Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 10-03-2019, 11:08 AM   #16
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGadAllah View Post
Because microsoft word consume a lot of time to adjust after converting and I've a lot of books so I can not waste the time as I am almost out of time indeed.
I did tried to remove the margin when I tried to print to .pdf using calibre viewer but how to reduce the margin and control to increase font size and do not add more contents in the same page after reducing the margins?
Thanks
Maybe your printer (settings) can do the 2 up (Brothers can do Pages per sheet up to 16)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 03:53 AM   #17
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Please I am trying to convert some .mobi & .epub to .pdf and always get a converted file with a lot of pages and font is very big.
If you're familiar with CSS, you can use the Calibre Prince PDF plugin to customize the PDF output.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2019, 12:42 PM   #18
RBRapha
RBRapha began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (4, 5 and PW)
Lightbulb Converting

Quote:
Hi,
I've a lot of .mobi and .epub ebooks and I need to print the books to study.
Thanks
You can use Calibre¹
After download and install (or just download if you use portable version), drag and drop your mobi/epub file on Calibre.
Now use one of these options:

Option 1:
Right click on it and choose "Convert books" and "Convert individually". On top, right side, choose Output format: PDF" and click Ok.
(You can even choose DOCX as output format and change margin layout on Word)

Option 2:
Double click on your ebook, Calibre will open it in a new window. Click on printer icon (the last one on left bar) or type Control+P. You can choose paper size and margins, as well as add page numbers.

(By the way, I didn't know the 2nd option and it's very useful!!!)

Raphael Romero Barbosa
-----------
¹ Calibre is available for Windows (installer and portable, 32 and 64bit), MacOS and Linux on its page and as PortableApp in this page. On Linux, it can be installed from your distro's default program installer.
RBRapha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 01:34 PM   #19
RBRapha
RBRapha began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (4, 5 and PW)
Lightbulb 3 steps, but each of them can solve other problems too

Quote:
Hi,
I've a lot of .mobi and .epub ebooks and I need to print the books to study.
Thanks
There's another process to convert epub/mobi to PDF. It requires more steps (open file with printing allowed, virtually print to a PDF file and cutting margins).

Maybe it's interesting just because of that: a intermediate step can solve anyone's problem (examples bellow on each step).

1st step - Open PDF using Sumatra PDF

Small advantages:
  • SumatraPDF (free program) can open PDF, eBooks (ePub, Mobi), XPS, DjVu, CHM and Comic Book (CBZ and CBR).
  • It's very fast (even faster than Acrobat when opening a PDF).

Sumatra PDF runs on Windows (and Linux + Wine). It's available for Windows as installer and portable versions, both 32 and 64 bits here and also as a PortableApp here.

Download and install Sumatra PDF (or just download if you prefer portable version), click on menu (three horizontal lines on left top of window), go to "Settings" and "Advanced Options...".

It will open a txt file in Notepad. Search for "EbookUI [" (it must be in the beginning of file, so it's not hard to find). It is a section with particular settings to EPUB and MOBI files. You will see a line "UseFixedPageUI = false". Change "false" to "true", so it becomes "UseFixedPageUI = true".

Now open your epub/mobi file.

2st step - Generate PDF file

Small advantages:
  • You will be able to generate a PDF file from any program with print option, including every office suite, internet browser and even Notepad!
  • I suggest you to use Doro PDF Writer: it can generate PDFs with open, copy and paste or printing protection (password).
  • A PDF file is standard for printing academic (University) documents. Word used to change document margins and footer notes depending on which printer was installed. A document writer on my computer will lose formatting when printing on a friend's house or bureau. I don't know if it still happens, but I don't doubt.

After opening the file, just print (Menu, File, Print).

Use the PDF printer of your choice, like Doro PDF Writer (IMO the best, as I said above), Microsoft Print to PDF (bundle with Win10), Adobe PDF (paid), PDFCreator (free), etc.

3st step - Cut margins

Small advantages:
  • You can cut margins of PDF files prior to transfer to your Kindle/Kobo/etc. device, making better use of device's screen (I suppose it's a book you have in PDF or scanned PDF but not in a better file type as epub or mobi).
  • You can cut headers (in general title of book and chapter) and footers (number of page) in a PDF, so these off-text informations don't get mixed with text after converted to epub/mobi.

Download Briss here or here.

Unzip it. Run it (briss-0.9.exe), click File, Load and choose PDF.

A dialog will open asking for pages "excluded from merging" (that is: pages excluded from cutting margin). For example, if you don't want to cut margins of cover, you can write "1", but usually we just click Cancel.

A window with blue rectangles will open and you can accept these automatic settings or add, remove, change size of them.

When ready, click Action, Preview to (duh!) get a preview, or Action, Crop to make changes. Save file.

Thanks for reading,
Raphael Romero Barbosa
RBRapha is offline   Reply With Quote