Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-11-2016, 03:23 PM   #31
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
See also:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=26

Specifically, the second part of that post and my reply following.

I.E: Build 'native' in a Debian/Jessie ARMel environment under emulation.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 11:24 PM   #32
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Alright, if anyone asks for a step by step, I'll give one ( or make a new post ), but I got an armel envirunment running under qemu - I havent tried doing it in the qemu-arm-static chroot yet, but I'm just running the whole system.

so:
Windows 10 ->
Debian 8.5 Desktop in VmWare Player ->
Debian 8.5 armel in qemu ->
gcc and scp and x11 oh my!

I succesfully compile lucidas kindle-evdev.c and linked to x11 on the armel env, and it ran jsut find on my pw3.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:13 AM   #33
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
Alright, if anyone asks for a step by step, I'll give one ( or make a new post )
it would be great!
encol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:10 PM   #34
lucida
Enthusiast
lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.

Device: PW3
@coplate
Sorry for the late reply. good to see you got everything working. My setup is a little different as I use Amazon's official toolchain. There is a HOWTO included in the source so just follow the instruction to install. To compile invoke the gcc like

~/opt/cross-gcc-linaro/bin/arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc xxx.c

To link X libs, first make sure the code compile in host, then copy headers from host's /usr/include/X11 to ~/opt/cross-gcc-linaro/arm-linux-gnueabi/usr/include/X11 and kindle's lib files(from a live system or extract from update image) to ~/opt/cross-gcc-linaro/arm-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib

A full arm chroot can do much more and my setup is kinda limited though.

---------------------
I can't get swipe working with XTest by simulating mouse button pressing, moving and button releasing, however it can be done with input_event and writing to kindle's touchscreen device. To do so, run evtest to get the events then reproduce the sequence.

XTest works only in native reader(that's how xdotool works) and input_event works on both native reader and KOReader.

Attachment shows few different ways to simulate input. Hope it helps.
Attached Files
File Type: zip fakeinput.zip (16.0 KB, 467 views)
lucida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:12 PM   #35
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hey all - I got Keyboard working, and it works in the search boxes too.

I commented out makexconf in /etc/upstart/x.conf
I made my filesystem rw
then I added this to /etc/x.conf and killed x proccess, so it rereads this ( restart x doeswnt re-read the upstart x file )

Quote:
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "keyboard"
Driver "evdev"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/event2"
Option "CoreKeyboard"
Option "AlwaysCore"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Kindle"
Screen "Kscreen"
InputDevice "multitouch" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "keyboard" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection
This won't gracefully handle the input# changing, nor would it work will on reboot etc.

And bt replacing the "multitouch" section with this:
Quote:
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "mouse"
Driver "evdev"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/event3"
Option "CorePointer"
Option "AlwaysCore"
EndSection
I am able to have my mouse drive around the screen, but still no mouse pointer is visible.

I was hoping that was a feature of the multitouch driver, and switching to evdev would make it show up.

Last edited by coplate; 08-14-2016 at 11:56 PM.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:49 PM   #36
coplate
Guru

I found the cursor.

Quote:
[root@kindle /etc]# grep -ri cursor *
upstart/firsttime:# Symlink the xorg cursor to the empty one
upstart/firsttime:[ ! -L /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc/cursor.pcf ] && \
upstart/firsttime: mount_rw && (f_log I firsttime cursor "Linking Xorg cursor" && \
upstart/firsttime: ln -sf /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc/emptycursor.pcf \
upstart/firsttime: /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc/cursor.pcf)
I copied my debians /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc/cursor.pcf.gz to <kindle>/mnt/us/cursor, and ungzipped it.
Then I ran
Quote:
mntroot rw
ln -sfn /mnt/us/cursor/cursor.pcf /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc/cursor.pcf
restart x
And now the cursor shows up, so if your touch digitizer is dead, you can use a real mouse!

Edit: but it doesn't draw when you move it, only when you click, rats.

I've got a secod script that can be run with it - that on keypress will refresh the screen, showing the cursor but this requires a keyboard/mouse combo like I have.

Last edited by coplate; 08-15-2016 at 12:11 AM.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:19 AM   #37
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
I found the cursor. ...
And now the cursor shows up, so if your touch digitizer is dead, you can use a real mouse!

Edit: but it doesn't draw when you move it, only when you click, rats.

I've got a secod script that can be run with it - that on keypress will refresh the screen, showing the cursor but this requires a keyboard/mouse combo like I have.
Thanks! My PW3 needs this. Flaky touchscreen.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 03:40 PM   #38
coplate
Guru

I also found that with the keyboard, Up Arrow and Down Arrow turned he page without me needing to do anything ( that's with the xorg.conf changes, but no extra deamon running )
Old 08-15-2016, 04:06 PM   #39
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does tab switch between books?
Old 08-15-2016, 04:13 PM   #40
coplate
Guru

I didn't try, I think its based on what the hardware keypad on kindle with the keypad does things. Do you know if it moves through things?
Old 08-15-2016, 04:20 PM   #41
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I didn't try, I think its based on what the hardware keypad on kindle with the keypad does things. Do you know if it moves through things?
I do not know, I was just dreaming.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:43 PM   #42
coplate
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Does tab switch between books?
In book and on the home page,

Up -> "Prev Page"
Down -> "Next Page"

So previous page / Next page - whether there is an overlay ( like menu in book - or book details on home page )

I'm going to plug in a real keyboard, and check page up etc, that my handheld one doesn't have.

