Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 01-24-2018, 05:33 AM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
delete post

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-24-2018 at 05:40 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 05:39 AM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Apropos of nothing much, but when I followed that link to amazon, under the heading "Sponsored products related to this item" the books listed were all "billionaire romance" and "mountain man romance" (I didn't even know they were distinct categories). Scary.
And even one book about Nazis. So that listing is not family friendly. So that link has to go.

I'll link to a family friendly edition of The Invisible Man.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:34 AM   #48
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And even one book about Nazis. So that listing is not family friendly. So that link has to go.

You should warn a person if you're going to pull something like that. I'll see your SciFi classic and raise you a contemporary thriller Memoirs of an Invisible Man.

In case anyone is not paying attention: neither of those have anything to do with literary satire on the link from CRussel. If we had an "Unseen" theme then all these would make great nominations (although the H.F. Saint novel does not appear to be available as an ebook).
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:11 AM   #49
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:

That's not the book he was trying to link to.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:17 AM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
You should warn a person if you're going to pull something like that. I'll see your SciFi classic and raise you a contemporary thriller Memoirs of an Invisible Man.
Sorry, but that contemporary book isn't acceptable due to no eBook.

Actually, I do think that a Metamorphosis (body modifications) theme would be a good one.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:42 AM   #51
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Rather than start yet another thread, I've altered the title to Jon's thread (hope you don't mind, Jon) to make this the Official Theme Suggestion Thread. I'll copy and paste suggestions from other threads as well, but if I miss something out, feel free to add it.

Limitations, such as they are:
  • No genres
  • No topics from either of the other clubs, at least from within the reasonably recent past.

If a topic seems just the thing to you, by all means support it. We won't be having a poll but using squishy criteria to set the slate with regard to input and balance. Right now, we're looking to set the slates for the discussions in May, June, July and August. In another few months, we'll set the slate for the rest of the year. Keep in mind that we're only picking four more themes right now; if your favorite doesn't make it this time, that doesn't mean it's been rejected.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:56 AM   #52
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A few from a different thread:
  • Food
  • My favorite book that no one's ever heard of
  • A book from your home area
  • A book that is by or about someone from an indigenous culture
  • Children
  • Best Friends
  • Family
  • Places

Obviously we could come up with more fun ways to express these; I'm just trying to pull some thoughts together.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:13 AM   #53
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Wanderlust - A book set somewhere you want to visit

A city in the title

Help reduce my TBR - a book you own but haven't read, a book a friend recommended

Something related to grammar and punctuation. I'm not sure how to express this idea. I'm thinking of books that have apostrophes or ampersands in the title as an example.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 11:43 AM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
My favorite book that no one's ever heard of
Um...I don't see how that can work. Someone has to have heard of it to be a favorite. Also, if someone else was to have heard of it, doesn't that disqualify it as well?
Old 01-24-2018, 11:50 AM   #55
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Um...I don't see how that can work. Someone has to have heard of it to be a favorite. Also, if someone else was to have heard of it, doesn't that disqualify it as well?
Just curious, has anyone ever told you not to be so literal?

I'll rephrase that: We're trying to have fun here; don't be a buzzkill.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:03 PM   #56
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Revenge (a theme, not a comment on the previous post )
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:55 PM   #57
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I like the school theme.

My suggestion is war.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 02:01 PM   #58
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Both revenge and war appeal to me.

(School does, too, but I think that's a nice fit for September.)
Old 01-24-2018, 02:12 PM   #59
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Travel, or foreign places. (Obviously, what's foreign to me is different than what's foreign to you.) So Travels with Charlie is foreign to me, as is Aaron Fletcher's Outback. But both of those would be 'local' (if one can call anything local in countries the size of Australia and the US) to others in the club. OTOH, Out in the Midday Sun is probably foreign to nearly all of us.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 03:19 PM   #60
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Books about music, art, theater
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote