Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-09-2019, 11:03 AM   #1
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Wifi Turned On Without My Input!

Amazon turned on my Oasis wifi this morning. I am so mad I am bouncing up and down.

I need to block this from ever happening again. thoughts and suggestions? if I can't stop them from doing this, it will go back immediately, no matter how much I love it, and I will buy readers other than theirs.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:30 AM   #2
mpeg2
Connoisseur
mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Just out of curiosity - why do you think that Amazon would reach out to your specific device & turn on its wifi? And, more interestingly, with wifi turned off, how could they communicate with your device?

Rich
mpeg2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2019, 11:53 AM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Never had that happen in all the years I've used Kindles. Strange.

If you use wifi on your Kindle seldom, you can make it forget the connection. So you'll need to type the password in again the next time you turn wifi on. It would be too bothersome if you needed wifi often, I expect.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:56 AM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Hmm... it seems to me there is a ghost or two haunting your home. Or possibly a poltergeist. Inexplicable page turns, now wifi turning itself on... I'm getting cold shivers just reading this.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 12:02 PM   #5
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeg2 View Post
Just out of curiosity - why do you think that Amazon would reach out to your specific device & turn on its wifi? And, more interestingly, with wifi turned off, how could they communicate with your device?

Rich
because evil has a name
Advert
Old 12-09-2019, 12:05 PM   #6
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Hmm... it seems to me there is a ghost or two haunting your home. Or possibly a poltergeist. Inexplicable page turns, now wifi turning itself on... I'm getting cold shivers just reading this.
maybe it is related to the other things, but I haven't turned it on and at 3am when I put it down it was still on airplane mode sooooo... just did a fr and no wifi in sight for anyone/thing to mess with. maybe that will help the other issues too. fingers crossed.

Amazon has always forced updates, which I loathe from any company, so I always keep it off. this is really too much.

Last edited by pghaworth; 12-09-2019 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 12:13 PM   #7
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
I wouldn't be happy either. Haven't heard of this happening to anyone before though. So something new or maybe the wi-fi got turned on by some other event.

What firmware version does your Oasis have?
Junket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 12:20 PM   #8
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junket View Post
I wouldn't be happy either. Haven't heard of this happening to anyone before though. So something new or maybe the wi-fi got turned on by some other event.

What firmware version does your Oasis have?
I can't imagine any event that would do that. dogs don't have access, no cats (I would believe that), I live alone.

5.12.2 is what I think it is. setting it up again without wifi. this won't happen to me again.

eta: and it wasn't connected to electrical

Last edited by pghaworth; 12-09-2019 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 12:32 PM   #9
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghaworth View Post
setting it up again without wifi. this won't happen to me again.

Good move. Maybe check that there aren't any open hotspots signals at your location too.

If Amazon is doing this to us, we'll start to hear more reports of it happening to other people sooner or later.
Old 12-09-2019, 12:39 PM   #10
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Good move. Maybe check that there aren't any open hotspots signals at your location too.

If Amazon is doing this to us, we'll start to hear more reports of it happening to other people sooner or later.
no. none of that afaik, but I will double check since my phone has that capability as does windows. what I don't get is how it could be flipped on without my intervention.

maybe I am naive, but is it possible for someone other than Amazon to do that? with no hotspots available (I checked) on my phone or windows. Amazon, I could see them putting a little surprise in my package.
Old 12-09-2019, 12:42 PM   #11
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
no. none of that afaik, but I will double check since my phone has that capability as does windows. what I don't get is how it could be flipped on without my intervention.

maybe I am naive, but is it possible for someone other than Amazon to do that? with no hotspots available (I checked) on my phone or windows. Amazon, I could see them putting a little surprise in my package.
In order for a kindle to leave airplane mode, there must be something in the firmware that decides to do it.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 12:44 PM   #12
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius

No plausible way that anyone other than Amazon could turn on your wi-fi remotely. Some chipsets will have a live signal coming in when wi-fi is "off". But it would have to be a certain type of exploited security vulnerability for a third-party to even try that - so very unlikely.

Could have been all kinds of unlikely things I suppose. In rough ranking, a cat, Amazon, a hacker, random gamma ray, deity with an axe to grind..
Old 12-09-2019, 01:16 PM   #13
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
No plausible way that anyone other than Amazon could turn on your wi-fi remotely. Some chipsets will have a live signal coming in when wi-fi is "off". But it would have to be a certain type of exploited security vulnerability for a third-party to even try that - so very unlikely.

Could have been all kinds of unlikely things I suppose. In rough ranking, a cat, Amazon, a hacker, random gamma ray, deity with an axe to grind..

not sure if it will be permanent, but now, with wifi not available at all, I cannot turn off recommendations and a lot of other settings are missing/not available. a lot. so I may set it up again, but really starting to want to return it in favor of another model or brand that doesn't hobble it's devices for want of wifi registration.

now when I hit home instead of going to my list of books I am sent to the recommendations page and I start gritting my teeth.
Old 12-09-2019, 01:37 PM   #14
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
now when I hit home instead of going to my list of books I am sent to the recommendations page and I start gritting my teeth.
That is the default behavior. To change that go to Settings, Advanced Options, Home & Library, Home Screen View. (I don't know whether or not this setting is available on an unregistered device.)
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 01:47 PM   #15
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
That is the default behavior. To change that go to Settings, Advanced Options, Home & Library, Home Screen View. (I don't know whether or not this setting is available on an unregistered device.)
it's not. there were virtually no settings available and the page turn buttons didn't fully function. no way to turn off recs, etc. really infuriating.

I have registered again and now I can configure everything and use the buttons when I need them.

I am really hoping this was some weirdness and not Amazon's doing, but for the life of me I can't think of anything else that would cause it. my mind was completely blown.

I have time, if I need to, I can send it back. it would make me really sad because of the screen. that's the only thing I'll miss. don't like the shape or size, but really love the screen and its options.

Last edited by pghaworth; 12-09-2019 at 01:49 PM.