Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-12-2010, 11:52 AM   #31
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
Tuesday's result - one week +1 one day for all periodicals

Left wireless on last night by mistake after downloading a bunch of free science and math books. This morning all of my periodicals had seven issues in Periodicals with the Mon, 10/4 issue deleted and the Tue, 10/5 issue flagged.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:36 PM   #32
diokdin
Groupie
diokdin began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4, Astak EZ Pocket Pro, Kindle 3 3G
How do you make a Periodicals Collection? The Add to Collections on the news I got from Calibre is gray out. Could someone explain it to me how?

I can do other Collection for my ebooks but not the news/periodicals...
diokdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2010, 02:16 PM   #33
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
A Periodicals collection will be created automatically on your Kindle when you have magazine or newspaper subscriptions from Amazon or when you have Calibre-generated newsfeeds. When current issues are delivered to your Kindle the previous issues are moved into this Periodicals collection. It is not like a collection that you create. You can't create it, rename it, or remove it. If you remove all past issues from Periodicals, it will be automatically deleted.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:27 PM   #34
diokdin
Groupie
diokdin began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4, Astak EZ Pocket Pro, Kindle 3 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomF View Post
A Periodicals collection will be created automatically on your Kindle when you have magazine or newspaper subscriptions from Amazon or when you have Calibre-generated newsfeeds. When current issues are delivered to your Kindle the previous issues are moved into this Periodicals collection. It is not like a collection that you create. You can't create it, rename it, or remove it. If you remove all past issues from Periodicals, it will be automatically deleted.
I do have Calibre generated news feeds but there's no Periodicals folder that appears. Do you have to pay Amazon for the news subcription in order to have that features?
diokdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:57 PM   #35
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@diokdin: Make sure the output profile in the calibre conversion settings is set to Kindle.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2010, 08:09 PM   #36
HaoleKai
Enthusiast
HaoleKai began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I recently upgraded from a k1 to a k3. My biggest disappointment has been in how the k3 handles periodicals. I liked the way the k1 handled them.

I hate that the k3 won't let me categorize my newsfeeds. I really hate that it automatically puts them into the non-folder folder 'Periodicals: Back Issues', and I seriously hate that it by default automatically deletes issues. I'd be ok with it if I had a little more control over it.

So that's what I'm asking for here. Is there a way to set the 'Keep This Issue' flag from within Calibre at the time I set up the newsfeed? Whether it's a switch on the page, or a value set in the recipe, or a tag, it would be really nice to be able to set it once on certain feeds that I know I don't want automatically deleted. If that's not currently available, can I please request that here? I've looked and can't find anything like that.

Thanks.
HaoleKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:46 PM   #37
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

well if you set your output profile to something other than kindle, then the kindle wont recognize the files as periodicals. On the flip side you wont have the specialized periodical navigation.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:50 PM   #38
HaoleKai
Enthusiast

I thought about that, but I like the navigation.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:51 PM   #39
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I'm afraid I dont know of any other way to do it.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:26 PM   #40
HaoleKai
Enthusiast

Ok, thanks.
I assumed they would have exposed that flag in the API.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:06 PM   #41
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

It's quite possible they have, but given that:

1) Everything about Amazon and ebooks has to reverse engineered

2) MOBI is about as much fun to parse as it is possible for a format to be <sarcasm>

I have no way to be sure. And I certainly dont have the motivation to experiment.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:14 PM   #42
HaoleKai
Enthusiast

I completely understand. If it was easy, cool. If not, no problem. I just thought I'd ask in case no one had thought of it, or I was missing something.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:24 AM   #43
kidblue
Connoisseur
kidblue began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Thread resurrection!

I've currently got a large handful of feeds coming wireless to me via Calibre. I noticed today that quite a few of them went back much further than the seven-or-so issues that should be kept in the "Back Issues" collection, sometimes up to 13 or 14 issues.

The news feeds are all automatically coming from Calibre, so the metadata, etc. should match up. The Times, etc. They get downloaded, emailed and it all feels like clockwork, even their deposit into the "Back Issues", but then they seem to stick around much longer than they should. Some are flagged, some aren't.

Any thoughts or ideas as to how/why/rhyme/reason the Kindle (3) isn't just doing its automatic deletion?
kidblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:08 AM   #44
George's Kindle
Enthusiast
George's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: kindle 3
Once again thread resurrection

I am transfering news on my kindle through calibre using the usb connection - and I have also the problem that back issues are not automatically deleted. They are transferred automatically into the back issues collection and also become flagged for deletion, once the 7-issue limit is reached, - but they don't get deleted.

I worked through all the threads on this subject - but didn't get an answer why the auto delete function is not working properly.

Any suggestion would be highly appreciated.
George's Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 01:39 PM   #45
wakkaday
Groupie
wakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle Oasis
i would like to know how to delete back issues in calibre
i.e. bbc news etc that i have automated from get news in calibre.
its greyed out on the kindle 'delete back issue'
wakkaday is offline   Reply With Quote