Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-30-2017, 08:57 AM   #1
noddy
noddy began at the beginning.

Device: none
An idea for calibre on NAS

I need to store my library on my NAS because...

A/ It's getting too big for my desktop
B/ My NAS is always on so I can access my books via one of the many calibre server Docker images.

I appreciate there are many posts saying a DB on a remote share is a big no no for Calibre so I propose this solution.

1 Run the Calibre client and DB on the desktop as normal
2 Change the book saving pattern from <author>/<title> to books/<author>/<title>
3 symlink books folder to the NAS by using mklink or ln depending on OS.
4 Assuming calibre server needs the db as well, run an rsync type job to mirror the sqlite files to the NAS whenever calibre desktop closes. You could do this manually or automatically

This would store the part that takes all the disk space on the NAS but keep the bits that need exclusive access local.

Would this approach work? Thoughts?
noddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2017, 11:23 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
See CALIBRE_OVERRIDE_DATABASE_PATH https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cus...ment-variables
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:49 AM   #3
noddy

Thank you for that info!

How would that work with multiple library? Can I somehow specify a different path for each library?
Old 12-01-2017, 06:52 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, you use it only with a single library. You need to switch libraries restart calibre with a different value for that env var. Which you can do by creating scripts/shortcuts to launch calibre.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:15 AM   #5
noddy

OK thanks I'll give that ago, my plan is ...

1 move database from the NAS to c:\cablibreDBs\library1
2 set CALIBRE_OVERRIDE_DATABASE_PATH to above location
3 open Calibre

Is that the right way of doing this?
Advert
Old 12-07-2017, 06:25 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No you put your library on the NAS, then copy out the metadata.db file from the library to an internal hard disk and set the env var to point to metadata.db