with the highest levels; but I have up to 5 levels in some part and don't have a separate HTML for each of them.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:49 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats

I think you are stubbornly fighting doing it the Sigil way

Sigil uses H levels (in your case h1-5) to auto generate the NCX
(your CSS can assign the same style to all those, if that is what you want in the book). Ctrl+the H digit to quick reassign the current cursor BLOCKS TAG to the H#

Toxaris suggestion to drag the HTML section files to the proper order. (I have touched up books with 150+ TOC items. No problem)
Then regenerate the NCX . You can adjust the levels here. You can even Edit that heading here. click OK

BTW If you hover over the column head in the TOC generator, you will see a summary count of each level