Scroll lock triggers screenshot with windows info list
Quote:
wininfo_screenshot_2016_08_15T15_38_15-0500.txt
screenshot_2016_08_15T15_38_15-0500.png
Home -> Takes me to the home screen

I don't see any other useful keys. If someone withthe kindle with buttons could run evtest on the device, and see what the codes are, we might be able to compare

Quote:
Event: time 1471293764.365480, type 4 (Misc), code 4 (ScanCode), value 70052
Event: time 1471293764.365496, type 1 (Key), code 103 (Up), value 1
Event: time 1471293764.365504, -------------- Report Sync ------------
Event: time 1471293764.509480, type 4 (Misc), code 4 (ScanCode), value 70052
Event: time 1471293764.509495, type 1 (Key), code 103 (Up), value 0
Event: time 1471293764.509501, -------------- Report Sync ------------
Event: time 1471293770.517467, type 4 (Misc), code 4 (ScanCode), value 70051
Event: time 1471293770.517484, type 1 (Key), code 108 (Down), value 1
Event: time 1471293770.517491, -------------- Report Sync ------------
Event: time 1471293770.605409, type 4 (Misc), code 4 (ScanCode), value 70051
Event: time 1471293770.605417, type 1 (Key), code 108 (Down), value 0
Event: time 1471293770.605420, -------------- Report Sync ------------
Event: time 1471293773.013474, type 4 (Misc), code 4 (ScanCode), value 7004a
Event: time 1471293773.013491, type 1 (Key), code 102 (Home), value 1
Event: time 1471293773.013500, -------------- Report Sync ------------
Event: time 1471293773.093483, type 4 (Misc), code 4 (ScanCode), value 7004a
Event: time 1471293773.093498, type 1 (Key), code 102 (Home), value 0
Event: time 1471293773.093503, -------------- Report Sync ------------
Event: time 1471293778.237466, type 4 (Misc), code 4 (ScanCode), value 70047
Event: time 1471293778.237481, type 1 (Key), code 70 (ScrollLock), value 1
Event: time 1471293778.237487, -------------- Report Sync ------------
Event: time 1471293778.341469, type 4 (Misc), code 4 (ScanCode), value 70047
Event: time 1471293778.341480, type 1 (Key), code 70 (ScrollLock), value 0
Event: time 1471293778.341487, -------------- Report Sync ------------

/etc/xdg/awesome/rc.lua has this Idont get anyhting for f1-f4 or J and F, but I may not be looking in the right place.
Home. ScrollLock, C and X work
Quote:
-- {{{ Key bindings
globalkeys = awful.util.table.join(
awful.key({ "Any", }, "F1", nil, accelerometerPortraitUp),
awful.key({ "Any", }, "F2", nil, accelerometerPortraitDown),
awful.key({ "Any", }, "F3", nil, accelerometerLandscapeLeft),
awful.key({ "Any", }, "F4", nil, accelerometerLandscapeRight),
awful.key({ "Any", }, "Home", handleHomeKeyDown, handleHomeKeyUp),
awful.key({ "Any", }, "Scroll_Lock", nil, screenshot),
awful.key({ "Shift", }, "j", print_dbg_info),
awful.key({ "Shift", }, "f", dumpFocusInfo),
awful.key({ "Shift", }, "c", function() log("shift c down") end, chrome_raise),
awful.key({ "Shift", }, "x", function() log("shift x down") end, chrome_lower)
)
-- }}}

Last edited by coplate; 08-15-2016 at 05:25 PM.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:52 PM   #43
coplate
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Thanks! My PW3 needs this. Flaky touchscreen.
@geekmaster, I do have a fully functioning program that can give you a mouse pointer, and show it on the screen, I'll need a little bit to get it packaged up to a KUAL extension.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:14 AM   #44
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
@geekmaster, I do have a fully functioning program that can give you a mouse pointer, and show it on the screen, I'll need a little bit to get it packaged up to a KUAL extension.
Thanks. That should help me get unstuck when doing testing where I need menu access when the touchscreen is acting up.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:20 AM   #45
knc1
Going Viral

As a KUAL extension?
Aren't you creating a catch-22 situation?

How does someone use a KUAL extension to install the external mouse handler when the touch screen isn't working?

To be honest, I know geekmaster knows how to execute a KUAL extension without a working touch screen but I don't think you can assume that everyone has that skill level.

Why not add a u-dev rule that installs the external mouse handler when the external mouse is plugged in?

Last edited by knc1; 08-17-2016 at 08:26 AM.

Tags
otg, usb